Why become a member? ×

Tube pre power requirements...

Walker

I've just discovered I have been feeding a tube pre pedal (Blackbird) that wants 12v 1500mA only 12v 200mA. I corrected it using their supplied wall wart, but can't hear any difference. Should I expect that?

Cheers

Edited by Walker

12 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Probably not. You may find that if using a lot of gain, which means the tube requires more juice, the 200ma supply would not be beefy enough. Apart from that, it shouldn't make much difference.

Thanks very much, that makes sense, I'll try a more gainy setting to see what happens. Cheers.

I've got no way of recording atm, but I own an Ampeg Heritage B-15 and managed to dial in my go-to B-15 tone in a matter of seconds! The 'Blue' channel sounds fat as hell with my Jazz/flatwounds, with just enough gain to push into thickness without too much breakup. I don't use overdriven bass tones, so I can't really comment on the 'red' channel with bass, but it sounds incredible on my guitar! They have a no-questions-asked return policy, so worth trying it out.

I use this with a TwoNotes CABM+ .