Why become a member? ×

Loyalty doesn't need to cost

Al Krow

11 minutes ago, peteb said:

It's all about attitude. 

Are you a collector, a hobbyist or a player? All are fine, but make a choice... 

Why the hell can’t you be all 3? 

My most loyal bass is a cheap MIM Fender Precision though slightly special because it was a 60th anniversary edition (proper one, not just got a small badge). It’s always hung about even when it’s been 3rd or 4th choice.

Don’t have a photo on this phone but will look to take one tomorrow. 

I kinda agree with what  @peteb was getting at - sometimes you pay more and you get a better instrument. I picked up a Fodera at the Bass shop near henley that Molan used to be connected too (I forget the name), and without plugging it in I could tell that it was an amazing sounding resonating, even playing instrument and kinda understood why it had the price tag it had. On the flip side the guy from Vulfpeck did ok for himself with a Mexican fender.

so if you've got a cheaper bass that sounds as good. great. 

Also as Pete says it's a bit about attitude. I'm quite happy to buy a bass, try it and if I don't get on with it sell it on and try something else. 
I've got a mate who's a guitarist and he's dropped a crazy crazy amount on essentially a custom bitsa - it's resale value is almost nothing - but he works professionally and it's a tool for the job and he knows the exact specs he requires. It's a bit like a trades person who needs a drill for a job, they go and buy the best Makita they can afford, beacause they like that brand, know it's reliable and know it will perform. They won't save £50 and try the deWalt that's on offer and has better specs on paper ... because on the job they don't have the level of confidence it will deliver.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I kinda agree with what  @peteb was getting at - sometimes you pay more and you get a better instrument. I picked up a Fodera at the Bass shop near henley that Molan used to be connected too (I forget the name), and without plugging it in I could tell that it was an amazing sounding resonating, even playing instrument and kinda understood why it had the price tag it had. On the flip side the guy from Vulfpeck did ok for himself with a Mexican fender.

Also as Pete says it's a bit about attitude. I'm quite happy to buy a bass, try it and if I don't get on with it sell it on and try something else. 
I've got a mate who's a guitarist and he's dropped a crazy crazy amount on essentially a custom bitsa - it's resale value is almost nothing - but he works professionally and it's a tool for the job and he knows the exact specs he requires. It's a bit like a trades person who needs a drill for a job, they go and buy the best Makita they can afford, beacause they like that brand, know it's reliable and know it will perform. They won't save £50 and try the deWalt that's on offer and has better specs on paper ... because on the job they don't have the level of confidence it will deliver.

And because once you have the battery packs - staying with the same brand makes sense as you can have a battery on constant charge and just change in and out at will - I learnt that the hard way

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I understand others have different preferences and I have a one dimensional view. I don't see the point of owning a bass and not gigging it. Since day one I've been playing bass because I want to be in a band and that band must be gigging. All my playing at home is either geared to improving my technique or learning songs for the gig.

Re Xotic basses, check out Travis Carlton. He switched from Sadowsky to Xotic, which sparked my interest. They are some of the best sounding basses I've heard, but every last one I've checked out has been over 10lbs. That's a show stopper for me.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

12 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

And because once you have the battery packs - staying with the same brand makes sense as you can have a battery on constant charge and just change in and out at will - I learnt that the hard way

I think what you both are saying is that pros generally know what they want and go for that. 

I know a lot of pros and the only one that is anything like a collector (and he would deny that he is a collector) is the most successful. I'm sure that he would say that they are tools to do a job, just he has the money and opportunity to pick up guitars when he's on tour that you don't always see in the UK. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Mine was purely related to tools, no analogies!

I suppose you could relate it to basses in that, you buy the same tools as they get the job done - you turn up with a P bass for job ‘x’ the punter recognises, the technician knows how to mix it etc

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I understand others have different preferences and I have a one dimensional view. I don't see the point of owning a bass and not gigging it. Since day one I've been playing bass because I want to be in a band and that band must be gigging. All my playing at home is either geared to improving my technique or learning songs for the gig.

Re Xotic basses, check out Travis Carlton. He switched from Sadowsky to Xotic, which sparked my interest. They are some of the best sounding basses I've heard, but every last one I've checked out has been over 10lbs. That's a show stopper for me.

