Why become a member? ×

3D printing a headstock badge?

Maude

I'll put this question here as it's predominantly about 3D printing, but it is for a bass, and I know a fair few don't venture into Off Topic.

I'm currently giving an old Hofner a little make over. They had a badge on the headstock and mine is missing. I've had a search on the Internet but cannot find one anywhere. 

I know nothing about 3d printing and what's involved in getting something from a photo to an actual printed object, presumably it involves CAD or something, which again I know nothing about, so go easy on me. 

What is the possibility of getting this done, rough idea of costs involved, and does anyone on here do it, or know someone who does? 

This is the badge and thanks in advance for any help. 

6U1qXgB.jpg

iyEHshy.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

... thanks in advance for any help. 

I do 3D printing, and I have Hofners, so I might be able to come up with something. Give me a couple of days to see what kind of 3D file I can come up with...

[Terminator] 'I'll be back' [/Terminator]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just re-read your post and saw you said to give you a few days to come up with a file, so I've answered my own question. 

The badge would need to be about 45mm in length, if it's do-able. 

Thank you so much for any help as I'm totally a fish out of water with this. 

🙂👍

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

I too would be massively interested in one of these! My old '64 Artist bass is wearing a decal which looks ok from a distance, but nowhere near as the real badge.

I don't know what size the original would be but would like one slightly smaller as I've made the face plate smaller to reveal the edge of the painted headstock, as per the resto thread. 

Have you still got the three holes in yours or have they been filled in over the years? To fit the three original holes it would have to be the exact same size as the original. 

10 minutes ago, Maude said:

...The badge would need to be about 45mm in length, if it's do-able...

It's certainly 'doable', at 45mm. I'll set the machine up tomorrow, print one out and post a photo. If it's of good enough quality, would it need painting (I'd suggest white, with a gold top surface...)..?

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

I too would be massively interested in one of these! My old '64 Artist bass is wearing a decal which looks ok from a distance, but nowhere near as the real badge.

Once it's validated, it's no more bother doing two than one, so put your name down if you're happy with the what I come up with.

23 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Can anyone print me an Irish passport? 😉😉

Yes, but it won't fool anyone. :|

46 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

@Dad3353 is that bloke...shifty looking and somewhat unnerving until you get to know him...

Wotchit, matey; I've much stranger 'friends' that I can 'call upon'. ¬¬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

I don't know what size the original would be but would like one slightly smaller as I've made the face plate smaller to reveal the edge of the painted headstock, as per the resto thread. 

Have you still got the three holes in yours or have they been filled in over the years? To fit the three original holes it would have to be the exact same size as the original. 

Size (or sizes...) isn't an issue, as long as I know what they're to be..! B|

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maude said:

I think they're hiding under the decal. I'll check.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

Whilst hunting around the webternet for any badges I came across a Hofner forum where I recognised a moderators name, @Dad3353. 🙂

Happy daze..! Not very active there of late, for personal health reasons at first, and most of the action has moved over to that Face-thingy. Good times, and some fine friends found through there, though. Happy daze..! :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's certainly 'doable', at 45mm. I'll set the machine up tomorrow, print one out and post a photo. If it's of good enough quality, would it need painting (I'd suggest white, with a gold top surface...)..?

You Sir, are an absolute legend. Thank you. 

Yes I'd paint it, and you're bang on with the colour scheme. 

The bass is cream with pearl copper scratchplate and headstock plate, a lot of the chrome on the hardware has worn away to reveal the brass underneath, which I've polished up.

I'd possibly even paint the badge the same cream as the body and headstock and then the pick out the lettering in gold so as to match perfectly.

It's the little details............. 

.......... that make me a dull lad. 😄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Maude said:

Have you still got the three holes in yours or have they been filled in over the years?  

Ok, here's my headstock complete with dodgy decal. Only two of the three holes are properly visible (I've labelled them A and B), I think the third may have had the pin broken off in it. Holes A and B are exactly 20mm apart.

PSX_20210113_214051.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Ok, here's my headstock complete with dodgy decal. Only two of the three holes are properly visible (I've labelled them A and B), I think the third may have had the pin broken off in it. Holes A and B are exactly 20mm apart.

PSX_20210113_214051.jpg

Is that a black plate, or something else? I've been trying to work out what they fitted. 

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

... Holes A and B are exactly 20mm apart.

PSX_20210113_214051.jpg

Is that centre to centre..? The file I have has 21.5, centre to centre. Measure from the right side of the 'A' hole (sorry..! :$ ) to the right side of the 'B' hole. I'll adjust to what you come up with...

14 minutes ago, Maude said:

Is that a black plate, or something else?...

'...The fingerboard is bound, and a black/white plastic laminate is used to face up the headstock. The plastic raised Hofner logo is the same as fitted to post 1964 500/1 (Violin) Basses...'

• Thanks 1