Why become a member? ×

The Fretless Groove Thread

PatrickJ

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Victor Bailey never particularly over stated the fretless sound...he just grooved away on the Bass..!!

Are you sure this is fretless ? (it's my favourite instrumental ever). Always thought it was played fretted and that Bailey could create that sort of fretless mwah because of his attack on a fretted bass..

Edited by wombatboter

30 minutes ago, wombatboter said:

Are you sure this is fretless ? (it's my favourite instrumental ever). Always thought it was played fretted and that Bailey could create that sort of fretless mwah because of his attack on a fretted bass..

You may well be right.

I did see him play this piece a couple of times, once on Fretted and once on Fretless. His fretted sound had more bite and that typical back Pup, DI metalic sound/slight clank.

On the video between 01:12 & 01:14, I cant really work out if there are frets there or not. I did transcribe this back in my collage days and just assumed (sound wise) is was Fretless.

Although, you've now put a big doubt in my head...:D

• Like 1

Here is the track that turned me onto fretless bass. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UOrxSRMPumc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by adriansmith247
  • Like 3

This track is from 1980. The 21-year-old player sounds surprisingly good, although the recording here has some wow and flutter...

I have always loved the relatively simplistic and economical style of Fernando Saunders. This is the opening track of the record The Spin:

I may be wrong, but this sounds like fretless:

It is OK to deal the basic Pino and Tony stuff, but some less distinctive recordings are nice to hear. Even without bass solos I like the sound and slightly different approach of the fretless a lot. Please keep these videos coming.

34 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Boz Burrell is often overlooked when it comes to fretless, which is a travesty.

He’s not widely recognised as an FL player because a) he was in tune and b) his playing didn’t rely on signposting the absence of frets, unlike that of so many FL players 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 3