Why become a member? ×

Does anyone own one of these - Boss EQ-200? Interested in your opinion

Teebs

I've ordered a Boss EQ-200 eq pedal - I have read good things about them, and plan to use it at my open mic night (Covid permitting) to help cut through the 'mush' of different instruments & poor acoustics.

Does anyone own one  or have any experience of one, & what do you think?

Edited by Teebs

11 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I don't have one, but they look smashing!

It's a while since I read up on them so I don't remember if the Q of the bands is adjustable, but they are nicely placed for bass.

There is usually good cause for a cut with the 30hz in most rooms; if you really want to sit under everything with a huge low end (which will still be problematic in most rooms) then a little boost at 60hz will make body parts ripple, or more reasonably, 120hz will be very bassy but tighter, and more in the realms of traditional bass sounds. If any of that mush you mention is coming from the bass, then 200hz is a good spot for a little cut to clear things up (250 is my rule of thumb, but I doubt I'd truly be able to hear the difference!). Speaking of rules of thumb (but in brackets- does that mean I can refer back to it in the main text? Seems kind of 'meta') when it comes to cutting through, 800hz is my starting point for poking out of the mix without clashing too much with vocals or guitars.

Usually with EQ, a little goes a long way, and too much is much less than you think, so go easy, and enjoy finding those spots in between everything else!

Apart from that, they're pretty crap though...

Thanks, and :D

Your frequency tips are ace! Much appreciated :)

Obviously I'll have to tune to the room a bit, and you're right about a bit going a long way - I used to have a Boss EQ pedal (the grey/beige one - BEQ-7?) years ago - could be quite dramatic!

Thanks again Mr Lukin 👍

Edited by Teebs

34 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I've ordered a Boss EQ-200 eq pedal - I have read good things about them,

Really? I’ve read nothing but bad things about them*. That’s why I sold mine. That and it was crap and made everything sound mushy, especially at open mic nights.

*they voted for Brexit and trump. They’re COVID deniers, anti-maskers and they’re scousers.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Really? I’ve read nothing but bad things about them*. That’s why I sold mine. That and it was crap and made everything sound mushy, especially at open mic nights.

*they voted for Brexit and trump. They’re COVID deniers, anti-maskers and they’re scousers.

Oh great!

Et tu, twerp!

>:(

Effin' jaffa cake haddict.

:(

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

Oh great!

Et tu, twerp!

>:(

Effin' jaffa cake haddict.

:(

Mmmm, Jaffa cakes....

*wanders through to kitchen, returns chewing with chocolate stains around mouth*

Truth time. I don’t really have a behringer pedal. I do want one though. I want a Hell Babe but they can’t be had at the moment until the next bot arrives from China. 

• Confused 1

I got one last year, but sold it recently. It was the only stereo graphic I could find that wasn't silly money (ie, SA EQ-2). 

I really didn’t use it much. I got it as i wanted to run in stereo from my keyboard, but ended up using the onboard EQ.

Cant really add much, other than it was nice but not as good as my old Q/strip, unfortunately that’s mono so wasn’t going to work. I didnt find it did much for me. It packs a lot of features in, but most were useless to me. 10 bands seem a bit limited as well.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mr DB - I'll give it a try & report back.

I understand that it has features that I'll probably never use, but then again  I have an active bass that I've never used active!

It might be overkill for my use, but overkill related to my fellow musicians at open mic is something that constantly comes to mind! :D

I tried to you use one at open mic, but they took away the mic before I could.

I then told them "my mate Dave had a fancy boss EQ pedal" but they came back with some cr*ap about my "needing to be able to play or sing"...or something.

"What about equal opportunities?" I cried.

Not for bass players they retorted.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Thanks Mr DB - I'll give it a try & report back.

I understand that it has features that I'll probably never use, but then again  I have an active bass that I've never used active!

It might be overkill for my use, but overkill related to my fellow musicians at open mic is something that constantly comes to mind! :D

No problem.

One cool thing is the separate channels. Me and my son both plugged in to mine (so guitar and me on bass) and then fed  two wired speakers, one each.  We effectively had two systems running and had separate EQ for each.

So i guess you are getting two for the price of one.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I tried to you use one at open mic, but they took away the mic before I could.

I then told them "my mate Dave had a fancy boss EQ pedal" but they came back with some cr*ap about my "needing to be able to play or sing"...or something.

"What about equal opportunities?" I cried.

Not for bass players they retorted.

Shoul have mentored i was a keyboard player, so a step above the rest 😮 😂

• Haha 1

At my open mic night, we have certain songs we always tend to play to encourage people to get up & play. These songs are pretty diverse - from stuff like John Holt 'Help Me Make It Through The Night' to Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' to Dubliners' 'Black Velvet Band' to 'Zombie' by the Cranberries.

I quite like the idea of having an eq setting for each song on a footswitch, and being able to knock it off for a request that I don't know.

Maybe one day I'll get to try it live... Finx.gif.38e5a959284efcdb0f75de29e61f08b8.gif

Edited by Teebs
Speleen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

I quite like the idea of having an eq setting for each song on a footswitch, and being able to knock it off for a request that I don't know.

Maybe one day I'll get to try it live... Finx.gif.38e5a959284efcdb0f75de29e61f08b8.gif

Its perfect for that. I almost wished i was still playing bass when i got mine. The stereo is wasted on bass though. Be great if they made a mono one for less money. 

I never got to gig mine, but did rehearse with it a couple of times. 

35 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I want a Hell Babe but they can’t be had at the moment until the next bot arrives from China. 

I understand that a Mr Mick Mason of Leicestershire might have one.

Try FB Marketplace.

:D 

• Thanks 1

One minor thing to  be aware of. You can change the preset freq’s that the pedal uses. 3 sets of preset freqs, which are more just small shifts in the centre freq’s, but of course the printed labels on the box dont change. Although most are close enough to not matter, if you are after a certain freq it can get confusing remembering what you have set. 

Its a lot cheaper than the SA EQ-2, but i couldn’t help feel it seemed unfinished compared to the SA. Just minor things though, mostly ergonomics. 

• Like 1

Looks like a really nice bit of kit Teebs, I’ve had a few EQ’s , the older versions , and they  worked very well , your one has some great settings, might take a while to work them out but once they are set I can see this being really good 🙂

• Thanks 1