Why become a member? ×

FGN Jazz or G&L SB2

Chienmortbb

I have always loved non Fender basses. I have a Fender Aerodyne which I love but of course this is not really a Fender. So I have several basses some of which will be for sale on here shortly and want to have just 2.

I am looking at two options in the £500 region, the FGN Magic Jazz (FujiGen, Fuji General) https://fgnguitars.com/eb/mightyjazz/bmj-g/

Or the G&L SB2 https://glguitars.com/product/sb-2-2/

Has anyone experience of either of these basses?

i have a G&L SB2 and absolutely love it. 

The sound is wonderful, pickups are very powerful but the p pickup rolled back and soloed gives a good traditional p bass sound. some people have issues with it not having a tone knob but it has never been an issue for me. I have seen that you can easily mod it to having one if that is your preference. 

the slightly different shape to the standard precision is nice and comfortable and the satin neck feels lovely to play. nice chunky bridge and easy to set up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

i have a G&L SB2 and absolutely love it. 

The sound is wonderful, pickups are very powerful but the p pickup rolled back and soloed gives a good traditional p bass sound. some people have issues with it not having a tone knob but it has never been an issue for me. I have seen that you can easily mod it to having one if that is your preference. 

the slightly different shape to the standard precision is nice and comfortable and the satin neck feels lovely to play. nice chunky bridge and easy to set up.

Thanks for the information.I am quiite happy to mod if needed. My initial thought was to go for a Jazz as I have never owned a Jazz but then I do like the P/J setup.

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

/Has anyone experience of either of these basses?

Not exactly this model but I had two FGN neo classic 5 string jazz and the quality of them was flawless. I would recommend FGN without any doubt, the workmanship is impeccable and both of them sounded great, too. Actually the model you have linked is pretty much the same as the neo classic apart from the pickguard shape 

I also have a G&L SB2 (Tribute) - great bass, punching well above it's financial weight.

I'm done with JJ basses - I feel that they "lack something" that you get with a PJ. 

I'd recommend the SB2 - won't take you long to get over not having a tone knob.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I also have a G&L SB2 (Tribute) - great bass, punching well above it's financial weight.

I'm done with JJ basses - I feel that they "lack something" that you get with a PJ. 

I'd recommend the SB2 - won't take you long to get over not having a tone knob.

I think you have put in words what I am feeling.

• Like 2

Long post...

I have never tried the FGN Magic Jazz, but I tried a few Fender J-basses (American, Mexican, and Japanese)... even Squiers... a Japanese Aerodyne PJ. Until now, I think they sounded great. Jazz basses are so common, that there are lots of materials on the internet about it, including how it sounds.

I currently have a G&L SB-2 that sounds great as well. The things that I like in the SB-2 (which sets it apart from jazz basses and probably other brand’s basses) are:

- MFD pickups

- saddle-lock bridge

- tapered tuners

- the comfortable c-shaped neck

- slim curves of the body

I feel a little hesitant to comment further about the SB-2, because my SB-2 is currently on sale here in BC. Although, I can elaborate further if needed.

You may ask... Why sell if I like an SB-2 that much?! It’s GAS! GAS is really bad.

Edited by gyrus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...