Why become a member? ×

Best stand alone 1x15 cab?

eddie_duff

Well, I used to have a Peavey 15 combo (yep, with the BW), and it was good...but not that good. I also used to love my MkVIII head, too, and a year or two back went into an unfamiliar rehearsal room that had one. I went all nostalgic, and waxed a bit lyrical, then plugged into it and went 'Oh.'

Our drummer dropped my Compact down some stage steps (while carrying his hi hat...he didn't drop that, I noticed... 😒), it was fine, it kinda tumbled a bit. The old Peavey Combo would've taken out a good chunk of the stage...

46 minutes ago, steantval said:

I had one of these HF 15 when I was gigging the larger venues, seriously great bottom end.

842ACAC4-1A8A-456E-AFC4-6CB6BCA435DF.jpeg

Tried one of them in a rehearsal room as part of a MB rig which also had the 410 on top. I had the opportunity to try both cabs separately and i was fair impressed by it.

Dave

17 hours ago, Muzz said:

a year or two back went into an unfamiliar rehearsal room that had one. I went all nostalgic, and waxed a bit lyrical, then plugged into it and went 'Oh.'

The fact its in a rehearsal room probably means it's hardly in the optimum state as it's likely to have 7 shades or stinky poo ragged out of it.

The fact that it is in a rehearsal room... and working should probably cement its status more than anything else.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2

Ohhhh, if I was taking an amp in the back of a Hilux down the Road Of Bones, there'd be only one maker to consider, but sheer ruggedness has never been a huge criteria of mine, I tend to look after stuff. Handy when I was a daft kid, mind...

I wasn't aware amps got blander sounding the more you used them, tho...this one was working fine (and I used it into a couple of different cabs), it was just that I realised how rose-tinted my glasses were...

16 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

But have we done the 20000ft Drop Test yeah?

You can drop one from any height - they're so light they just float gently to the ground like a feather 😏.

Just don't try and pick it up by the handle.

(BTW full disclosure: Yes, I do own one.....)

I was of that opinion too and it's why I went for a 212 cab but having heard the mesa subway 15 v the 12 I found the 15 had more clarity across the range and it has surprised me. Could well be the cab design but both cabs are same design just different sizes. I'm still unsure whether I would go for a 15 or 12 cab if I change.

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

These days the best 115 could easily be a 112.

Seems like old stereo types are hard to kill off.

That's Barefaced's argument, and why they haven't made a 15 incher for a while.  I use 7 inch drivers with a low 5 string.  Just saying, like...

In all honesty, if you offered me a choice between two cabs, one of which sounded a bit better than the other, but my amp was to wide for it, and produced The Dreaded Overhang...I'd go with the other cab.

Yup, I'm that shallow... 😕😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Muzz said:

In all honesty, if you offered me a choice between two cabs, one of which sounded a bit better than the other, but my amp was to wide for it, and produced The Dreaded Overhang...I'd go with the other cab.

Yup, I'm that shallow... 😕😁

its a valid point. A rig has got to have a certain amount of uniformness about it.

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Yup, I'm that shallow

Not really shallow at all. Overhanging amps would, I'm sure, have been made Illegal by now if this whole EU/Covid crisis hadn't caused the government to take their eye off the ball. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Not really shallow at all. Overhanging amps would, I'm sure, have been made Illegal by now if this whole EU/Covid crisis hadn't caused the government to take their eye off the ball. 

When I see a 'beer belly rig' I shudder.  Then I think, 'no this guy/ess is a pro, function over form'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Surely a 115 puts out more low end than a 112 , in my sound system days it was always 115s or 118s I never saw anything smaller, or have things changed 🙂

Back then this might have been true, but not for a long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

To illustrate the point - pic of my first bass rig put together after a couple of bass-less decades raising kids, moving between jobs etc.   Fender Bassman 135 with no-name 1x15 PA cab.    More overhang than a Bingo Granny's muffin-top....... ;)

Magnum 2.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, chris_b said:

These days the best 115 could easily be a 112.

Seems like old stereo types are hard to kill off.

Interestingly I've been on the fence for a while to actually go out and try something for backline that would work for Stick and Bass. I am one of those Stickists that are more interested in "Thonk" than "riddly-riddly-ree" and so...I have as yet to try out a combo (Peavey/Rumble/Ampeg/2x10/15/12etc. U get the picture) but I have a Greenboy/fEarless builder not so far away in Bucks Co. PA - I'm in central Jersey - an hour away which is not much...So I pre-amp w/ a PODX3 which could work w/ a poweramp  & a 1x12 w/ an Emminence cost about $1300US and is less heavy n bulky than a 15" and supposedly BLOWS AWAY everything in its fighting weight...But I might just fall for a Peavey fr $500 Bucko's. I really think you gotta pay for the Great Speaker and you gotta pay for the Cabinet That Will Make It Sound Great Without Shaking Apart.