My five string is bang on 10lbs, the four is just over 9.5lbs. To be fair, that's not a problem for me and probably not for Travis (who is a big lad). 

I did once have a Fender jazz that was over 12lbs, which was a bit much and got moved on. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have a wee notion for an Alembic at the mment but probably won't and will end up buying a Vintera P bass as its stuck in my head. If i do decide to buy another bass that is. 

Over the pst year, there have been a lot of used alembics for sale. More than I have seen in a long time, and most have been priced sensibly so if you are interested this is probably a good time to keep your eyes open and maybe take the leap. 🙂👍

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, peteb said:

The Xotic just sounds like a very nice active Fender, nothing more or nothing less! 

The thread has just started to explore interesting tangents and come up with some interesting contributions, just as you would hope that any normal conversation would. 

Listening to that clip i posted i'd def agree that it looks and sounds like a very good active Fender. They look nicer than Fenders tho. I liked the sound and if looking for a new active bass they def look like a good choice. Quite rare tho so the chance of being able to try one up here is gonna be limited.

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peteb said:

That’s nonsense, people are more than welcome to use their hard earned money in whatever way that makes them happy. I am just speaking subjectively as someone who has gigged for more than forty years at a reasonable standard.

I don’t want to be too dogmatic about this, we’ve all got a sentimental attachment to various musical instruments. All that I am saying is that my opinion as a long term gigging musician is that you primarily look at basses as tools to do a job!

Think we are at different levels in how we approach bass playing.

For me its always been just a hobby that i enjoy. Did a lot of gigging in 80's / 90's then took a break until 2010 and now busier than ever before but i still view it as just a hobby. 

I like to gig once or twice a month and no more and don't want a band to become a job as such.

Because i view the whole thing as a hobby i often indulge myself with something expensive and nice.  My Overwater custom fretless 6 is the best example. Its probably more sentimental value as my wife bought it for me when i turned 50 in 2010. I just enjoy picking it up and playing some fretless bass at home. I went 6 string to push myself to learn new techniques and improve my general playing. Its a bit heavy to play a full 2-3 hr gig but i have used it in studio projects on occasion.

I think (and its only my own impression) that you are more a working bassist and your bass is more a tool for the job (albeit an expensive tool) so you have a different viewpoit of bass ownership than me. Maybe i'm wrong there ?

I would add that if i had bought a £3k bass that worked in my current band i would probably be using it. Think i've just contradicted myself on this post 😂

Dave

Me - I’ll just play whatever whenever and wherever-reverse use I will likely have the more expensive one in a case to stop the kids and animals bashing it and the less expensive one out in the wild, but then olay the more expensive one out - partly because it’s good and partly because it’s less hassle to pick and run with an already packed bass!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Me - I’ll just play whatever whenever and wherever-reverse use I will likely have the more expensive one in a case to stop the kids and animals bashing it and the less expensive one out in the wild, but then olay the more expensive one out - partly because it’s good and partly because it’s less hassle to pick and run with an already packed bass!

Easy mucka. Hope you are keeping well all considered (again). Thanks for reminding me of my stupidity 😂. However little person induced mojo is not the worst....... so I keep telling myself. 

IMG_20201105_073334.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Easy mucka. Hope you are keeping well all considered (again). Thanks for reminding me of my stupidity 😂. However little person induced mojo is not the worst....... so I keep telling myself. 

IMG_20201105_073334.jpg

See that’s a story, and hence fine by me and looks well good - the only thing I am slightly precious about is graphite and my 12 string, but even they have taken to odd uppercut - I am good thanks buddy 🤘🏾👊🏾

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Leave the expensive bass out and lock the kids away. Just throwing in other options @Cuzzie  😂

Free advice :- only do this when wife is out. 

Dave

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

See that’s a story, and hence fine by me and looks well good - the only thing I am slightly precious about is graphite and my 12 string, but even they have taken to odd uppercut - I am good thanks buddy 🤘🏾👊🏾

Glad your'e all good. Rack of 11......most expensive one on the rack 😂😂😂. Its like I had upset her and she knew.... mmmm. I think I found the offending tool, a wooden push along Peter rabbit... which is now in her playhouse🐰😂

My Thunderbird is in its case though.!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Leave the expensive bass out and lock the kids away. Just throwing in other options @Cuzzie  😂

Free advice :- only do this when wife is out. 

