Why become a member? ×

Looking to snap-up Ashdown ABM-300-EVO IV for a crunchy sound

PeteJ

Hi,

I play at home and want a new amp (the two I have sound too clean output and I want a nice crunch). Now I think I played through an Ampeg fridge back in the mid-90s when I recorded a demo with a band in a rehearsal room in Wembley - I really cranked it up and got a massive crunchy sound out of it! I can't afford one of those, so was pondering an Ashdown ABM-300-EVO IV, which I can get for £429 (rrp is £579).

Would that be worth a punt?

Cheers

Pete

PS: The two heads I have are a Hartke HA2500 and Laney R500H.

I have the 600 watt version and for me with the valve drive on full you get some nice warmth and extra harmonics but no real overdrive as such, just a small amount of breakup. It is however insanely powerful so the fact that I can’t push it fully may be a factor there, and being lower powered the 300 may achieve exactly what you’re after - or indeed the breakup that I get may be the crunch you want.

But that aside, they are a quality amp, I’d fully recommend the ABM EVO IV amps all day long, incredibly versatile and a real depth/weight to the sound.

• Thanks 1

I have a 300 watt ABM evo , which is nearly 20 years old , so not one of the newer models. I've driven it hard and it's always stayed pretty much clean , not what i would call crunchy. You may be better off with something like an Ampeg PF20T or PF50T if you want crunch at home level or maybe just get a decent drive pedal?

• Thanks 1

On 14/01/2021 at 14:42, PeteJ said:

Thanks all. I just ordered an Ampeg overdrive pedal - let's see if that does the job.

Sounds like a good plan. 

Please do report back on your experiences with the pedal, which will no doubt be of interest to others.

I would say that the Tech21 Sansamp bass driver was the pedal to get classic Ampeg tones from. With that in mind maybe a Behringer BDI 21 might be worth a try as it's kind of a clone of the Sansamp, but waaay cheaper. 

• Thanks 1

Tried it just now. Pretty good, I'd say! Much better sound than a distortion pedal, less harsh. I whacked up the drive and blend to max, the treble and volume to half and that was a good bit of overdrive. Too much treble and it sounds too harsh (but I have a lot of treble on the bass and the amp). Oh and I used it with a Laney R500H amp with an Ibanez SR300 bass.