Why become a member? ×

It’s rebuild time

BigJim

So today I scored this beauty 

image.thumb.jpeg.2f920eefd1dc1e025990c6bc8348f3ce.jpeg

off Facebook and have bought this neck for it on eBay (I checked and the only difference is the replacement neck is 0.5mm thicker than the GWB neck which is easily rectified!)

image.thumb.png.ae3c93a83358a4a0c1ad5017101538a6.png

so the plan is to strip the body and the headstock, plug one of the holes in the bass side of the headstock and drill an extra one on the treble side...

Then spray it chrome on the body and headstock and buff it shiny shiny! 

As I do it I’ll put up pictures but will be a long project! 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Why bother changing the Upstairs Downstairs... (Tuner direction?)

Ibby do both on their 5ers... worth running it up as-is first?... then seek a replacent tuner?

A replacement tuner plus shipping and now import etc is more than the new neck!! 

16 minutes ago, BassTool said:

Whoever requested that ramp got their money's worth 🤭

That looks like a cracking project 👌🏼👍🏼

That would be a certain mr Gary Willis, it comes stock on his signature Ibanez basses 🙂

• Like 1

So I stole half an hour before work today and got everything off the bass and had a look at the tuners on the neck and they fit yay! The only thing I’m conscious of is that they are reversed. Shouldn’t make too much of a different right? 

I’ve got a heat gun from my tech and am going to strip it (ooh err misses) over the weekend but I’m resisting telling my misses the heat gun is a hairdryer... 

Anyway, I stripped the electrics etc on the kitchen side so don’t tell Mrs BigJim! 

The ramp seems to be ash or something similar in grain and painted so I will chrome that... I was contemplating leaving it black if it was ebony!!! 

the neck fits beautifully and the tuners fit in... 

That’s it for today but we’ll see over the weekend what prevails!

D73E01F2-48DF-43E0-8401-00E77A0213BB.jpeg

2C3CDBE7-8919-4E8A-A728-B3D6B7997615.jpeg

080365D9-F376-4742-8B54-146BE2E89A3B.jpeg

F30C8606-0154-4BD4-8251-A2BCBC2D6FC8.jpeg

CA5D35D1-2545-45A9-8053-A333A48E773F.jpeg

F6E59E49-52DF-4340-B0D1-DE52B89B07F7.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Looking really good so far!!

Just out of interest what you doing with the old broken neck? 

Probably on the Bon fire. It’s beyond repair missing some bits of wood bro. The truss rod is working but slightly bent (where the neck has been broken). The fingerboard is also incomplete! 

why bro? 

2 hours ago, BigJim said:

Probably on the Bon fire. It’s beyond repair missing some bits of wood bro. The truss rod is working but slightly bent (where the neck has been broken). The fingerboard is also incomplete! 

why bro? 

I was just wondering if it was salvageable, if it was I was going to ask of you want to get rid of it as I'm after a 5 string neck at the mo 👍🏻

Edited by Jimothey

A bit of progress today before I just had a snow flurry which has hindered me because I want to prime the body for chroming so here it is so far...

it’s a 4 piece body... took a LOT of heat gun and scraping then sanding! Thank god for random orbital sanders!!!

442B9749-CBDF-4B7C-8E1A-FD7EA3F4EA6A.jpeg

CC4834DC-BFCA-4378-BE93-32A3731F18EE.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigJim said:

Apologies for the delay, the weather has meant I’ve had to stop for a bit till the snow goes and it gets a bit warmer... my garage is full of what seems redundant sound equipment! 

Take your time, wait for the suitable temperatures. No sense in wasting paint, then having to clean it up!

Are you going to paint just the body, headstock and ramp... or are you gonna refinish the whole lot - maybe the neck, the pickup cover, fingerboard, tuner keys? slap some silver or clear control knobs on it to complete the look (like a silverish version of the below, with matching pickups).

larry-graham.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I imagine the different materials may make that a nightmare with most paints. 

Edited by PlungerModerno

5 hours ago, PlungerModerno said:

Take your time, wait for the suitable temperatures. No sense in wasting paint, then having to clean it up!

Are you going to paint just the body, headstock and ramp... or are you gonna refinish the whole lot - maybe the neck, the pickup cover, fingerboard, tuner keys? slap some silver or clear control knobs on it to complete the look (like a silverish version of the below, with matching pickups).

larry-graham.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I imagine the different materials may make that a nightmare with most paints. 

I’m just doing the body ramp and headstock. I’m not messing around with neck finishes, the neck on this Ibanez iS actually really sweet so I’m leaving it as is! 

I’ve also recessed the knobs PRS style! 

16 hours ago, BigJim said:

I’m just doing the body ramp and headstock. I’m not messing around with neck finishes, the neck on this Ibanez iS actually really sweet so I’m leaving it as is! 

I’ve also recessed the knobs PRS style! 

Should be lovely. I think it's a nice fretboard, should come up lovely with a dash of oil or other finish/protectant.

Recessed knobs? Nice. Just don't make the wood too thin or you'll risk a cracking outcome!

So I have this morning off so I had to do somE surgery on the bass I built in lockdown 1.0 (there’s a build thread somewhere) ... After I had put shielding tape in the pickup cavities I did a rookie error and the wires came off the pickups as I think I yanked it a bit too hard! 

So I’ve just done some surgery (on a dipped Dimazio pickup it’s a nightmare!!!!) and it’s singing again!! 

E52DA350-A5A1-4A40-AFD3-26289D37183C.jpeg

EBB905E5-4B31-4A83-8330-5A3C1D5C9368.jpeg

• Like 5

On 12/02/2021 at 10:06, BigJim said:

So I’ve just done some surgery (on a dipped Dimazio pickup it’s a nightmare!!!!) and it’s singing again!!

EBB905E5-4B31-4A83-8330-5A3C1D5C9368.jpeg

Looks cool! How do you like that pickup placement? I'm thinking of doing the same, but inverted. And the wiring - I see stacked pots - separate tone and vol for each?

4 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Looks cool! How do you like that pickup placement? I'm thinking of doing the same, but inverted. And the wiring - I see stacked pots - separate tone and vol for each?

I chose it because it’s where my thumb goes! Inverted is the way Warwick did it which works great if you don’t want to put your thumb there!! 

That’s correct, stacked for each! I left enough room for an active EQ incase I wanted it but I chose 2 different pickups (1 Dimazio and 1 fender ‘57) to give different sounds! 

• Like 1