Why become a member? ×

Worn out and new themes for songs...

Barking Spiders

While I work I have Planet Rock in the background, not because I'm a fan but it's like aural flock wallpaper and blocks out extraneous sounds. If I have Five Live on I get distracted while stations like Heart, Radio 1, Smooth FM are not for my demographic. Radio 4 is just dull mostly. I digress. Hearing some song called Working  Class Man by some bloke called Jimmy Barnes reminded me this theme of working (class) men  has become a bit of a cliche in rock music. You don't hear Lady GaGa or Dup Lipa singing about proletarian women. Just Googling this, I've come up with Working Man by Rush,  Blue Collar Man by Styx, Working Man by Imagine Dragons,  Diary of a Working Man by Blackfoot,  Working Class Hero by Green Day,  Hard Workin Man by Brooks & Dunn, Workin Man by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band,... I've yet to come across a song about a hedge fund manager or chartered accountant. Maybe someone should come up with songs about white collar workers.

So, are there any other themes that've been done to death and what would you like to hear about instead? Over to you...

10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

You don't hear Lady GaGa or Dup Lipa singing about proletarian women.

Tell me how you feel about this
Who would I want if I would wanna live
I worked hard and sacrificed to get what I get
Ladies, it ain't easy being independent...

• Like 1

I've been listening to hip hop since the late 80s and, to honest, I think the whole 'gangsta' thing may have been a little over done over the last 30 or so years.

Rap is a fantastic story telling medium, but the genre could definitely do with some new plots.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I’m putting it solely down to cheaper or cut price tickets, but the midnight train seems to have had its fair share of passengers over the years...

Sometimes it can be fairly definitive in its destination, and sometimes not!

14:25 to Bair-ming-gham?

It just hasn't got the same ring. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Working class man and anti government (irrespective of which one, just government in general) feature highly on the punk & Oi scene, as does football.

Absolutely. imagine hearing a song who's theme was "governments, of all complexions, have a difficult job but generally try to balance competing priorities as best they can". Can't really imagine pogoing around to that one. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AdrianP said:

Absolutely. imagine hearing a song who's theme was "governments, of all complexions, have a difficult job but generally try to balance competing priorities as best they can"

Hmmm.. 🤔

Fast 4/4, think Quo shuffle:

"So you think it's easy, running this show? You think there's stinky poo that you don't know?

Well it's 3am and you're flipping well right, I'm tired and old and been up all night.

There's not enough people and not enough money, and not enough time. Do you get that, Sonny??

So get off Facebook and get off your derrière. If you actually want to help us out of this farce.

Use your common sense and follow the rules, we know they aren't perfect but don't act like fools.

You try leading the team when the game always changes and when half the players are whingers or ragers.

And maybe, just maybe, in 40 years time, when we've paid back the debt and the economy's OK and we've mourned the dead we'll look back and say.

We all got through"

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 3

On 15/01/2021 at 07:55, Barking Spiders said:

this theme of working (class) men  has become a bit of a cliche in rock music.

Wait cliches in rock music?  And I swear I don't know which one of the three in the Destinys Child video is Beyonce. IS she in that video? I heard she was in that group but I may be wrong I don't want to google it