Why become a member? ×

Best stand alone 1x15 cab?

eddie_duff

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Have to say I found the Compact to be a bit too 'hi-fi'. Obviously Subway 15's all the way for me (but I am biased).

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Mesa’s are lovely; either the Powerhouse or (my choice) the older EV-loaded Diesels.   Not light though.

Yep, love Mesa 15s. Sign of the time however that as soon as ‘best’ is mentioned in terms of amplification the word ‘weight’ soon follows. Most of the lightweight gear I’ve owned has lacked something tonally to my ear and has also been quite fragile by comparison, which means I get more anxious about damage at rehearsal/gigs (I’ve never damaged a Boogie cab despite trying quite hard). And it might just be me, but I’ve not always found light gear a whole lot easier to move around; Mesa Powerhouse 15s certainly weigh a ton, but on wheels are really no great challenge. OK, 1516EV in a road ready flight case is a different issue :)

Talking of 1516s Greg..............?

• Haha 1

The best 115 cab I’ve had was a Peavey that had a Black Widow speaker. Just that cab and my Trace Elliot AH300 was plenty enough to fill a venue with bass, the kind you felt as well as heard.

At the time living on a second floor flat with a 90lb cab and no lifts in my 30s it was manageable, wouldn’t be anywhere near capable of that now.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The best 115 cab I’ve had was a Peavey that had a Black Widow speaker. Just that cab and my Trace Elliot AH300 was plenty enough to fill a venue with bass, the kind you felt as well as heard.

At the time living on a second floor flat with a 90lb cab and no lifts in my 30s it was manageable, wouldn’t be anywhere near capable of that now.

I played hundreds of gigs with one of those through the 90s but I used a Peavey Mark VI. It didn't seem heavy at the time - it wasn't compared to the 139lb Hisys 4 cabs 😱

17 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Funnily enough I was going to mention my old BW loaded Peavey as well, and like your TE, paired with an SVT the tone was huge and visceral 

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Funnily enough I was going to mention my old BW loaded Peavey as well, and like your TE, paired with an SVT the tone was huge and visceral 

Another ex Peavey 115BW user here. They were absolutely stonking - especially for the money.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Yet another ex Peavey (very tatty) 115BW user here. I have had a few 1x15's over the years. The Peavey was defiantly up there and could really pump it out.

Of course, I sold it for an expensive Gas. *Boutique must be better' upgrade type of cabinet..

:facepalm:

A story that resonates widely on this form :) 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I too had a Peavey BW 15 in an old Fender 1x15 cab. Great speaker until some little scrote pinched it.

I know people nick alloys - but I'd be pretty whizzed coming back to a cab with the speaker nicked from it.

• Haha 2