Why become a member? ×

Suspicious message on gumtree

uk_lefty

I got this message on Gumtree within minutes of listing an effects pedal at just over 200 quid. I'm suspicious... Have replied using slang and being a bit obtuse on detail hoping that I get a sensible answer and it turns out to be genuine. Would be interested to see if anyone else has had this? 

Screenshot_20210114_171747.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

After I conversed with all those Nigerian princes, I stopped using Gumtree altogether.

But how rich are you now Chris, after all those lottery wins 🤣

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's, the response. Follows a standard scam pattern:

I appreciate your response as I'm ready to buy, sorry i won't be around for inspection because i work full time. I am satisfied with the information provided but if there are specific details you need to add please don't hesitate to do so for clean sale. A courier/pick up agent who will come over at your address for the collection after money has been paid to your account, So they will be available for all necessities needed done about the collection which you have nothing to worry about. Sorry I am not available for voice calls due to my work. That is the reason you got the message from my daughter on Gumtree.

Note: This transaction will be done through PayPal because I am unable to bring cash to your location, kindly get back to me with the following details: PayPal email address and the name of the PayPal account holder for fast payment now so we can proceed from there on the collection .. I will be expecting your response ASAP

Regards    

• Haha 1

If you're bored reply and say that the pedal is worth more than you thought, and you've had an offer of £250. Ask if he's willing to better that offer. If he will then say you'll only accept friends and family payment, or gift or whatever PP call it now. Just keep stringing him along. 

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

If you're bored reply and say that the pedal is worth more than you thought, and you've had an offer of £250. Ask if he's willing to better that offer. If he will then say you'll only accept friends and family payment, or gift or whatever PP call it now. Just keep stringing him along. 

Life's too short, just reported it to Gmail as spam and reported the message to Gumtree also. Am ignoring it all. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maude said:

Any message to an ad which says, "I am ready to purchase", or similar would just get ignored. 

Hello friend, I stand ready and waiting to purchase your second hand 4005. Please send me your greatest price, and my agent will be in touch with your bankers with most immediacy.

Good luck, and may your Gods smile upon you.

Yours, Doctor Sir Hilary Scampardon.

• Haha 1

Scammer!!

I listed several items before Xmas and had the same message from the same person wanting to buy all 4 - 2 electro acoustics, the Ibanez fretless and Markbass rig I have for sale here.

Reply advising that you're reporting them to Fraud Action. I'd add something to this affect on the ad too.

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

Unfortunately what you've done there is give your email address to a spammer/scammer. So be careful of any other tricks theyll try in the future.

Just as an aside, it's always good to have an email address that you use for this sort of thing, shop receipts, manager at work, etc. 

One you don't monitor that will get all the spam. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Scammer!!

I listed several items before Xmas and had the same message from the same person wanting to buy all 4 - 2 electro acoustics, the Ibanez fretless and Markbass rig I have for sale here.

Reply advising that you're reporting them to Fraud Action. I'd add something to this affect on the ad too.

I wonder if one of these scammers has tried buying a Mason edition Sansamp pedal?