Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie sold, Ashdown, Trace Elliott rumours?

Chienmortbb

The Mesa deal is done they are now part of Gibson, is that   bad news for bass players? Trace enthusiasts might think so. On the YouTube channel, Know Your Gear, It was also touted that either Ashdown or Trace Ellott had also been sold, possibly to Cort. I must stress that I can find no corroboration for this. Has anyone any more info?

TE being sold might actually be good news. Essentially Peavey did one launch of gear in 2006 and the ELF in the last couple of years, with not much inbetween. I mean, surely a 500 watt class D amp with the classic SMX preamp should have been a no-brainer?

• Like 5

Hopefully Trace have been sold. It's probably one of the top 3 most famous Bass brands of all time (IMO of course) The name still carries a lot of weight, (pun fully intended!) and I've always found it strange how such a internationally renown brand was mothballed  (bar the Elf series) for no apparent reason. 

Imagine if they came out with a range of lightweight class D heads, using the SMX pre-amp, with some form of UV type lighting as a nod to their heritage. Coupled with modern, lightweight cabs with high performance design/drivers etc. They'd make an absolute killing. 

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Ashdown grew out of a split with TE. Why would they want anything to do with putting a competitor back in the race?

Well, they could pull the old trick of buying Trace Elliot specifically to own the IP and prevent the brand from ever being put back in the race. Not unlike Fender buying SWR and Sunn. 

I don't see that happening though. 

I've never owned any TE gear but I'd really like to see someone take it out of the hands of Peavey and do something with it. TE have a grand total of 7 products on the market at the moment, and only one of those is actually a head. For such an iconic brand it's being treated in a pretty appalling manner.

I've never owned any Ashdown gear either, but I hope they don't sell out to someone else

• Like 1

Peavey are doing great things with the Trace brand IMO, they revived a long dead relic that only a small minority of players have a fondness for and made it into a range of amplification that stands out in a crowded market. Trace were very much a product of their time and a range of amps based on what they used to offer players would absolutely tank today.

I played and gigged TE back in the 90s btw and still played through a Trace preamp in our rehearsal room before covid hit, there's no desire to go back to it from me. Would consider an Elf if I needed a little rig though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, thodrik said:

TE being sold might actually be good news. Essentially Peavey did one launch of gear in 2006 and the ELF in the last couple of years, with not much inbetween. I mean, surely a 500 watt class D amp with the classic SMX preamp should have been a no-brainer?

I'd be at the front of the queue for one of those.

• Like 2

Loads of stuff you could do with trace nowadays that just didnt exist when they were around.

Lightweight cabs.

Pre amp pedals.

Larger class d amps with classic pre amp built in.

Their current range just doesnt interest me at all. I had an elf which was surprisingly good, but was max on its limits in a gig situation, so not great in the real world. The pre amp transit pedal is expensive and their 8" and 10" cabs just dont do it for me.

Whack together a classic pre amp, the large band eq, the UV light and an 800w class d power stage and it's a winner. Couple that with a lightweight 4x10 or 2x12 all in the black and green and its sounding good already.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 6

On 15/01/2021 at 01:41, lemmywinks said:

Peavey are doing great things with the Trace brand IMO, they revived a long dead relic that only a small minority of players have a fondness for and made it into a range of amplification that stands out in a crowded market. Trace were very much a product of their time and a range of amps based on what they used to offer players would absolutely tank today.

I played and gigged TE back in the 90s btw and still played through a Trace preamp in our rehearsal room before covid hit, there's no desire to go back to it from me. Would consider an Elf if I needed a little rig though.

What range of amplification would that be and what great things are they doing with the brand? I thought they only make a 200w class D amp that doesn't have the Trace Elliot sound. It's an ok amp but just a toy compared to the original Trace gear.

• Like 2

I don't fit in either camp here! I love all the old Trace gear I have ever owned and still use some of it, good sound is good sound to me regardless of when am amp was built. 

But I also love the Elf, in its own right. So much more than it ought to be in such a tiny package. I'd gig with it without hesitation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2elliot said:

What range of amplification would that be and what great things are they doing with the brand? I thought they only make a 200w class D amp that doesn't have the Trace Elliot sound. It's an ok amp but just a toy compared to the original Trace gear.

I'm guessing you know perfectly well what they make, you can always check on their website if not though. Their range of amps, cabs and combos seem to be selling well, people are gigging with them and they are an attractive proposition for a lot of players so absolutely not a toy. In fact they are everything the old Trace gear selling for peanuts on eBay fails to be - something a lot of bassists want to buy and use. It doesn't have that Trace Elliot sound or frontend because very few people want that, it aint the 80s any more.

I'd say to go from a dead and highly unfashionable brand with minimal value outside of a small circle of older British bassists to a legit contender is a massive achievement, particularly when you look at how crowded the market is. Straight after the Elf was released TC made their copycat head and Warwick followed suit showing a trend for super micro amps, looks like the bean counters were right on this one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I appear to be of the odd opinion that I really like the Peavey era stuff from about 2002. The older stuff is great as well.

This new stuff is awful. Unless you play a jazz gig you'd need an 8x10 to play anything bigger as the Elf is so anaemic. You can put it in your pocket? Whooptee do. You'll be red lining it the whole way as it's got so little power. 

Also, whomever priced the new cabs is on crack. They're ludicrously expensive for what they are. 

Get the preamp of the older models bang a 1000W class D behind it. Job done. Instead, we get this ludicrous set of products that look like someone forgot to add water to get them to the correct size.

Edited by Wolverinebass
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

I appear to be of the odd opinion that I really like the Peavey era stuff from about 2002. The older stuff is great as well.

This new stuff is awful. Unless you play a jazz gig you'd need an 8x10 to play anything bigger as the Elf is so anaemic. You can put it in your pocket? Whooptee do. You'll be red lining it the whole way as it's got so little power. 

Also, whomever priced the new cabs is on crack. They're ludicrously expensive for what they are. 

Get the preamp of the older models bang a 1000W class D behind it. Job done. Instead, we get this ludicrous set of products that look like someone forgot to add water to get them to the correct size.

I agree 100% with you, I owned one of the early Peavey era Trace heads and it sounded excellent.  

I've never seen anyone gig an Elf, but I have seen plenty of old Trace Elliots. 

...and fingers crossed for Mesa, I hope they survive. 

• Like 1

I don't know about the cabs etc, but I've got an Elf head, and it's great. Like any amp, it's perfect for some gigs, and poorly suited to others.
I wish they'd called it a Peavey Elf though. It doesn't particularly bother me that Peavey are using the Trace Elliot brand for not-very-Trace-y things, but it clearly riles up a certain demographic - every discussion about the Elf seems to get sidetracked into grumbling about that instead! 😆

• Like 1