Why become a member? ×

Scammer - Facebook Marketplace

fabbabass

A Mark Smethurst sells pedals on FB Marketplace, under this name and ‘Mark S Property’.  I know of five other people so far who have been scammed on FB and Gumtree.  He is out of the Nantwich/Middlewich area and asks for payment via Skrill to his [email protected] account. I have a mobile number for him from which he does pick up messages occasionally.  I reported the texts, emails and details through the Cheshire Police, link for fraud.

Someone of FB who was also taken in is coordinating contacts and I will gladly pass on details to any Basschat chums.

Thanks and all stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Maude said:

The 12 after the name in his email address is ringing big alarm bells, bells probably housed in a stone tower built by a Mason. 

Too much of a coincidence, my money is on this being Mick Mason's latest horcrux.

OP see here, a known scammer and convicted fraudster who also uses a 12 in his email addresses, both for himself and various pretend characters. Has been active recently ripping people off on Facebook:

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

I hope folks are reporting all the details to the Police. It does look similar, but like a dog licking’ his balls, they’re doing it ‘cos they can.

Luckily  i was only caught for a delay pedal, but some folks have had it much worse.  I will no longer use FB and only pick-up. Here on BC, there is a respect for each other that builds trust in the trading, but it comes to something when even eBay looks more secure!

10 minutes ago, prowla said:

I’ve decided not to pay for items by bank transfer or PayPal friends & family/gift anymore; it does mean that you might lose out on buying some things if the seller won’t accept that, but I’m prepared to walk away if needs be. 

I’d only do the above if they’re a known (to me) person with adequate feedback/reputation on basschat.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, prowla said:

I’ve decided not to pay for items by bank transfer or PayPal friends & family/gift anymore; it does mean that you might lose out on buying some things if the seller won’t accept that, but I’m prepared to walk away if needs be. 

A lot of selling groups I'm insist on PP Goods & Services for posted items, anybody insisting on bank transfer or PP F&F gets booted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prowla said:

If I really want it I'll offer to pay the extra fees to pay with protection, of they refuse to accept that then you know it's going to be a scam, same as being refused collection in person when an item is local. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’d only do the above if they’re a known (to me) person with adequate feedback/reputation on basschat.

This...

Happy to deal with BCers - I think most of us value our reputation more than the quick buck we might make...

• Like 8

14 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

If I really want it I'll offer to pay the extra fees to pay with protection, of they refuse to accept that then you know it's going to be a scam, same as being refused collection in person when an item is local. 

Out of interest how much are the fees? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Out of interest how much are the fees? 

About 3% I think, so if I paid for something like a £100 Sansamp pedal from a certain Mr Mason and he asked me to pay friends and family to avoid the fees I'd reply offering to pay an extra £5 to cover it, there's zero legitimate reasons I can think of as to why they'd refuse, if they did I'd cease communication with them, probably Google their name and find a thread on here about him! Lol

Edited by stingrayPete1977
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Maude said:

2.9% + £0.30p per transaction. Very little for some peace of mind 

35 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

About 3% I think, so if I paid for something like a £100 Sansamp pedal from a certain Mr Mason and he asked me to pay friends and family to avoid the fees I'd reply offering to pay an extra £5 to cover it, there's zero legitimate reasons I can think of as to why they'd refuse, if they did I'd cease communication with them, probably Google their name and find a thread on here about him! Lol

Some might consider it to be hassle or an indication you don't trust them; I've had that happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Some might consider it to be hassle or an indication you don't trust them; I've had that happen.

I understand that some might feel you don't trust them, but the fact is they're a stranger and you have no reason to trust them, or to not trust them. 

If trust, or lack of, is nothing to be wary of then ask them to send the item first, and once it's arrived safe and sound you'll send the payment. I'll wager trust will suddenly be an issue. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I think you'd find about ten million scammers that would refuse to sell to you to about one person that was upset that you were concerned and doing your due diligence, I can live with those odds.

56 minutes ago, Maude said:

I understand that some might feel you don't trust them, but the fact is they're a stranger and you have no reason to trust them, or to not trust them. 

If trust, or lack of, is nothing to be wary of then ask them to send the item first, and once it's arrived safe and sound you'll send the payment. I'll wager trust will suddenly be an issue. 

It happened to me here last week (no reason to doubt the seller, just I've decided that's the way forward for me).

• Like 1