Why become a member? ×

Experimental Prototype bass... I hope

mhoss32

Really interesting, thanks for that. Your inventiveness has been incredible to watch. 

I am really interested in buying one of these to test out. I love the tweakability and the pick attack, although I would lower the frequency range to the Wal type range myself.

80Hz catches that first harmonic of E and I like the ability to use one pickup for ‘bass’ and the other for mids emphasis, adding in the pick attack to taste. Equally doing both pickups as ‘bass boost’ and activating pick attack allows for the modern scooped sound as you say. 

Can I ask. There is something about the Lusithand that adds a little grit to the tone; the ACG EQ-01 design lacks this though is marvellously flexible. I assume the Lusithand must add a minor amount of harmonic distortion which is pleasing to the ear. The Wal does this also. 

Does your own system tend to the ‘cleaner’ side, or do you think it adds something more like the Lusithand and Wal preamps do?

Edited by funkle
  • Like 1

No problem, always happy to know people enjoy this stuff as much as i do!

I will PM you regarding sending you one over, i will have to check i have the right OP-amps in my parts at the moment but if not they can be easily sourced.

The ACG is extremely clean sounding, i know exactly what you mean. im not entirely sure of the reason for that, partly i suspect it may well be down to the complexity of the signal path but im not sure. having not tried the lusithand preamp im not sure how they would compare, in mike's brilliant video on the last page you can hear a good range of the sounds. it can certainly get very gritty towards the middle of the sweep with the resonance turned up.

It's worth mentioning that in the latest version of the preamp, the volume board can be configured as a normal volume, or as a "les paul style" volume, where the control layout would be Vol / Vol / Tone / Tone, in my first experiment i did it this way and had each of the volume controls handling a diffferent "pick attack" - the neck pickup with a treble boost (like the wal) and the bridge pickup with a mid boost about 1.4KHZ - food for thought.

• Thanks 1