Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG250 combo-fan noise

the hand of john curley

Hi, I picked up one of these as a restoration project last summer and at that time it's cooling fan sounded like a bag of nails. It was just very well worn. The original fan was a Bi-Sonic SP802512L 12v 0.12A and it's bearing was knackered. I was lucky enough to have a spare from an old Ashdown amp (a Jamicon type from a MAG300) to replace mine with. I'm sure Ashdown amps could probably help you source a suitable replacement one if you think yours has a problem. May also be worth checking it's not clogged with dust before condemning the fan. A good clean fan can make a difference. I think historically early MAG250's may not have had cooling fans and were convection cooled only. The whole amp chassis is light alloy and part of the cooling mechanism. The fan is sort of an extra cooling unit as far as I can see. These amps warm up a fair bit when being used at gig/rehearsal volume. I've added a vid of mine as it is at present, hope this helps. There is still an audible whirr but I'd say its about the same as a MAG300 or EB180/220 type combo/amp.   

• Like 1

It's kinda normal for a fan cooled amp to need it's cooling path cleaned out. Anyone who does this task should wear a mask as you don't know what crud the amp has sucked in over the years. Masks should be easy to find at the present time - unfortunately!!  :(

Edited by BassmanPaul