Why become a member? ×

Loyalty doesn't need to cost

Al Krow

18 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

All the bass any collector/ hobbyist/ player would ever need.

0EFF68FF-044F-4029-8701-F5B9537AA69E.jpeg

713609EA-D7EF-4280-87C4-5A2868368E1F.jpeg

1683BA8B-9755-4C70-BFFA-D131FC39DA71.jpeg

Really liked these when I worked in a fender dealership, I fitted a wide bevel celluloid tort pickguard to one I sold for the customer and added covers. Looked the dogs danglies...

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Really liked these when I worked in a fender dealership, I fitted a wide bevel celluloid tort pickguard to one I sold for the customer and added covers. Looked the dogs danglies...

Yeh I’ve seen similar Moollon’s with that combo and they look great. Specs were US standard pickups, blizzard Pearl finish, B width neck. I also love how the body colour matches the logo. Mine has been fitted with Lindy Fralin pickups and had the fretwork sorted out at the Gallery which really helped the action.
Just found this old clip I played it on (wow 7 years ago!)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Yeh I’ve seen similar Moollon’s with that combo and they look great. Specs were US standard pickups, blizzard Pearl finish, B width neck. I also love how the body colour matches the logo. Mine has been fitted with Lindy Fralin pickups and had the fretwork sorted out at the Gallery which really helped the action.
Just found this old clip I played it on (wow 7 years ago!)

Sounds ace - great playing too 👍🏼

• Like 2

On 17/01/2021 at 15:28, Lozz196 said:

Def, I have home-use basses and band-use basses. I’ll still play the band-use ones at home but the home-use ones are strictly that (well recording as well maybe but no situations where they could get stolen). I could easily cut back on numbers but it’s my hobby and I don’t really spend money on anything else.

Very nicely summarised, Lozz, and you've quite rightly included recording use for good measure which I had failed to mention. In terms of connecting with an audience, albeit not in the same way as on a gig, that's gotta be right up there.

I think you're probably due an eye test soon though, mate, given how much you and I seem to be seeing eye to eye on a lot of things recently 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TJ1 said:

It's not just guitars - my 15 quid Kettle has lasted longer than all my other kitchen appliances - I don't even know what make it is(I am usually idiotically fixated on branding)

I find Amazon baffeling - 50 variants of almost identical kettles from Chinese brands you’ve never heard of - no way of knowing if any of them are any good

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I find Amazon baffeling - 50 variants of almost identical kettles from Chinese brands you’ve never heard of - no way of knowing if any of them are any good

What I do when I buy an appliance is look at how much the retailer is charging for additional years cover. This I think tells me how durable the appliance is - the more expensive the additional cover is(relative to the appliances price) the dodgier the appliance. I don't know how you could apply this formula  to bass guitars - maybe amps.

I lead such an interesting life - really I should have my own TV show.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TJ1 said:

What I do when I buy an appliance is look at how much the retailer is charging for additional years cover. This I think tells me how durable the appliance is - the more expensive the additional cover is(relative to the appliances price) the dodgier the appliance. I don't know how you could apply this formula  to bass guitars - maybe amps.

I lead such an interesting life - really I should have my own TV show.

Speaking of TV's I had a bloomin' Sony colour TV, you know the usual 'tube' type before flat screens arrived. Would it break down so I could get a widescreen plasma? Like heck it would! Just went on and on and on working just fine...

What is scary these days is that a laptop is only supposed to last 18 months or so before something like the screen will go and that's considered normal wear and tear.

Decent cheaper basses are more like Sony TVs.

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Speaking of TV's I had a bloomin' Sony colour TV, you know the usual 'tube' type before flat screens arrived. Would it break down so I could get a widescreen plasma? Like heck it would! Just went on and on and on working just fine...

What is scary these days is that a laptop is only supposed to last 18 months or so before something like the screen will go and that's considered normal wear and tear.

Re - Laptops I think you have got a very specific choice either you go cheap for  a £500 consumer laptop and deal with the inevitable limited life span or you join the crew who need to use their laptops for their work and living 40 hours a week for years and will not accept unreliable or deliberately obsolesent component faults. At the level you are good at 2k plus for a Dell XPS or a good Lenovo Thinkpad - but if you don't abuse them they will last a mininum five years if not ten or more - remember they are designed for 40 hours a week hard use and often guaranteed for that use for 3-4 years

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Had a Sony tv too and eventually bit the bullet and just threw it out to get a flat screen. Cant even remember how many yrs i had it. Never had an issue with it at all.

