Why become a member? ×

Scammer - Facebook Marketplace

fabbabass

17 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Is anyone going to have the balls to go up against Facebook and the legal muscle they can muster, look how little effect being called to account by US government had; they just carry on doing what they do safe in the knowledge that noone has the will to stop them or hold them to account, unless a government really wants to enact new laws specifically for these sorts of organisations

It wouldn't be a legal action against Facebook. Facebook as a corporation hasn't done anything illegal, they just haven't done "enough" (a matter of opinion, not law) to protect buyers when people are telling them there is an *alleged* (do we have to say alleged??!) fraudster/ thief (a matter of law against the individual concerned) in plain sight. With people leaving Facebook in droves it might shame them into some kind of action, as we are only talking about bass pedals, you can guarantee that this is going on in all kinds of sub communities so there probably is a story there about rising crime of these sorts that may interest media. From what I understand though the Facebook moderator team spend their time reviewing and deleting some pretty horrific images and videos that come from much worse crimes and are incredibly busy doing that, the BBC ran an article on it a while back.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, pete.young said:

It seems that this crook is still active, and using the email address [email protected] , a close friend got ripped off by the same scam . An OC3 which appears in several of the screenshots about. Just in case anyone is keeping score.

Sign him up to a heap of magazines and junk to that mail haha

Si

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi, I'm a new member on here but have just been scammed by the same guy (I think). I bought a Boss OC3 pedal from a "Mike Smethurst" on FB market place. His banter and chat seemed friendly, we spoke about guitars and when I said it hadn't arrived he said sorry about that he'd send me the postal receipt but then stopped all correspondance. I sent an email to the address he gave me for the paypal payment (I stupidly agreed to friends and family as he seemed ok). Still no luck. The email he gave me was [email protected] I have reported it to Facebook and will contact Action Fraud and see what happens. I have attached a file containing my correspondance with him in case it helps anyone. Cheers, John

FB marketplace scam.odt

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, craddock adams said:

Hi, I'm a new member on here but have just been scammed by the same guy (I think). I bought a Boss OC3 pedal from a "Mike Smethurst" on FB market place. His banter and chat seemed friendly, we spoke about guitars and when I said it hadn't arrived he said sorry about that he'd send me the postal receipt but then stopped all correspondance. I sent an email to the address he gave me for the paypal payment (I stupidly agreed to friends and family as he seemed ok). Still no luck. The email he gave me was [email protected] I have reported it to Facebook and will contact Action Fraud and see what happens. I have attached a file containing my correspondance with him in case it helps anyone. Cheers, John

FB marketplace scam.odt 17.3 kB · 1 download

Oh boy - the previous incarnation of the scam included sending a postal receipt as a proof that the item was returned due to a failed delivery; the thing is, he gave several people the same return receipt reference number, which came to light as a result of sharing the details and was for delivery to him of another item entirely.

As far as Action Fraud goes; whether or not they decide to proceed is one thing, but you do get a crime reference number and also the possibility of centrally linking your case with others.

As ever, the advice is never use Friends and Family to pay for things (unless you really do know the person); the art of the con-man is to convince you that they are kindred spirits and if you assume the good in people then you are easy meat for them.

Similar caution applies to paying by bank transfer, but (some) banks may take action to reverse the transaction (with the aforementioned crime reference number) and get the recipient's account frozen.

Whilst of course there are many more genuine folks about than fraudsters, you simply have to take the risk of their being affronted by refusing unprotected payments; I have had something not go through because of that, but I stand by my rule.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not bass related, but I put my daughter's old bike up for sale on Marketplace, yesterday. Shortly after I got a message asking if it was available. The person had an eastern European name, but as there is a large Polish community in the area this didn't concern me. However, he then asked if he could send a CTT postman with cash to collect the bike and then send it to his home. If it hadn't been for seeing similar tactics described in this thread, I might have gone along with it. I checked the profile and he is in Poland. I can't see how it could be financially viable to buy an £80 kid's bike in Belfast and ship it to Poland.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 20:55, ambient said:

I’ve walked away from deals as a seller a couple of times. I know a few people who’ve been scammed when they’ve sold items. The buyer claims it’s faulty or not as described. There’s a thread on here somewhere from a few years ago, when someone tried to rip me off with a pair of studio monitors I was selling. I will accept PayPal, but not if they’re an absolute complete stranger i.e from gumtree or Facebook, where I can’t gauge their honesty.

