Why become a member? ×

Active PJs in cream/ivory recommendations

theheed

Hi everyone

I'm looking to replace/upgrade the pickups in my 1981 Ibanez Roadster RS940 Fretless and I'm finding the choice of cream/ivory pickups out there pretty sparse (regardless of the current COVID -related supply problems).

Currently, the bass has the pickups from when I bought it, second-hand for about £90 from Allbang & Strummit on Earlham Street (now there's a blast from the past!) in London in about 1988.

The previous owner had already replaced the original ivory bridge pickup with a black EMG, which sounded great. But now its crackly electronics need a bit of TLC so I figured I would improve the sound and look (I've lived with the quirky one-black one-white combination for long enough) with some new cream/ivory, active, exposed-pole PJs, as the original Ibanez Super 4 PJ seem impossible to find.

But the choice out there seems to be EMG with no exposed poles, or DiMarzio, which aren't active. Lightning rods are black only.  And Lindy Fralin are a bit on the pricy side.

I'm starting to thing that I may have to compromise on the exposed poles and go with Ivory EMG PJs. (Rather than PJ-X which I've heard don't have the slightly more low-fi growl.)

Anybody know of any other options?

Cheers

Andy

Must admit, that had crossed my mind. But I thought it might affect the warranty on new pickups, by taking them out of the original casing/cover.

If nothing else seems like an option, that could be a good solution.

Thanks for the reply!

6 hours ago, theheed said:

Must admit, that had crossed my mind. But I thought it might affect the warranty on new pickups, by taking them out of the original casing/cover.

If nothing else seems like an option, that could be a good solution.

Thanks for the reply!

They normally just drop into the covers. They're not fixed. So if you do have an issue, just put them back in the originals and keep schtum when returning them

20 hours ago, theheed said:

But the choice out there seems to be EMG with no exposed poles, or DiMarzio, which aren't active.

The stock pickups on the RS924 appear to be DiMarzio's. They use the same hex screw pole pieces, and to my knowledge no other manufacturer uses cream covers. I have owned an RS924 for over 10 years, but recently sold it because I prefer lighter basses and thinner necks these days. 

If your Roadster still has its stock electronics, active pickups aren't a requirement. EMG's will work because they have their own built-in preamp which boosts their output level to the same level as that of a passive pickup. If you originally intended to restore it as close to stock as possible, you could look at the DiMarzio's and maybe cleaning or replacing some pots - a likely culprit for the crackle you describe. 

Ahh...I thought they looked like DiMarzio. As far as I know (I've never taken the back plate off) the electronics are stock. Unless whoever put the EMG on changed something.

I'd like to get it as close to original look as possible so a set of creme DP126 would look great. And they seem to be available too.

If the pickups don't need to be active, all the better.

Now to find suitable machine heads, as the previous owner replace the 'Hercules' with Schallers.

Then knobs. Although I doubt the original Ibanez ones are still around.

As for 3d printing, I wouldn't know where to start!

Big thanks everyone on your help with this!

Edited by theheed

49 minutes ago, theheed said:

Then knobs. Although I doubt the original Ibanez ones are still around.

There's a few companies out there that replicate the original Sure Grip knobs, and the smaller EQ knobs too.

Ibanez themselves still use (!) the Sure Grip III, which was on the Musician and Roadster ranges from 1982-1983. These are also sold separately for roughly €7,50-€8,00 a piece. They're not the period correct model for the RS924, but close. Thomann stocks them, and the UK distributor for Ibanez (Headstock distribution?) may also be helpful. Meinl shop in Germany appears to be the official parts supplier for Ibanez parts in Germany, but their site says they're not allowed to ship to the UK.