Why become a member? ×

Andertons have a Barefaced video review.

dave_bass5

21 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

“Apparently, it's even more responsive, more accurate than a flat response normal cab. It's extra accurate, precise something or others."

Umm....

"it will self adjust to what ever power you are putting through it"

Huh?

I chuckled at that. Almost like they don't quite understand what they're talking about ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Merton said:

I chuckled at that. Almost like they don't quite understand what they're talking about ;)

Yeah, probably not the best when you are a reviewer!

Some nice playing on display - however, to my ears, there was a heavy bias on the DI feed when they did the blended mix.

Im not even sure the room mic was having any significant input on the blend mixes, even the ones without the DI. It was all coming from the close mic? (so for at least two of the cabs, the enclosure that the speaker is in doesn't really matter - as they are close micing the same speaker).

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

No matter what's being played through youtube clips always sound like the teeny tiny speakers in my laptop.

It does say at start, listen with headphones - but as you say, reviewing speakers in this manner of YouTube doesn’t really give much away. Theres too many attributes that can influence the sound in play here - eg the mic, it’s placement (close placement is giving the sound of the speaker and not the cab) it’s mix (with other mics (so introducing the influence of the room sound) and DI) post processing and compression on YouTube... (And as you say Bill, your own setup at your end will influence the sound you are hearing). But you know all this.

The only thing I really took away from this review is that the 10 may not fart out when pushed in the lows. But I don’t really know what was happening in terms of boost on the bass and amp or how hard it was being driven... so... I’m not even sure I can take that away.

Edited by EBS_freak

I can add the One10 will handle more watts than it says as long as the sound stays clean, if you use a crossover type distortion it’ll roll it off and you may need to change the EQ slightly depending on where you normally have it if you are used to the flatter Supertwin which will absolutely pump out with clarity what you throw at it.

There you go - review complete!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I always get the impression that these guys do very little homework and try to get by by being "geezers"! 

If I had either one as a next door neighbour, I'd have to move.

Pretty much. There's nothing in that review that would convince me they have a good understanding of the product that they are reviewing. It makes noise! Wahey, lets jam!

OK, they were (over) enthusiastic about the products - but couldn't actually tell us why. And whoever filmed the cabs close up, crushed all the blacks so you couldn't actually see any detail of the cabs. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I always get the impression that these guys do very little homework and try to get by by being "geezers"! 

If I had either one as a next door neighbour, I'd have to move.

Andertons reviews are always unlistenable for me, they always remind me of failed children's TV show presenters. Still better than Gear4Music who just get one of their guitarists to plonk away on a bass for 5 minutes while recording it on their smartphone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The only Andertons YT vid I found vaguely interesting was when they were doing the blind shootout Kemper vs the real amp thing. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't buy anything off the back of their videos. What you have to remember is, they are just making videos to try to get up the search engine rankings (and maybe monetise their content) and shift whatever product to make money. Would they really pull apart any product they sell...? Of course not - because it's not in their interests to do so as it could impact a sale.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I can add the One10 will handle more watts than it says as long as the sound stays clean, if you use a crossover type distortion it’ll roll it off and you may need to change the EQ slightly depending on where you normally have it if you are used to the flatter Supertwin which will absolutely pump out with clarity what you throw at it.

There you go - review complete!

I have the super twin,awesome.I had a 10 with a midget,that did not work,the 10 did not keep up,bought a super midget and that works great with the midget.So for a  small gig I take the sm and if I decide I need more I can grab the midget out of the car

17 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Pretty much. There's nothing in that review that would convince me they have a good understanding of the product that they are reviewing. It makes noise! Wahey, lets jam!

OK, they were (over) enthusiastic about the products - but couldn't actually tell us why. And whoever filmed the cabs close up, crushed all the blacks so you couldn't actually see any detail of the cabs. 

I have not heard the term crushed blacks since I retired and no it is not a racist term. Camera or camera son?

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

I find their videos quite entertaining. The style is very 'of it's time' and not really my thing but they certainly wouldn't be where they are as a shop without their social media presence. Mrs. Jack is the social media coordinator for a very large museum and I find it a fascinating world, just not for me!

Factually they always leave a lot to be desired, doing homework on the products before hand would be nice but then I think the counterpoint to that is that most people probably don't care, wouldn't understand, and that specs are easy enough to find if you really want. Apart from Barefaced. And when you DO find manufacturer's specs they're often lies anyway. 

Whatever, it's nice to see Lee back. All about the bass wasn't the same without him.