Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Amps - what are the differences between models?

PeteJ

18 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I thought about that, but I'm trying to reduce space and that's why I thought about 2 1x12. To take one for small venues (my main giggs lately) and both to bigger ones. The ABM NEO 1x12 is relatively big compared to what I was considering.

I have also gigged with an old Vintage 12 (an low volume pop band I was in) and it sounded pretty good. I wonder how that would compare to the RM500 with the RM112.

I think it might be that the new ABM NEO 1x12 is bigger to get the best out of the driver?
A lot of 1x12 cabs are undersized to meet the lightweight, small form factor objectives first, tone second.
When I first saw it I was surprised, but it does make sense really.

I believe the newer RM 1x12 cab will be better than any older cabs, purely just because speaker technology is advancing. If you're after a more vintage tone though, the V12 cab might be a better fit.

Eude

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Would that be because of the drive adding harmonics? Also when looking at the manual the retroglide says 710 watts, not 800. I would bet that the newer RMs have a different power module to the older ones as they are now lighter, but from what I've read, the retroglide appears to be underpowered which is a shame.

The difference between 710 and 800 watts would not be detected by the human ear and the Retroglide is certainly not underpowered. As I have mentioned a number of times it needs a different approach to the vast majority of amps on the market and a chat with Dave Green, who designed it, enlightened me.

Also the Retroglide does not use the same Class D module as the Rootmaster.

6 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Would that be because of the drive adding harmonics? Also when looking at the manual the retroglide says 710 watts, not 800. I would bet that the newer RMs have a different power module to the older ones as they are now lighter, but from what I've read, the retroglide appears to be underpowered which is a shame.

Not sure on the insides but I had both versions of the RM500 for a while. I had the EVO1 version and loved it but bought EVO2 for the matt control panel (cursed middle aged eyesight), however if the 2 hadn’t have sounded like the 1 it would have gone back, happily it didn’t so the weight reduction hasn’t affected the sound or volume levels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

It is indeed.

I’m other side of the canal! 
monton

seriously thinking about another MK, got a class D amp should I ever get out of the house with my gear, so a regular analogue amp would be nice

and because I can! 

ive had an MK and a JJ, the JJ moved on when I got my Aguilar DB750. The MK was a few years later when I downsized all my gear when I hit 50, that eventually made way for a Genzler mogadon! 
The JJ came from ashdown and was one of JJ’s actual amps, all black, no rat logo. It was bought by a stranglers fan

I’ll hang on for now and see what comes up 

Tony 

Edited by sshorepunk

On 19/01/2021 at 22:38, la bam said:

The ctm300 breaks up the more you turn the gain (not the master volume). So you can pick you ideal sound using the 2 together (gain and master). Its not really to do with the vu on the valve amps, it's just using your ears to find the sweet spot.

I absolutely love mine. Actually got to gig it twice last year and it was magnificent. 

IMG_4550.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BassBunny said:

The difference between 710 and 800 watts would not be detected by the human ear and the Retroglide is certainly not underpowered. As I have mentioned a number of times it needs a different approach to the vast majority of amps on the market and a chat with Dave Green, who designed it, enlightened me.

Also the Retroglide does not use the same Class D module as the Rootmaster.

That is very true that 90W at that level would be virtually impossible to hear. But, running out of headroom and redlining the amp the whole time kind of defeats the purpose. Now all I'm saying is that from what I read there were reports that it was underpowered. I've never tried one. Hence my post was more of a question rather than "Didn't everyone know retroglides are rubbish?" type post.

The simple reason was I was toying with getting one until I saw the multiple negative comments about it's output.

The ABM IV has been out for quite a while? In terms of gear ( nothing wrong with that )  - I've been looking to embrace the love after selling my SVT Classic head unit and I am still using my D Amp back up ( Tech 21 VT500 ) 

The IV 600 for a Valve Pre amp at the very least with enough option for E.Q etc keeps hitting the bill during the nightly "lets just have a google session" .  I do adore Ampeg but double-ish the price....isnt justifying the purchase. 
Most of the musicians that I follow use the ABM's series so there is something my ear is tuned to more, I just really love the valve warming embrace sound.  

Has there been any sniffs of a Version V? 

• Like 1