Hi guys

I am currently selling a baritone guitar (here and on guitarchat) and been contacted by someone in America interested and offered to pay on paypal. I am concerned about bein scammed after delivery using the faulty item routine… what precautions shall I take if any? Any advice most welcome

58 minutes ago, carlitos71 said:

Hi guys

I am currently selling a baritone guitar (here and on guitarchat) and been contacted by someone in America interested and offered to pay on paypal. I am concerned about bein scammed after delivery using the faulty item routine… what precautions shall I take if any? Any advice most welcome

Don't take PayPal. Insist on bank transfer. Very few Americans have any knowledge of Swift so you can expect the 'buyer' will run a mile, especially when he has to organise and pay for his own courier and insurance, and deal with customs clearance one way or the other.

• Like 2

I have also been scammed! For a Boss DD3. Facebook profile under Mike Smethurst, but profile name under James smith. A previous profile picture used infact is someone I attended college with and names obviously don’t match. 

Edited by Ian22

On 30/04/2022 at 11:00, ambient said:

Something I have noticed on Facebook marketplace, is there’s now an option to ‘buy it now’ and complete the purchase through Facebook. 

How does that work, protection-wise?

Don’t know. I tried to use that option when I got scammed but he simply cancelled the payment and suggested PayPal instead. 

Well of course, because Paypal Friends and Family enables his scam.

I really wish Paypal would do something to discourage these kind of payments. as there are clearly huge swathes of people out there who don't realise how naive it can be to send a stranger money this way.  You'd think they would, given they're also being scammed out of fees every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Well of course, because Paypal Friends and Family enables his scam.

I really wish Paypal would do something to discourage these kind of payments. as there are clearly huge swathes of people out there who don't realise how naive it can be to send a stranger money this way.  You'd think they would, given they're also being scammed out of fees every time.

In fairness to PayPal, they are clear and it's up to folks to choose to think of someone they don't know as "Friends & Family".

• Like 5

Clearly Paypal could do more if they could be bothered, and so could the fraud squad. However, I think the takeaway from this thread is, unless I can pay when I collect (if I have it in my hands then at that point cash or even PPF&F is absolutely fine) or using a legitimate business paypal or other payment platform, then its too good to be true, so walk away and don't be scammed. Sorry of course to those who have fallen for this, we all love a good deal but need to decide if we can afford to lose the money when it goes bad. 😡

1 hour ago, prowla said:

In fairness to PayPal, they are clear and it's up to folks to choose to think of someone they don't know as "Friends & Family".

Well yes and no.  It isn't up to folks, its in violation of Paypals terms of use.  You are in effect defrauding Paypal if you pay for goods using friends/family.  I feel like there should be more scrutiny on payments you are making to a contact for the first time, even if its just additional questions like confirming their date of birth or other details that prove your connection to them is personal.  LOADS they could try, if they wanted to.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kev said:

Well yes and no.  It isn't up to folks, its in violation of Paypals terms of use.  You are in effect defrauding Paypal if you pay for goods using friends/family.  I feel like there should be more scrutiny on payments you are making to a contact for the first time, even if its just additional questions like confirming their date of birth or other details that prove your connection to them is personal.  LOADS they could try, if they wanted to.

They'd then get into loads of hassle when they blocked people sending to their mates, effectively calling their customers liars, etc.

I guess they can't win either way.

The bottom line is if you use F&F to send to people you don't know, then it's your risk; you've been warned.

(Can't believe I'm defending PayPal, but I guess if I'm not against them then I must be with them.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, prowla said:

They'd then get into loads of hassle when they blocked people sending to their mates, effectively calling their customers liars, etc.

I guess they can't win either way.

The bottom line is if you use F&F to send to people you don't know, then it's your risk; you've been warned.

(Can't believe I'm defending PayPal, but I guess if I'm not against them then I must be with them.)

I dunno, DOB seems like a real easy one.  How many friends or family members do you not, or can't easily find out, the DOB of?  Whereas I imagine scammers would be rather reluctant to disclose such information.