Dave

41 minutes ago, TJ1 said:

Re - Laptops I think you have got a very specific choice either you go cheap for  a £500 consumer laptop and deal with the inevitable limited life span or you join the crew who need to use their laptops for their work and living 40 hours a week for years and will not accept unreliable or deliberately obsolesent component faults. At the level you are good at 2k plus for a Dell XPS or a good Lenovo Thinkpad - but if you don't abuse them they will last a mininum five years if not ten or more - remember they are designed for 40 hours a week hard use and often guaranteed for that use for 3-4 years

Yeah had an Asus £1k. Screen went after 18 months light use. Ugh!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

There are a lot of budget laptops that are basically thrown out cheap to give people something to connect to the internet.

My macbook is a 2011 version which I am considering updating when the new processors come out. I also have a Microsoft Surface book that I think is 2018 that will annoy me greatly if anything goes wrong on it in the next 6 or 7 years. Unfortunately they are not cheap but if you want something you can use hard day in day out without trouble, you need to pay for it.

Disposable laptops are disposable, that much is true, but also true of everything.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I agree with that Woody, it's just when I paid £1k for an Asus laptop I certainly didn't consider that to be "disposable". 

When I buy something with the word asus on it I consider it disposable!

Having said that, no you should have been able to expect it to last longer than 18 months, and in fact I believe that as you must have bought that while we were still an EU member you have a right for it to last a 'reasonable period', which in the case of a laptop of that cost should be the full 6 years.

And yes,  friend of mine did get a full refund at 3 years on a laptop that failed that way, but he had to make a bit of a fuss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

When I buy something with the word asus on it I consider it disposable!

Having said that, no you should have been able to expect it to last longer than 18 months, and in fact I believe that as you must have bought that while we were still an EU member you have a right for it to last a 'reasonable period', which in the case of a laptop of that cost should be the full 6 years.

And yes,  friend of mine did get a full refund at 3 years on a laptop that failed that way, but he had to make a bit of a fuss.

Ah that's really helpful and interesting. Amazon, as the laptop retailer, refused any form of compensation saying that it had lasted a normal / expected "wear and tear" period. If your friend has the legislation reference that he was able to make use of would be very useful to know. 

Edited by Al Krow

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes/division/3

"Under the law of England and Wales and of Northern Ireland, claims for breach of contract are subject to a limitation period of six years from the date of the breach of contract [...]

"For example, the statutory right may not be breached and so a consumer would not be able to obtain a remedy if, say, a very cheap kettle stopped working fully after four years, as a reasonable person might not expect a bottom of the range kettle to last that long."

It's not saying that a laptop must last for six years; no law would say anything so specific.  It's saying that any claim must be made within six years.  The question is whether the laptop meets "the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory".  I am a reasonable person and I would say that 18 months is not long enough for a £1000 laptop.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes/division/3

"Under the law of England and Wales and of Northern Ireland, claims for breach of contract are subject to a limitation period of six years from the date of the breach of contract [...]

"For example, the statutory right may not be breached and so a consumer would not be able to obtain a remedy if, say, a very cheap kettle stopped working fully after four years, as a reasonable person might not expect a bottom of the range kettle to last that long."

It's not saying that a laptop must last for six years; no law would say anything so specific.  It's saying that any claim must be made within six years.  The question is whether the laptop meets "the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory".  I am a reasonable person and I would say that 18 months is not long enough for a £1000 laptop.

John I agree with all of that. Amazon were however arguing that 18 months lifespan for a laptop was reasonable. But frankly I would have said the same for a £500 laptop, but @TJ1 is suggesting the opposite in his  post above.

I'd have to say that 18mths for any laptop failing isn't wear and tear in my book no matter what the manufacturer is.

I expect any item i buy to last a bit longer than 18 mths and i think Amazon are chancing their arm with that statement.

Did you speak to Trading Standards or Citizens advice.

I was under the impression that anything made for the UK market must be expected to last a minimum of 5 yrs oor there abouts even tho guarantees are 1 year. No idea where i got that from tho ?

Dave 

• Like 1

Well I bought a £440 (before VAT) laptop for my business from HP and they were quite happy to sell me a full 3-year pick up and return warranty for £40.

OK HP isn't Asus but they obviously expect a pretty good level of reliability if they can do that for £40.

A similar priced HP laptop from Currys the same cover would cost £130 (I have knocked off the VAT).

So two good reasons to go direct to manufacturer: no preinstalled bloatware and less than a third of the price for extended warranty. 🙂

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

I had a MacBook fail and while apple claimed it was outside their 1 yr warranty they suggested I go to the reseller- Curry’s and make a complaint as it wouldn’t be expected to fail within that time period. Ironically Apple didn’t see fit that it should be fixed by them while telling me to go back to Curry’s. Luckily the store manager was from N. Ireland as am I and I threw a bit of thick country ignorance at him and he understood (I told him I had Applecare on an iPad Pro which meant two free replacements. I explained to him how I’d be up to collect my new iPad Pro tomorrow as I felt my current one might be about to have an accident and I might just “accidentally” break that one too so he could expect me back the following day for my second free replacement). 

Needless to say he agreed to fix the issue!