Why become a member? ×

Best tool for the job..

uk_lefty

Looking for some advice here on the best tools or kit for... 

Widening a P bass route at the round bits by 1mm, sand paper or something more sophisticated? The bass is not to have a pick guard so needs to be neat. I once chiseled out bits of a J bass for new pickups, not doing that again! 

Drilling out a jack socket hole in the bass. Can't decide top mounted jack or side, either way, just an ordinary drill bit or one of those big flat things for drilling out a decent size hole? 

Sand papers, I need various grits for finishing. I'm going to stain the bass then coat it but want a matt finish. Where would I find the best place for these various grits of sand paper? 

Thanks in advance 

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

"Round bits"??

Drill bit?

Hahaha yes, it's the "special" drill bit that has a great big flat paddle a few mm down from the tip. This is how technical I am!! 

Don't ever ask me to help put up shelves, Mick. I'd help, I just wouldn't be very good! 

I'd use a forstner bit over a paddle bit. They're the ones that have a flat circle at the end :)

Unless the hole already exists, in which case a step drill as they are more self centering than either of the two mentioned above. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I'd use a forstner bit over a paddle bit. They're the ones that have a flat circle at the end :)

Unless the hole already exists, in which case a step drill as they are more self centering than either of the two mentioned above. 

+1 for forstner bits, if you've got a drill press then they are great for elongating holes slightly 👍🏻

• Like 1

Just as a guide to what some of the jargon means:

image.png.22d7d3453ce0a6771597776a2572c739.png

UK terminology is similar but this image was handiest to use at the time of writing.

One thing worth saying before someone shouts "Dremel!" is that you should not attempt to use a Dremel unless you are well experienced with how it can kick.  That way you should not end up with a notch in your curve (man).

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

I’ll always make a template and use a router for neck pockets but that’s just me!! Router template cutters are great but the quality of fit of necks into pockets or pickup cavities etc will only be as accurate as the template. 

Forster bits are great and leave a tidy edge if you are doing a side mounted socket.

For sand paper, I always buy the stuff from Halfords. I’ve just found it works for me a as I’d Halfords is close to home!!!

Cheers

I've been thinking about this.  (Brace yourselves)

You may find that it is impossible to keep ANY sort of drill bit true to its centre mark without you first bond a piece of similar wood in to restore the other side of the notional hole that you are about to enlarge*.

Of course, you have to remove it after but it would be worth considering if you go that route (Not an intentional pun.  Never mention it again please).

*Edit:  You'd need the inserted piece to fill the existing cut-out too of course.  This gives you a surface that is flush with the top and a fresh start for the new, larger, drilling.

Edited by SpondonBassed

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I've been thinking about this.  (Brace yourselves)

You may find that it is impossible to keep ANY sort of drill bit true to its center mark without you bond a piece of similar wood in to restore the other side of the theoretical hole that you are about to enlarge.

Not quite sure what you mean there sponz 🙂, if you needed an accurate hole I use these, otherwise if you pilot a hole smaller than you need and step up 1mm each time, the bit finds the hole and enlarges it 🙂

46444226-8BAA-4A52-B872-B2E2DF8C9317.jpeg

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Not quite sure what you mean there sponz 🙂, if you needed an accurate hole I use these, otherwise if you pilot a hole smaller than you need and step up 1mm each time, the bit finds the hole and enlarges it 🙂

46444226-8BAA-4A52-B872-B2E2DF8C9317.jpeg

You are speaking about drilling a socket hole.  In that case you are drilling.

I am talking about the first part of the job which was to enlarge the cut-outs for the PU's ears, if you will.

You can't enlarge a part of a hole with a drill bit and not have problems with wandering and chatter.  You need to replace the material that was removed where the body of the PU sits adjacent to the ear cut-outs then drill and enlarge a whole hole, if you get me, not part of one.

Hope this helps clarify my awkward wording.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1