Why become a member? ×

Bass Centre Guy Pratt Betsy or Bruce Thomas Profile Bass

Bobass

Hi All

Coming back to playing after 20 odd years and have narrowed the search for my new bass down to the bass centres Guy Pratt Betsy bass and the Bruch Thomas precision bass based on the glowing reviews on the internet etc.

It will only be used at home for jamming along to backing tracks etc, big Iron Maiden fan but also most other rock ie Led Zep AC DC etc

Appreciate any views as to which may be more suitable to buy

will be playing through Ashdown Studio 8 30 watt amp

Tough one to call purely because (for me at least) it’s a very different playing experience with a Precision to a Jazz. As above, on the face of it given the bands/styles of music you mention I’d say Precision. But that’s not much use if a Jazz style feels more comfortable to you...

Are you purchasing blind after not playing bass at all for that long? If so I’d seriously consider waiting until you’re able to at least give a P and J style bass (at least of some description) a quick run out in a shop to give you a better starting point. The differences between the styles (pickup type and placement, neck, body shape etc) make a big difference to me with P and J basses.

Thank you all for your replies

Lozz 196  I’m loving the deep tone of the p bass especially for the iron maiden music but the jazz seems more versatile 

Jezzaboy  It’s the red p bass for me, the j bass is a bit too blingy

mr4stringz  Entirely agree that the best option would be to try them out prior to purchase but due to Covid lockdown plus I am shielding at present then it will have to be an on line purchase. I’m loving the tone of the p bass over the j but the j seems more versatile in the tonal range plus with the smaller width neck may be more suitable for me to get back into playing.

Mike  Great video thank you, the range of tones are superb.

• Like 1

It looks as if the Guy Pratt bass is the favourite at present due to the slimmer neck hopefully being easier to play. 

This then leads me to my next choice. Due to my budget, ie my dear wife holding the purse strings, then if I went with the p bass then I could just about afford the Ashdown studio 8 amp, though with the 8 inch speaker would the p bass, with its powerful pickup be too much for the amp.

If I went for the j bass at £100 more then I would be looking at the zoom b1 4 pedal

As I’m just playing bass at home, then would the zoom pedal, with its range of effects, tuner plus rhythm section be more suitable with headphones that the Ashdown 30 watt amp.

Zooms are fine with amps - I used mine straight into the board (from a p bass)  and to PA and everyone commented on the sound. 
I also used it into an amp, a small one, with equally good results 

Edited by Geek99

16 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

What one do you like the look of best?

Yes I am that shallow :D

To the op. I wasnt trying to take the p*ss when I asked what looks the best to you. I haven`t owned a Bass Collection bass but from everything I have read and seen on line, these basses seem to punch well above their price range and as I like both a P and a J, for home practice I would pick which one I like the look of best.

Don`t they do a P/J bass? That would be ideal, punchy P pickup and that J bridge sound. 

Many thanks for all the replies. Have finally decided and ordered the Betsy bass. Had a good chat with Barry at the Bass Centre and he mentioned that the slimmer neck on the jazz may be a tad easier to play, more versatility in the sounds available plus you can achieve a similar sound to a p bass by using the jazz bass neck pick up. The only slight downside is that the tech who sets up all the basses only works every other Friday so it looks as if delivery will be at the start of Feb.

On a slightly different note, I have ordered the Ashdown studio 8 30 watt amp from Thomann. As it was under £135 then , re Brexit, the VAT was added at point of sale to the invoice hence total cost £113.60 delivered as against £129 Uk stock at PMT.

Again there may be a delay in delivery but as Betsy is not arriving until the start of Feb then no worries.

• Like 1