Why become a member? ×

Best stand alone 1x15 cab?

eddie_duff

I made up a 1x15 cab before by sticking a 4-ohm Eminence Delta 500 watt speaker in an empty GK Backline series cab I had.

It was a really good speaker and handled everything my 300w head threw at it. Sounded so good I built another one the same. 

Worked out about £300 each at the time and worked very nicely for the small to medium pub gigs I was doing, plus the GK backline cabs had decent castor wheels on them. 

My choice would be the BF Compact. Had mine probably 10 years now, done countless gigs and changed my life by being so easy to move around. Still sounds fine to my ears too.

Honourable mention also goes to the Peavey BW. Had a few of these over the years, and always loved them, (along with another underrated Peavey cab the 410TVX). At the time one of the few 4 ohm fifteen inch cabs available, my first one IIRC only had a top mounted badly positioned strap/handle and used to bang my legs constantly when shifting it around. I think the later ones had the side handles but still were an awkward lift, especially given the weight. Ran mine with a Peavey Mk4 210 watt head which was a great pairing, wish I still had it.

• Like 2

Humble shout for the Markbass NY 151. light, small footprint and always really liked this cab for a bit of reggae. Great lows but well defined unlike some. Worked well for a bit of Motown warmth too, especially with an Orange Terror head on top. I miss that combination. 

• Like 2

Another 1980’s Peavey BW115 user here. I never understood why they just put one handle on it!! I also had the 215, the overkill version! That was a nightmare to move and didn’t last long. The best 115  was a Dynacord combo, but for cabs the Mesa RR 115 EV couldn’t be beaten. Loud as flip with the best tone. Damaged my back lifting it but what a great sound. 

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Another 1980’s Peavey BW115 user here. I never understood why they just put one handle on it!! I also had the 215, the overkill version! That was a nightmare to move and didn’t last long. The best 115  was a Dynacord combo, but for cabs the Mesa RR 115 EV couldn’t be beaten. Loud as flip with the best tone. Damaged my back lifting it but what a great sound. 

I think everyone on here belongs to the Peavey BW115 ex-owners club!   Mine fell out of a moving van and still worked fine. 

Mesa RR 115 EV is still my go-to cab, along with matching RR 210 EV.    Heavy yes, but pretty compact even by modern standards.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Raslee said:

Humble shout for the Markbass NY 151. light, small footprint and always really liked this cab for a bit of reggae. Great lows but well defined unlike some. Worked well for a bit of Motown warmth too, especially with an Orange Terror head on top. I miss that combination. 

Yes! I had the same combination and it was so good. 

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yes! I had the same combination and it was so good. 

You are wasting your time now, Stew. A good try though.

The Peavey BW115 cab club are crawling all over the thread like an out of control, drug crazed Bebop solo....Never ending.

:D

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a Peavey BW 115 cab.  It fell out of a plane, fell 20,000 ft onto a Mayan temple, tumbled head over heels several times down the steep steps, was run over by a tank, gored by a raging bull rhinoceros, fell off a cliff, landed on rocks at the bottom, fell into the sea AND it was delivered by Hermes.  I just mopped it down, plugged in, and it was fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I had a Peavey BW 115 cab.  It fell out of a plane, fell 20,000 ft onto a Mayan temple, tumbled head over heels several times down the steep steps, was run over by a tank, gored by a raging bull rhinoceros, fell off a cliff, landed on rocks at the bottom, fell into the sea AND it was delivered by Hermes.  I just mopped it down, plugged in, and it was fine.

Post of the year to date, and probably true (apart from the Hermes bit of course, we all know that was a step too far)

I had a Mesa 15 that we dropped during a load in, it broke my car but the cab was no worse off for it. Ah the good old days, when cabs were cabs :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Paul S said:

And if you tell that to the young people today, they won't believe you! 

I was going to mention, but everyone beat me to it, that until all this Covid lark, we got a new drummer. He has a rehearsal space with an old Peavey combo with BW15 which I used, and instantly thought cor that sounds good. 

I used to have a Peavey combo with BW15 which I used for years. Maybe a lot of us like the black widow as it's like coming home, seeing as it seems a great deal of used one before we all went and bought 'better' amps. 

I used to take the front seat of my Mini out and sit the Peavey on the floor, with loads of other gear on the back seat, my bass would sit on top of the amp in a hard case with the back end resting on the rear shelf. I came round a corner in the lanes, met another car and had to brake pretty sharpish. As I skidded towards the other car, the hardcase shot forwards and pushed the screen out, slid down the bonnet and onto the road. I got out and put the screen and bass in the back of the mini, reversed into a space to let the bewildered driver through and carried on to the gig sans screen. 

