Jump to content

Scammer - Facebook Marketplace


fabbabass

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Tell tale signs of a scammer for me:

User only joined Facebook this year. Facebook has been around 15 years or so, if you've only just joined now and you're looking to buy gear... Nah. 

In fairness, I don't use Facebook - initially didn't want to, then had a job where it was discouraged, and now - no thanks. However, I have seen some stuff on FB marketplace which I haven't seen elsewhere, so (had it not gone) I would have joined just for that reason. Not everyone late to it is a scammer! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Jakester said:

In fairness, I don't use Facebook - initially didn't want to, then had a job where it was discouraged, and now - no thanks. However, I have seen some stuff on FB marketplace which I haven't seen elsewhere, so (had it not gone) I would have joined just for that reason. Not everyone late to it is a scammer! 

True. Its just one of the things I would look out for though. The guy who just bought a multi effect off me was completely sound, but he originally offered PayPal and sending his own courier, which is a way some scams are done. He was genuinely just trying to reduce cost and have some control. It's a minefield for both sides. In a separate post I've also pointed out people using English as a second language are always buying furniture and baby stuff I sell on local Facebook groups, so I'm not prejudicing against anyone without perfect English, but again it's something to watch out for. It's almost like trying to fill a bingo card! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

........ It's almost like trying to fill a bingo card! 

That's a good analogy. 

The best you can do is be aware of the warning signs, but there will be exceptions, some good some bad. I'd imagine that horrible fraudster, Mick Mason looked totally genuine with no alarm bells, unless you really researched. On the other hand I have bought things where the only way I could do the deal was to pay through PayPal and send a courier, which now looks dodgy as hell, I'm not out to scam anyone, but the seller doesn't know that. The scammers make it difficult for genuine buyers who live in regional extremes of the country as well as buyers. 

My son is selling a phone on Facebook, because of lockdown a lot of people have asked him to post it but I've told him it's just not worth it. The buyers want to pay through PayPal goods to protect themselves but that leaves my son wide open to getting scammed, even though most of these buyers are probably genuine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I wish I had seen this post a couple of weeks ago. Paid £67.50 for a PM4 monitor that was being advertised. Had upgraded to a PM5 thats the reason for sale. Never turned up, then found he still had the item up for sale and a PM5! Bank details were for Mathew Smethurst. Reported scam via Facebook but I doubt anything will be done. If the posts here are from Jan, he is still active taking peoples hard earned money 7 months on. Must be making a fortune! I will not be so naive next time, I thought Marketplace had traceability to follow up. You can't flag up to warn potential victims, as you can on ebay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

so I’ve just been ripped off by a guy who goes by the name of Mike Smethurst of Facebook marketplace, supposedly in Sheffield. Bought a bass pedal for £45, never turned up, no reply to emails and messages. Is that the same guy being discussed here possibly?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spcollins said:

Hi,

so I’ve just been ripped off by a guy who goes by the name of Mike Smethurst of Facebook marketplace, supposedly in Sheffield. Bought a bass pedal for £45, never turned up, no reply to emails and messages. Is that the same guy being discussed here possibly?

 


How did you pay?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Facebook marketplace seems to be totally uncontrolled. I think the only way I’d buy anything off there unless I was collecting it.

 

I’m very wary about selling stuff on there too, I’ve always insisted on cash on collection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Spcollins said:

Hi,

so I’ve just been ripped off by a guy who goes by the name of Mike Smethurst of Facebook marketplace, supposedly in Sheffield. Bought a bass pedal for £45, never turned up, no reply to emails and messages. Is that the same guy being discussed here possibly?

I would say there was a high probability that its the same guy as Matthew Smethurst 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like he's still active mikesmethurst on Facebook Market Place selling pedals that never arrive and then they can be seen back up for sale. Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay and Looper, Danelectro DTE-1 Reel Echo Tape Simulator Pedal plus Boss Chorus are what I can remember. He also had some Sonos and football memorabilia up.  My own stupidity allowed be to be taken in although his messaging banter was good and of course my purchase never arrived. Reported to Facebook and they can see the messenger conversation. So I think he is down now and I will be looking into ways to retrieve by money. Any advice on successful methods? Ideally he needs to be dealt with via the legal system once and for all.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jon08 said:

Looks like he's still active mikesmethurst on Facebook Market Place selling pedals that never arrive and then they can be seen back up for sale. Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay and Looper, Danelectro DTE-1 Reel Echo Tape Simulator Pedal plus Boss Chorus are what I can remember. He also had some Sonos and football memorabilia up.  My own stupidity allowed be to be taken in although his messaging banter was good and of course my purchase never arrived. Reported to Facebook and they can see the messenger conversation. So I think he is down now and I will be looking into ways to retrieve by money. Any advice on successful methods? Ideally he needs to be dealt with via the legal system once and for all.    

Action Fraud and/or the local police.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The police dont seem remotely interested.  How has  this thieving oik  still managed to be  striping folk ?  Its being going on over a year, and thats just here.

 

I guess the  law has bigger fish to fry

Edited by fleabag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

931405989_mikefraud.thumb.PNG.4cf7670944392afcad3bdbfb3fd9ee82.PNG

This is what he had up. Rest assured I will be going for him and need to get as many of those caught out in contact as these things always go better with the authorities if the scale of offending can be shown. So please spread the word on other forums as i suspect a large number of people have lost out and the method now looks to be lower value items so people just look to put it down to experience.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/01/2022 at 09:33, Jon08 said:

931405989_mikefraud.thumb.PNG.4cf7670944392afcad3bdbfb3fd9ee82.PNG

This is what he had up. Rest assured I will be going for him and need to get as many of those caught out in contact as these things always go better with the authorities if the scale of offending can be shown. So please spread the word on other forums as i suspect a large number of people have lost out and the method now looks to be lower value items so people just look to put it down to experience.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like I got scammed too. Tried to buy a Reel Echo pedals before Christmas. Seemed a bit of an obscure choice for a scammer so seemed legit. Chatted on messenger and all seemed fine. When I tried to pay through marketplace checkout it got cancelled five minutes later. He claimed not to know what was wrong and suggested PayPal. Should have rung an alarm bell when he asked if I minded sending payment as friends and family (which of course removes your protection)  but I stupidly paid up and even wished the b*stard a merry Christmas! Here we are weeks later - no response to messages and the feeling I’ve been had. Google his name and end up here. Not sure what I can do to recover money - Facebook didn’t take the cash and PayPal will no doubt say “you should have paid him as a business seller.” 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bill R said:

Looks like I got scammed too. Tried to buy a Reel Echo pedals before Christmas. Seemed a bit of an obscure choice for a scammer so seemed legit. Chatted on messenger and all seemed fine. When I tried to pay through marketplace checkout it got cancelled five minutes later. He claimed not to know what was wrong and suggested PayPal. Should have rung an alarm bell when he asked if I minded sending payment as friends and family (which of course removes your protection)  but I stupidly paid up and even wished the b*stard a merry Christmas! Here we are weeks later - no response to messages and the feeling I’ve been had. Google his name and end up here. Not sure what I can do to recover money - Facebook didn’t take the cash and PayPal will no doubt say “you should have paid him as a business seller.” 

Thanks for signing up for righteous bump. Complain to your local police fraud squad.

 

Someone had his actual bank account details up the thread. Cops should be knocking on his door verily once one takes an interest.

 

If you look in ''his cousin'''s thread Mike [Hunt] ( can't remember his actual name at the minute but exact same M.O.) there should be a link to a national crime squad focusing on these side income stream internet swindlers.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...