Why become a member? ×

Hermes courier - new flexible delivery option!!!

kevin_lindsay

OK, so you ship something worth £1, or you ship something worth £1,000 of the same weight and volume. Should the cost to you be the same? The result (ie risk to the insuring party) if there is loss or damage isn’t. This is why most couriers now refuse almost anything fragile. If you insure your car (think 3rd party rather you causing damage), the cost is based on risk, part of which is replacement or insurance cost. And when you do make a claim, watch the insurer do their very best to wriggle out of paying anything, or give you a ridiculous offer. It’s the way insurance works and always has been.

Couriers do stump up - for what is covered in their Ts and Cs. Now in the case of the OP it seems like malicious damage so may go beyond the couriers Ts and Cs - I wonder if a small claims court application (don’t have to go through with it, the threat may be enough) or some strongly-worded  text to someone high up may help? 

Ultimately the only way to effect change is to vote with your wallet - if everyone stops using their services maybe things will change. But maybe not!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

OK, so you ship something worth £1, or you ship something worth £1,000 of the same weight and volume. Should the cost to you be the same? The result (ie risk to the insuring party) if there is loss or damage isn’t. This is why most couriers now refuse almost anything fragile. If you insure your car (think 3rd party rather you causing damage), the cost is based on risk, part of which is replacement or insurance cost. And when you do make a claim, watch the insurer do their very best to wriggle out of paying anything, or give you a ridiculous offer. It’s the way insurance works and always has been.

Couriers do stump up - for what is covered in their Ts and Cs. Now in the case of the OP it seems like malicious damage so may go beyond the couriers Ts and Cs - I wonder if a small claims court application (don’t have to go through with it, the threat may be enough) or some strongly-worded  text to someone high up may help? 

Ultimately the only way to effect change is to vote with your wallet - if everyone stops using their services maybe things will change. But maybe not!

I do understand all that, and to a degree it's understandable, but it does give them a get out jail free card for, at best accidents, at worst theft. 

I'm a panel beater in a large accident repair centre. We can't increase our hourly rate when we work on an expensive car. Whether I'm working on a brand new Aston Martin or a ten year old Dacia, the hourly rate is the same (there are variables but that's down to who you're insured with, not us), but the financial risk of rectifying mistakes is massively different. Also due to the far greater complexity of more expensive cars over budget brands/models, the risk of mistakes is also increased (in general). 

You don't take your car to a bodyshop and ask for their hourly rate, to be told it's a sliding scale from £35p/h on vehicles valued below £1000, to £500p/h for vehicles valued over £100,000.

So would it be reasonable to ask for the customer to take out an insurance policy to cover any extra cost due to any mistakes made?

The kind of thing I'm talking about is, for instance, say I was doing a front end repair on a car and while removing the headlights I dropped one (like a courier parcel). Some headlights are £200, some are over £2000. Plus the dearer one will more likely need to be programmed if a replacement is fitted, at more cost to ourselves. 

Sorry for the borderline rant, but I just feel it encourages the couriers to care even less about your parcels. 

I'd like to add that all my regular delivery folks are brilliant though, it tends to be in the sorting depots where this stuff happens. I'm guessing low paid, night shift workers who just don't want to be there. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 4

Hermes are the worst delivery company I have ever had the misfortune to use.  However, in Holland/Germany where their HQ is situated they have at least purchased new location software that has the ability to record time, assist the driver in finding his location, etc.   I don't know if they as a company will improve their delivery success but time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

We got two hundred quids worth of perfume dropped on our doorstep by Hermes during the week - totally out of the blue. Nothing to do with us.  (I'm working on the assumption the my missus hasn't adopted my strategy on buying Bass gear! 😉)

As mentioned earlier, trying to get through to customer services is like herding cats and I would probably give up but for the fact the someone somewhere is eagerly awaiting their delivery.

I might dump it on the doorstep of the local Hermes depot, ring the bell and b*gger off!

