Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR1200 - Top End Light

Davy

So I've been using Ibanez basses as my main gigging basses for the last 10 years with the odd precision in between.

I love the the neck width, the body shape, and the modern tone(both pickups on) but the only issue I have is that I find that the top end seems a little bit thin, particularly compared to a Fender Precision which always cuts through on the top end really well.

I'm currently using Elixir roundwound 105 - 45 gauge strings and I was wondering what a set of flats might sound like on the Ibanez and wondered if this would help to thicken up the top end.

Has anyone else had similar issues with their Ibanez and what did you try to solve it?

Great basses! Had a SR1800 previously and SR1825 now. Essentially the same spec as the 1200 (other than woods).

Both pups on => a mild mid scooping effect. Recommend giving the mids a little boost (and I think you have a mid freq selector switch on the 1200 also for further refinement?) to counter this mid-scooping; and you should hopefully find you're cutting through just fine.

I used to be a "both pups on" guy too, but I'm finding I'm preferring the warmth of the neck pup or grit of the bridge pup, solo'd, more these days! 

• Like 1

Is it a case of it’s too thin or brittle on the top? Does it only occur with both pick ups on it is it a general feeling with the neck or bridge solo’d too?

As @Al Krow says the scoop could be pulling out mids and/or high mids but it might not be the single factor.

Does the bass have a passive tone control as sometimes simply rolling back can help or the capacitor can have a solid impact to thicken things up without any major tweaks.

Flatwound string can be more mid range focused so that may help. There is a school of thought that generally being a thinner bass body/neck/headstock can all have an impact on the ‘heft’. The p bass is likely just inherently putting out more ‘information’ in the frequency which you’re hearing as cutting through and let’s face it they’re famous for filling out that sweet spot in and about the midrange.

I’ve found looking at my p basses on a graphic eq they have a lot going on in around 400Hz and up about 2-4kHz too. This isn’t set in stone of course but if you can run the Ibanez into a DAW and see it on a graphic EQ, compare it to your p bass - you could try and see where the gaps are and see if you can do anything with EQ to help. This can be fun to do in general (well it was for me)!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

Just looking at the spec of the SR1200 and it seems that the mid select switch is at 250Hz or 600Hz:

They have changed that to 250Hz, 450Hz and 700Hz on the more recent SR premiums, and I was going to suggest combining mine and @krispn's comments by suggesting selecting the the 450Hz position and giving it a boost there, but that doesn't seem to be an option on yours. So perhaps an EQ pedal might get you there, and / or solo the neck pup to avoid some of the mid scooping? The neck pup will certainly be closer to the P-bass tone than the bridge pup, if that is the tone you're going for.

@krispn the bass does have a purely passive setting as well as it's pretty effective 3 band EQ. As you probably already know, I tend to use my Ibby in active mode rather than passive. The treble doubles up as a passive tone control in passive mode.

Edited by Al Krow

I'd say it's too thin on the top.

I think the problem might be that I want the best of both worlds, i.e. a nice modern sounding mid scoop on the E, A and D strings but the precision type mid boost on the G string to cut through better. 

I just had this theory that the precision cuts through better on the G string as it has a more solid and thicker neck than the ibanez.

Well if it's mainly a G string issue the other thing to try is adjusting the pup heights a touch so its lowest at the E and highest at the G?

You could also, of course, try a thicker G string: Elites Peter Hook Custom Set (basscentre.com) Not used myself but a few of the Yamaha BB players have.

And dammit, it might even be worth exploring a compressor to give you a more even volume across your strings 😁

Edited by Al Krow

15 hours ago, Davy said:

I'd say it's too thin on the top.

I think the problem might be that I want the best of both worlds, i.e. a nice modern sounding mid scoop on the E, A and D strings but the precision type mid boost on the G string to cut through better. 

I just had this theory that the precision cuts through better on the G string as it has a more solid and thicker neck than the ibanez.

It could just be that the bass is lacking presence in that region. A pick up raise might help but you’re potentially looking at some eq trickery to put it where you want it. If you have access to a DAW such as GarageBand/Studio One/Reaper etc. it’s really worth 30-40 minutes having a look and again seeing what you can do with the eq on there and see/hear of you can get the bass sounding more to your preference... If you have an EQ or multifx pedal they will obviously help you find the sweet spot too (especially a semi parametric) but the beauty of a graphic eq in a DAW is you can ‘see’ where the gaps are and then know what might remedy it. I had three p basses at one stage and they all were a little different. I knew one of them was more balanced so when I did the odd recording for my old band I always brought it as it would already sound ‘balanced’. For my other P’s I knew one might need a bump at X to push a bit more or pull out a bit of Z!

Now many will take this with a pinch of salt “I just plug in and play” but there’s no harm in understanding the pros and cons of your bass which ultimately will make it sound good for your ear.

As an aside many of those old 51-54 style P basses with the baseball bat necks sound so good because of the fat neck not in spite of it. 

• 3 months later...

Following on from the suggestions in this thread I solo'd the neck pickup tonight at a band rehearsal and was very pleased with the way it cut through the mix.

I've not really been a fan of that position in the past but it sounded really good in the rehearsal room and the top end was definitely louder and thicker.

Just one more question, the bass has a passive tone control which, to my ears, has never worked.

Has anyone experience this before and is it an easy fix?