Why become a member? ×

Vey cool Jazz at Bass Direct.

bubinga5

To add a bit of context... whilst I’m not saying that I think the neck is worth it, if you were to look to buy an early 1970s Jazz neck then it’d probably cost around £1000 on the conservative side - as I say, I’m not defending the cost, just giving some context on one of the component parts.

Add the cost of the body, finish, Aguilar p/ups and other hardware and it would probably cost what it’s listed for to put together - and yes, I’m aware that it’s entirely possible to put together a bass of similar/superior quality for less money!!

Also bear in mind that, given the type of bass it is, then it’s also entirely possible that it’s a commission sale where Bass Direct will be taking circa 20%. If it came up for sale on this excellent site for circa £1000-£1250 it wouldn’t be a great surprise (to me, anyroad!) if it were to sell.

As I say, I’m not trying to justify the price (as it’s worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it!) just trying to add some context regarding how much it would cost to put together the same bass, esp. with the cost of a vintage neck included.

And personally, if it were my choice, I wouldn’t be listing it as a Fender either... 

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kev said:

Have to say, I don't remember seeing a neck fitting so bad that there is a gap at the bottom, as well as the side.

Wow.

Yep, comments regarding the value of individual components mean little when those components have been so poorly put together. The whole in this case is less than the sum of the parts, although at used prices they were already stretching it. Seems someone’s trying to get a good return on a decent neck by bolting it to a few other bits and proclaiming it a US instrument. I find Bass Direct are generally OK on these things, this one must have slipped through I guess 

...and if it’s a custom body, which I’d read as having been made for the neck or it’s simply ‘an aftermarket body’, the exposed pocket in the treble side doesn’t suggest much effort went into it. As said above, a bitsa, and whilst it might sound amazing and play well, the poor fit of the neck would bug the hell out of me 

26 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Yep, comments regarding the value of individual components mean little when those components have been so poorly put together. The whole in this case is less than the sum of the parts, although at used prices they were already stretching it. Seems someone’s trying to get a good return on a decent neck by bolting it to a few other bits and proclaiming it a US instrument. I find Bass Direct are generally OK on these things, this one must have slipped through I guess 

Nothing on bass direct. They ask the owner what they want for it and put their commission on top. If it sells it sells, if not nothing lost.

image.thumb.png.d11f55bf367dc9970d2b102548275f42.png

https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/bass-bodies/jb-body?sort_by=

https://screlics.co.uk/price-list/

So body is 315/375 - so a spray job around 150ish quid. Gosh, thats pretty cheap for a finish. I wonder if this guy would be doing a refin or two for me...

To be fair, his paisleys seem quite cool.

Edited by EBS_freak

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

At a guess (and it is a guess as I have no knowledge of the bass other than from Bubinga’s post) I reckon Mark will be aware of how it’s listed rather than it slipping through the net.

I’m a fan of Mark and Bass Direct but I’m surprised it’s listed the way it is - I personally think they’d have been wiser listing it as a parts bass, with specific reference to the vintage neck and then other quality component parts. 

But, hey-ho, it’s not my business and I’m sure they can see the logic in what they’re doing!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Beedster said:

My point was to do with them describing it as a US Fender 

It’s also a pretty bad attitude to have to just bung it on a website with a poor description and make no effort to improve its condition to improve the chances of the sale. 

You’d have thought they’d offer some expertise and say “maybe if you did X, Y and Z you’d have a better chance of it moving” (ie getting a nicer fit on the neck etc)

• Like 1