Ahh to be a young d!ckhead again. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

I had a 115BW and a 215 I still have the 115 driver. Hmmmn maybe a lockdown project. Peavey BXBW in a lightweight cab...

A single driver eh? Did this really come out of a Peavey cab... or a Fender cab? 🧐

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

You are wasting your time now, Stew. A good try though.

The Peavey BW115 cab club are crawling all over the thread like an out of control, drug crazed Bebop solo....Never ending.

:D

Ha! I skimmed over all that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul S said:

Brilliant, Paul! 😂

Back in 2012, our keyboard player selfishly fell in love with a beautiful Australian girl and buggered off to live in that shanty town called Sydney on the other side of the world.. 

The upshot of which was that I decided I needed to change my rig to 'fill out the sound' in the band a bit more now we were down to just guitar/bass/drums. 

So, I picked up 2 empty Peavey 115 cabs and with the very kind help of @Chimike, fitted the cabs with 2 pristine Altec Lansing 15" drivers which, to my ears at least, sounded great with my Hughes & Kettner Bassbase 600 amp. 

At the first gig with the new rig at a pub very near to me, a load of mates and work colleagues came along to cheer us on which was great... 

After about half an hour things seemed to be going brilliantly and I was feeling very chuffed with the bass sound..

Then out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that our Office Manager's husband made a swift exit for the door, leaving behind an unfinished pint on his table which was a bit strange as I knew he liked live music a lot and his beer. 

So after the first set had finished, all very concerned like,  I went up to her to ask what had happened and to enquire if her husband was ill or something..

Turning round, she looked at me dead straight in the eye and said he had to leave because the bass had made his false teeth fall out! 😬😁

Best gear compliment I've ever had! 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

6 hours ago, Beedster said:

Post of the year to date, and probably true (apart from the Hermes bit of course, we all know that was a step too far)

Yes the “was delivered by Hermes” bit is just unbelievable - they lose everything. If he’d said “was despatched in error by Hermes to Reigate, in Mozambique... and claimed it to have been left in his porch” I would have found it significantly more plausible 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Brilliant, Paul! 😂

Back in 2012, our keyboard player selfishly fell in love with a beautiful Australian girl and buggered off to live in that shanty town called Sydney on the other side of the world.. 

The upshot of which was that I decided I needed to change my rig to 'fill out the sound' in the band a bit more now we were down to just guitar/bass/drums. 

So, I picked up 2 empty Peavey 115 cabs and with the very kind help of @Chimike, fitted the cabs with 2 pristine Altec Lansing 15" drivers which, to my ears at least, sounded great with my Hughes & Kettner Bassbase 600 amp. 

At the first gig with the new rig at a pub very near to me, a load of mates and work colleagues came along to cheer us on which was great... 

After about half an hour things seemed to be going brilliantly and I was feeling very chuffed with the bass sound..

Then out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that our Office Manager's husband made a swift exit for the door, leaving behind an unfinished pint on his table which was a bit strange as I knew he liked live music a lot and his beer. 

So after the first set had finished, all very concerned like,  I went up to her to ask what had happened and to enquire if her husband was ill or something..

Turning round, she looked at me dead straight in the eye and said he had to leave because the bass had made his false teeth fall out! 😬😁

Best gear compliment I've ever had! 😂

This thread is probably but going where the OP hoped but man it’s making me smile:)

Edited by Beedster

35 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Yes the “was delivered by Hermes” bit is just unbelievable - they lose everything. If he’d said “was despatched in error by Hermes to Reigate, in Mozambique... and claimed it to have been left in his porch” I would have found it significantly more plausible 

And another :)

11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

This thread is probably but going where the OP hoped but man it’s making me smile:)

Yep, me too Chris! 

Apologies to the OP but @Paul S 's post and your link to the 4 Yorkshire Men Python sketch (one of my all time favourites) have had me in absolute stitches.. 😂😂

• Like 2

lurking at the back of my garage, will still be working with the coming of the rapture (probably) and yes, I too have sadly put a black widow in it...(and some castors!)..sorry, slightly derailed this thread, it's not the best 1 x 15. That's probably a barefaced or mesa but I don't have experience of either.

115.JPG

Edited by skidder652003