Edited by andyonbass

On 16/01/2021 at 11:33, mcnach said:

Yeah, what next? Take up insurance at the restaurant in case they give you food poisoning? THEY should have an insurance, not us. 

I think a small claims court would agree. But and this is the big one, can you be assed to go through all the bull that goes with it?

Edited by Moldsight

• 1 month later...
Guest Gabriel1918
On 13/01/2021 at 21:47, kevin_lindsay said:

I sent a roasted maple Tele neck back to a seller for exchange.

Hermes recorded the package as being "delivered via letterbox".

This is the pic that the recipient then emailed to me!!!

IMG_20210112_154637_1.jpg

Hermes (owned by Parcelnet) eventually admitted to me that they deliberately destroyed a parcel I sent last year worth the best part of £1000 because it was 'damaged'.  I spent a month emailing their executive office trying to recover a parcel last marked 'out for delivery'.  I've never come across a more uncaring company in my life. If you read Google and other review sites there seems to be widespread theft in the Hermes/ Parcelnet network, done under cover of being 'lost' or 'damaged'.

Anyone willing to share the executive office email address? I've phoned the publically available number cou tless times now and sent about 20 emails regards claiming insurance paid for against an item that I have proof was stolen whilst in the hermes hub but weirdly I keep getting sent round the houses and asked for the same info over and over despite already providing everything you could reasonably expect regarding a claim for a 'missing'  item. I'll be damned if I'll give up though even if it has been going on for 4+ months and it being a relatively low value item.

• Like 1

Guest Gabriel1918
18 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Anyone willing to share the executive office email address? I've phoned the publically available number cou tless times now and sent about 20 emails regards claiming insurance paid for against an item that I have proof was stolen whilst in the hermes hub but weirdly I keep getting sent round the houses and asked for the same info over and over despite already providing everything you could reasonably expect regarding a claim for a 'missing'  item. I'll be damned if I'll give up though even if it has been going on for 4+ months and it being a relatively low value item.

[email protected] is the CEO.  I emailed him to inform him I'd made a police complaint of theft (it was so obvious).  No point in phoning Hermes as their phone system is designed to send you round in circles without an answer. Good luck.

BTW I'd also caution people against using Parcel2go - they don't pay out on insurance that you buy with them.  I've emailed literally dozens of times and emails are ignored.

Edited by Gabriel1918

4 hours ago, Gabriel1918 said:

[email protected] is the CEO.  I emailed him to inform him I'd made a police complaint of theft (it was so obvious).  No point in phoning Hermes as their phone system is designed to send you round in circles without an answer. Good luck.

BTW I'd also caution people against using Parcel2go - they don't pay out on insurance that you buy with them.  I've emailed literally dozens of times and emails are ignored.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Gabriel1918 said:

Connect to him on Linkedin.........he puts out posts that you can comment on. They are a travesty and shirk responsibility all the time.  Abysmal company.............good luck

• Like 1

Guest Gabriel1918

Guys, whilst we're on the subject of couriers, just thought this would be helpful for anyone in need of a cardboard postage box for shipping basses during lockdown when everything is shut (although for Hermes you'll need something made of titanium with LoJack installed).  I didn't realise you could buy them. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-LARGE-GUITAR-BASS-DREADNOUGHT-SHIPPING-BOX-DOUBLE-WALL-128x48x20cm/154366456702?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by Gabriel1918
link adjustment

13 minutes ago, Gabriel1918 said:

Guys, whilst we're on the subject of couriers, just thought this would be helpful for anyone in need of a cardboard postage box for shipping basses during lockdown when everything is shut (although for Hermes you'll need something made of titanium with LoJack installed).  I didn't realise you could buy them. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-LARGE-GUITAR-BASS-DREADNOUGHT-SHIPPING-BOX-DOUBLE-WALL-128x48x20cm/154366456702?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That's a lot of money, considering that you can normally get a bike box for free from your local bicycle shop (IME they are more than happy to get rid of them) and the cardboard they are made out of is considerably thicker and stronger than the typical guitar packing box.