Why become a member? ×

Lockdown Challenges - suggest fun exercises or music to learn

Stub Mandrel

I've been constantly looking for songs and riffs to learn that I enjoy and also help me improve by being different to what i would normally play.

I thought it would be good if someone else did the hard work of choosing things to tackle.

Ideally they should be possible to do in 20-30 minutes, not things that require extensive memorising or complex song structures, like YYZ or The Real Me, although excerpts from those songs would qualify.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get the hang of this:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/misc-soundtrack/mission-impossible-theme-bass-3194588

It's probably one of these easiest well known 5/4 songs to play, and has a nice groove and some interesting changes without being technically difficult.

Don't worry about getting that whole song perfect just have fun getting the timing right past the first few bars.

Now any more suggestions...

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 13:01, Stub Mandrel said:

I've been constantly looking for songs and riffs to learn that I enjoy and also help me improve by being different to what i would normally play.

I thought it would be good if someone else did the hard work of choosing things to tackle.

Ideally they should be possible to do in 20-30 minutes, not things that require extensive memorising or complex song structures, like YYZ or The Real Me, although excerpts from those songs would qualify.

Me and the drummer often relapse into the mission impossible theme by limp bizkit for no readily apparent reason

1 hour ago, GrooveTubeBass said:

Try Joe Frazier, this took me months to learn. 

Hmm.. not sure that counts as 20-30 minutes without extensive memorising!

On 15/01/2021 at 13:01, Stub Mandrel said:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get the hang of this:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/misc-soundtrack/mission-impossible-theme-bass-3194588

It's probably one of these easiest well known 5/4 songs to play, and has a nice groove and some interesting changes without being technically difficult.

Don't worry about getting that whole song perfect just have fun getting the timing right past the first few bars.

Now any more suggestions...

Aint no mountain high enough by wossiname and wossername.

Its really fluid and mobile but I find it interesting due to the sudden octave changes, as well as making the pairs of matched notes fluid - you know the

G|-----4-------------|
D|--4--------2-------|
A|--------2----------|
E|-------------------|

Obviously not hard at all, but making it really smooth without trimming the top note.

I should write somethings down as I saw a review of a bass sometime recently, and what the guy was playing was really good as a pattern and I thought 'I will try that', but I can't remember what video it was now, and I wasn't logged in so it doesn't appear in my history!

• Like 1

🙂

Rapture is the sort of thing I meant, simple to learn the notes, good exercise to get it up to speed (I did learn it a few months ago but on revisit I needed to speed up!)

Something as complex as the Bruford is the sort of challenge I'd only take on if I was particularly keen on the song and I'm not sure I'd be up to it. Just learning the beginning riff might be worth a look at!

Yeah. Well... I've been playing Rapture for weeks and weeks. WRONG! I actually think that the version I've been playing is a bit harder but now I'm going to have to re-learn since I actually looked up the tab - though in my defence I picked up the mistake from YouTube. Next... Boys And Girls by Blur - very repetitive, easy to learn, but getting it fluid and clean will take a bit of practise https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/blur/boys-and-girls-bass-17777

• Like 1