Why become a member? ×

Non P bass owner thinking of getting P bass...

JohnFitzgerald

It's a very long time since I had a P bass and now that I'm getting older, the yearning for a simple old fashioned traditional P bass is getting stronger.

Has anyone tried one of these ?

http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection-detroit-bass/bass-collection-detroit-bass-solar-flare.html

There are worse choices of bass to have a hankering for, there isn't exactly a shortage.

Another question.

Sunburst or Fiesta Red ?

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

The choice of good P basses nowadays is huge - how anybody can choose is beyond me...

As a recent convert to G&L and Lakland I can recommend the build quality.

Can't comment of G&L but the Lakland 55-01 I've been using is very nice.

i don't have the bar set very high here in terms of cost. I already have some really nicer basses so don't want to take the mickey.

4 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

It's a very long time since I had a P bass and now that I'm getting older, the yearning for a simple old fashioned traditional P bass is getting stronger.

Has anyone tried one of these ?

http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection-detroit-bass/bass-collection-detroit-bass-solar-flare.html

There are worse choices of bass to have a hankering for, there isn't exactly a shortage.

Another question.

Sunburst or Fiesta Red ?

I have the Detroit, and it I cannot fault it. 

• Like 1

I've not played the Detroit but I have played the blockhead bass and the Guy Pratt one, both were amazing. 

If you're looking for an inexpensive Precision the current crop of squier CV are worth consideration too. 

Definitely sunburst. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

Is there something I'm not understanding regarding the price of this one compared to new ?

The discontinued first edition (made in China) were particularly good and some say a future classic.  The later/current ones (made in Indonesia) are still pretty good.  I have one of the current ones and like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, walshy said:

P basses are great, I think I have 15 🤪 All the same but different. Love them all!

And there’s me feeling guilty cos I have 2 Precisions & 2 Jazzes. Lesson learned, need to buy more basses, thanks 😊 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

And there’s me feeling guilty cos I have 2 Precisions & 2 Jazzes. Lesson learned, need to buy more basses, thanks 😊

That's pretty restrained. I keep up with developments and trends in the bass world. I'm interested in any improvements that are being made to basses, amps and cabs. With 1 Jazz and 1 P bass and I'm not looking for anything at the moment. . . . . . well maybe another Lull  P5 with rounds!

Edited by chris_b
spelling!!