Dave

When they are out - all hell breaks loose!

In a macabre way, in the first lockdown where I separated myself from the family in the living room, sleeping everything etc. as I was continuing to work, I moved all bass stuff down there and had it out - big amp and cab - it was brilliant - they would go out on their exercise and I would turn up to 12, no chance of stuff getting battered unless I had a wild nights sleep - I saw the benefit of Man Cave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Glad your'e all good. Rack of 11......most expensive one on the rack 😂😂😂. Its like I had upset her and she knew.... mmmm. I think I found the offending tool, a wooden push along Peter rabbit... which is now in her playhouse🐰😂

My Thunderbird is in its case though.!

I did have a rabbit joke planned, but it’s a Sunday and I am trying to rest from them as well.....

• Haha 1

I have a used CV Jazz (which I repsrayed ad upgraded the pick ups) and a bitsa P which I’ll likely never shift. Not had them longer than any other bass but they’ll be here a while.  Previously my longest running bass was a Dingwall Super PZ5 into a Monique amp which I gigged for years in a pub band and out with a bigger gig I had and loved it but sold them to boost my savings. Like @peteb I bought them to gig- it was always with the intent of gigging them. As much as I loved the look-design-craftsmanship they were both well crafted instruments as much as they  were utilitarian tools to do a job.

The discussion about fancy basses and whether to gig them or not... I couldn’t imagine owning a Ken Smith or the BBNE as mentioned in the first post and not take them out to a couple of gigs just to hear them in context but if the basses are collectors pieces, bought to gaze upon and rarely played then so be it. Many of these higher end basses are investment pieces and bought for their quality and craftsmanship but it does feel like a terrible waste to some folk who see owning the best bass they can afford so they can actually play it.
“basses are also musical instruments and many high-end basses can also be fantastic pieces of craftsmanship.”

Some might argue that first and foremost a bass is a musical instrument. Ken Smith designed and built his basses to be played fancy as the woods are and the time invested in crafting them. Sure he wanted to ‘craft’ a killer instrument but he didn’t make it to be a piece of furniture. Nathan East had Yamaha build him a bass which he could gig. 

Everyone has an opinion on it I suppose! 

Edited by krispn

12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

For me, the key point that you're missing Pete is clear from your thinking of basses as just "tools" to do a job. Yeah for sure they can be just that and I've got a couple of super work-horse basses that do me proud (the OP Yammy being one of them).

But basses are also musical instruments and many high-end basses can also be fantastic pieces of craftsmanship. 

A musical instrument should be played. No disagreement from me on that, but where and when it is played is up to the owner - there is no "directive" that says if you're in a band you MUST gig all your basses. 

A lot of us get a lot of fun playing our basses at home whether we are in bands or not.  As you say "people are more than welcome to use their hard earned money in whatever way that makes them happy".  Amen to that.

Good post.

There are enough rules already, I don't need no steekin' new rulez that tell me what guitar I can or cannot have and where to use it, darn it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Why the hell can’t you be all 3? 

My most loyal bass is a cheap MIM Fender Precision though slightly special because it was a 60th anniversary edition (proper one, not just got a small badge). It’s always hung about even when it’s been 3rd or 4th choice.

Don’t have a photo on this phone but will look to take one tomorrow. 

All the bass any collector/ hobbyist/ player would ever need.

0EFF68FF-044F-4029-8701-F5B9537AA69E.jpeg

713609EA-D7EF-4280-87C4-5A2868368E1F.jpeg

1683BA8B-9755-4C70-BFFA-D131FC39DA71.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

A musical instrument should be played. No disagreement from me on that, but where and when it is played is up to the owner - there is no "directive" that says if you're in a band you MUST gig all your basses. 

A lot of us get a lot of fun playing our basses at home whether we are in bands or not.  As you say "people are more than welcome to use their hard earned money in whatever way that makes them happy".  Amen to that.

Def, I have home-use basses and band-use basses. I’ll still play the band-use ones at home but the home-use ones are strictly that (well recording as well maybe but no situations where they could get stolen). I could easily cut back on numbers but it’s my hobby and I don’t really spend money on anything else.

• Like 2