Why become a member? ×

Scammer - Facebook Marketplace

fabbabass

6 hours ago, Dan electro said:

I got caught out on Xmas! Cheeky feck said merry Xmas, I got conned out of £60 for a pedal, and he claimed that the post office was open and that he would be sending me my purchase. He blocked me yesterday 
I have screenshoted the evidence and I’m looking to help any way I can to bring this a*shole down 

Same here. Report him to the Police. He’s still on Facebook selling stuff right now. 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 11:04, fabbabass said:

As an update to fellow Chatters, the guy coordinating the FB victims (Steve Ripley), informed me that a few more people have been in touch with him and that another has filed a report with the Fraud portal for Cheshire Police.

If you have been ripped-off, please file reports adding as much detail as you can.

Thank you.

Time to blow up Steve's phone, it's only been a year of this.

• Like 2

Cannot believe he's still on there selling thought they had closed him down. I suspect he does not have any of the items he's "selling" but lifting the pictures from other folks adverts from Reverb and such. I will be looking into getting something done with Facebook it's rediculous that he's still getting away with this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Perhaps rather than reporting fraud, we should tell the police that Mason-Smeghurst has been speeding and has a gun. They'd be instantly down on him like a ton of bricks.

Better tell them he's been seen near a statue with a hammer.

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

:lol:

I can't understand the slow movement. That was a year ago that the report was filed with Cheshire Police. I mean, surely there's a huge mass of evidence against the guy by now, you'd think it'd be a cut & dried case for the babylon. I understand that they haven't exactly got thousand of spare officers, but you'd think they might have jumped at a potential quick win. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rich said:

Perhaps rather than reporting fraud, we should tell the police that Mason-Smeghurst has been speeding and has a gun. They'd be instantly down on him like a ton of bricks.

Charlie Smethurst is the name of a big league property developer / scam artist who was brought down in a major way. As far as I can tell there is as much proof Mark is his son as there is that Mason is Mark / Mike12 yada yada. 

He best way to get things moving with the Police is everyone provides how much they have lost and we can show he's probably on £300-£500 per week. Add that up and it's not the odd 45 quid a pedal it becomes more interesting to the Police. It would appear you can no longer go online to the local Police for Cyber crime you have to go to Action Fraud. I am about to contact them with my and some other peoples experience. If you have lost out to him PM me details and I will add them. If we can show the extent of his activities more chance of movement.  Also I am looking at Facebook as once they have been told how he is acting on the platform and given proof, they are breaking their own rules and in fact aiding the procedure of fraud. I have taken on national companies in the past and won a multi national would be even more fun........         

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 08/01/2022 at 17:34, fleabag said:

The police dont seem remotely interested.  How has  this  oik  still managed to be  striping folk ?  Its being going on over a year, and thats just here.

I guess the  law has bigger fish to fry

I maintain my original post. 

1 hour ago, Jon08 said:

I'm trying a different angle besides Action Fraud who i suspect are snowed under with all of this type of all too easy fraud.  

Make sure it’s logged with Action Fraud regardless; it is their job to coordinate nationwide. 

On 14/01/2022 at 20:47, Bill R said:

Looks like I got scammed too. Tried to buy a Reel Echo pedals before Christmas. Seemed a bit of an obscure choice for a scammer so seemed legit. Chatted on messenger and all seemed fine. When I tried to pay through marketplace checkout it got cancelled five minutes later. He claimed not to know what was wrong and suggested PayPal. Should have rung an alarm bell when he asked if I minded sending payment as friends and family (which of course removes your protection)  but I stupidly paid up and even wished the b*stard a merry Christmas! Here we are weeks later - no response to messages and the feeling I’ve been had. Google his name and end up here. Not sure what I can do to recover money - Facebook didn’t take the cash and PayPal will no doubt say “you should have paid him as a business seller.” 

S***! Exactly the same thing just happened to me! 

I paid £60 for a Canyon delay via PayPal and the he stopped communication, but the ad is still live. 

Goggle search took me here. Did you guys end up reporting collectively or something? 

I'll report to police, but agree that the more complaints the more seriously we may be taken. 

Many thanks

Paco

[telephone number removed]

[email address removed]

Edited by Kev
Hiding contact details

On 04/02/2022 at 13:53, pacocasasola said:

S***! Exactly the same thing just happened to me! 

I paid £60 for a Canyon delay via PayPal and the he stopped communication, but the ad is still live. 

Goggle search took me here. Did you guys end up reporting collectively or something? 

I'll report to police, but agree that the more complaints the more seriously we may be taken. 

Many thanks

Paco

[telephone number removed]

[email address removed]

PM me and I will update you...

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 16:56, Jon08 said:

I'm trying a different angle besides Action Fraud who i suspect are snowed under with all of this type of all too easy fraud.  

A friend of mine who is writing a book on online romance scammers interviewed a detective a while back who told her 'Action Fraud' is basically a third party call centre where civillian operators log details of complaints.

The information is passed on to the relevant police units but apparently they're all completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume and scope of online and mobile phone based scams operating at the moment.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2022 at 09:42, Rich said:

Tell them he holds outdated opinions on transgender rights.  He'll be in handcuffs before you can say "free speech be damned!"

Or before you can say "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences!" ;) 

2 hours ago, Cato said:

The information is passed on to the relevant police units but apparently they're all completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume and scope of online and mobile phone based scams operating at the moment.

That does not surprise me at all, sadly. Every day there's something new.

Very tricky to deal with things like this but as people are aware of this guy why not just take it in turns to buy everything he has for sale and arrange to pay on collection?

It will stop fake items being offered for sale and eventually he will need to open another account under a different name. Your not doing anything illegal or against the T&C’s of the site as your willing to pay real cash  for a real item. 

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Very tricky to deal with things like this but as people are aware of this guy why not just take it in turns to buy everything he has for sale and arrange to pay on collection?

It will stop fake items being offered for sale and eventually he will need to open another account under a different name. Your not doing anything illegal or against the T&C’s of the site as your willing to pay real cash  for a real item. 

Because it doesn’t work like that. You buy on his terms or the scam doesn’t work. 
He is hardly going to accept pay on collection, or any other real contact. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Because it doesn’t work like that. You buy on his terms or the scam doesn’t work. 
He is hardly going to accept pay on collection, or any other real contact. 

OK I’ve not used FB market place. So it’s not a buy now type function where the transaction is held whilst the deal is completed? Sounds like a breeding ground for scams if the same item can be sold multiple times with no process in place.

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

OK I’ve not used FB market place. So it’s not a buy now type function where the transaction is held whilst the deal is completed? Sounds like a breeding ground for scams if the same item can be sold multiple times with no process in place.

Sadly not, there’s a time limit but generally the OP closes the listing (usually after a reminder in my case.....)