Why become a member? ×

Scammer - Facebook Marketplace

fabbabass

I’ve always refused to accept PayPal for items I’m selling on Facebook. It’s cash on collection or bank transfer on collection only. I was almost scammed by someone on Facebook marketplace a few years ago, when I was selling an expensive pair of studio monitors. PayPal protects the buyer, it’s also open to misuse.

2 hours ago, ambient said:

I’ve always refused to accept PayPal for items I’m selling on Facebook. It’s cash on collection or bank transfer on collection only. I was almost scammed by someone on Facebook marketplace a few years ago, when I was selling an expensive pair of studio monitors. PayPal protects the buyer, it’s also open to misuse.

If it's sent as 'friends and family' or whatever they call that nowadays, I dont think the buyer can claw it back, can they? It's basically a gift rather than paying for a service. 

2 hours ago, Maude said:

If it's sent as 'friends and family' or whatever they call that nowadays, I dont think the buyer can claw it back, can they? It's basically a gift rather than paying for a service. 

Yep - friends & family is a gift; as a buyer I won’t use it. 

7 hours ago, Maude said:

Yes. I can pretty much kiss my money goodbye but only have myself to blame for being taken in. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bill R said:

Yes. I can pretty much kiss my money goodbye but only have myself to blame for being taken in. 

Well, if people get together and also get the authorities involved then there is a chance of getting it back.

It's also worth contacting your bank's fraud department and they may do a recovery; some folks had success with that in the previous scammer issue.

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2022 at 14:36, Spcollins said:

Is this legit? Is that actually Mike Smethurst? 
https://www.takethatthetribute.com/contact

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just looked at that video and it seems the bass player looks a lot like Mr Mason himself.

Is the band in the above link supposed to be Smethurst's band, or Mason's? 

Whichever it is this is taken from the band images from the above link, lurking behind one of 'Take That' playing bass. 

This is 100% Mick Mason. 

nlNEbqv.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Maude said:

Is the band in the above link supposed to be Smethurst's band, or Mason's? 

Whichever it is this is taken from the band images from the above link, lurking behind one of 'Take That' playing bass. 

This is 100% Mick Mason. 

nlNEbqv.jpeg

Yes, i meant the link posted in this thread has the same bass player as the video in the original MM  thread. 

On 14/01/2022 at 20:47, Bill R said:

Looks like I got scammed too. Tried to buy a Reel Echo pedals before Christmas. Seemed a bit of an obscure choice for a scammer so seemed legit. Chatted on messenger and all seemed fine. When I tried to pay through marketplace checkout it got cancelled five minutes later. He claimed not to know what was wrong and suggested PayPal. Should have rung an alarm bell when he asked if I minded sending payment as friends and family (which of course removes your protection)  but I stupidly paid up and even wished the b*stard a merry Christmas! Here we are weeks later - no response to messages and the feeling I’ve been had. Google his name and end up here. Not sure what I can do to recover money - Facebook didn’t take the cash and PayPal will no doubt say “you should have paid him as a business seller.” 

I also "purchased" the Reel Echo and a Boss Chorus, he was good with the chat but didn't want to know when I offered to do Paypal business plus extra to cover fee or direct into bank account . Yet he offered tracked postage for friends and family Paypal. That should have warned me ! Paypal don't want to know as it's Friends and Family but if the Police get involved they may have to. Bit wary of posting too much on open forum, but am taking PM's as if can gather a list of those scammed.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My lessons from the previous occurrence of an uncannily not dissimilar scam is do not pay by unsecured means (bank transfer, friends & family, etc.); if the seller doesn't like it then be prepared to walk away (it's happened to me).

Also, don't pay for something and you arrange collection - the item in the box could be faulty, damaged, or a box of bricks for all you know.

The bottom line is if there's anything you feel uneasy about then there may be good reason for that; in my case I have my suspicion-o-meter set to high sensitivity these days.

Regarding police and other recourse:

1. Try reporting to the police in the seller's location too.
  2. Report to Action Fraud - they can be slow to respond.
  3. Report the seller's items on ebay/Reverb/Gumtree/FB/etc.
  4. Coordinate with other people (eg. in the previous case, the scammer was giving people the same shipping reference as proof of the item being returned after failed delivery).

9 hours ago, Jon08 said:

I also "purchased" the Reel Echo and a Boss Chorus, he was good with the chat but didn't want to know when I offered to do Paypal business plus extra to cover fee or direct into bank account . Yet he offered tracked postage for friends and family Paypal. That should have warned me ! Paypal don't want to know as it's Friends and Family but if the Police get involved they may have to. Bit wary of posting too much on open forum, but am taking PM's as if can gather a list of those scammed.  

Thanks for replying. My call with Police Scotland yesterday was mostly just confirming details. I should be getting a follow up call from someone in next day or so. 

10 hours ago, Jon08 said:

Paypal don't want to know as it's Friends and Family but if the Police get involved they may have to. 

I hope nobody is pinning hopes on Paypal changing a policy that they clearly define in the T&C just because a bunch of well intentioned people were scammed on an online marketplace.  That's not to have a pop at anyone but Paypal make it simple; it's free to send money to friends and family (with no protection) OR you send money for purchases which has a charge (and there is insurance).  

Oddly enough I've sold stuff on here and on FB and I don't accept Paypal in any form from a newbie as it is open to abuse against me.  If someone dealing with me doesn't want to do their research on my honesty and history and pay by BACS that is absolutely fine and no hard feelings. 

• Like 4

I got caught out on Xmas! Cheeky feck said merry Xmas, I got conned out of £60 for a pedal, and he claimed that the post office was open and that he would be sending me my purchase. He blocked me yesterday 
I have screenshoted the evidence and I’m looking to help any way I can to bring this a*shole down 

• Like 2