Why become a member? ×

Crossover confusion

Newfoundfreedom

13 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah I'm using the subs as stands for the tops. I will never be running more than 2 subs or two tops so running any more won't be a problem. I know this is the absolute limit of what this little PA can do, but it should do the job for anything we need it for (small pubs etc, if and when we can ever get out gigging again) it was more about filling out the sound and adding a bit more bottom end, which it seems to do perfectly well with the current set-up. I know it's not ideal, but it will suffice on a very tight (none existent) budget for a bunch of weekend warriors. 

Thanks for taking the time to advise. 👍

BFM is correct about 15 tops, unless they are crossed over much lower than most commercial cabs are capable of, there will be severe beaming.

However you are where you are. Can I ask you to list all of your equipment  so we can see if here is another way to use what you have?

19 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks. I can do this much easier just by running the tops daisy chained through one channel and EQ'd high, then running the subs daisy chained through another channel EQ'd low, which is how I'm currently running it, but I was advised on another thread that this wasn't the best way to do it and I should be using a crossover. But it sounds great to my ear, and given the cost I would have to shell out on new gear, just to run the subs I think the best option is probably just to stick with it for now. 

Sometimes we just have to make the best of what we have to hand, I think this is the best solution for the moment. One day, perhaps once gigging starts again, you might want to revisit this but it is sensible in the meantime to just try and squeeze as much as possible out of what you have.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Sometimes we just have to make the best of what we have to hand, I think this is the best solution for the moment. One day, perhaps once gigging starts again, you might want to revisit this but it is sensible in the meantime to just try and squeeze as much as possible out of what you have.

Thanks. That's exactly my way of thinking.

A lot of people on here come at things from a professional musicians angle ( rightly so, and with the best of intentions) but most of them have forgotten, or maybe even never knew how to make do as a struggling musician with pretty much zero funds. 

I grew up listening to rock and punk bands that cobbled together any old sh#t just to get out and play, and they were all the better for it, and to be fair, sounded bloody good (at least to my ear).

I have absolutely no doubt that the information I've been given on here is absolutely spot on, and I genuinely thank everyone for their advice. 

But nevertheless, I will make do with what I have, because that's the only choice I've got. Replacing it is simply not an option. 

• Like 2