Why become a member? ×

Fender Boxer Range re-released 2021 - The Jazz Bass Special !

Dood

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 19:01, karlfer said:

Gullible & stupid person alert.

DSCF4152 (2).JPG

If you're happy with it.... You definitely aren't gullible or stupid. I'm a fan of the PJ pickup arrangement, but this sounds like it's got an even better tonal pallette.

Jazz dimension neck on a P shaped body is another plus - I like my Jazz basses (1x early Roadworn, 1x MIJ fretless) - but as I'm doing more practicing on the sofa at home, as opposed to gigging.... The lower back end of the J shaped body is getting on my nerves a bit....

Last of all - that colour looks absolutely awesome :) :) :) belated happy NBD mate

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I no P bass expert so went to Bass Direct I picked my self up a red one of these yestarday, after trying several guitars over about 3 hrs.

As I was trading in I could get what I wanted and I eventually got down to two P style guitars. The Boxer and a  MARUSZCZYK. Both sounded beautiful and hit the spot to my ears. In some other ways they were quite different. Note: The boxer feels as the name suggests is more of a bruiser, the MARUSZCZYK a bit more classy but was more gentle.

I went for the Boxer as it is an exceptional sounding bass, has wider range of tones and it was RED! 😂  👍

I'm liking it this morning even more than when I picked it out....very happy!

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 9

On 13/01/2021 at 08:45, NancyJohnson said:

Thing is, people are just too gullible and easily suckered in.  They're not buying a piece of history.

FB_IMG_1497423118693.jpg

You could say this about any number of brands. The iPhone being an excellent example. Same basic design each time yet massively popular because it does what it was made to do and set the benchmark for all that followed. If you buy one you know what your getting and if you change your mind you can easily sell it on as it holds its value on the used market.

Love the look of the boxer btw.

Edited by tegs07

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

You could say this about any number of brands. The iPhone being an excellent example. Same basic design each time yet massively popular because it does what it was made to do and set the benchmark for all that followed. If you buy one you know what your getting and if you change your mind you can easily sell it on as it holds its value on the used market.

Love the look of the boxer btw.

I just don't get all this <insert year> reissue or Signature-range stuff.  I've played a handful of vintage instruments and to be honest they were nothing to write home about, age aside, I'd say they were probably worse than a new instrument.  Ponky. 

People seem too enamoured with colour/wood choices in the belief that this makes for a better instrument.  Once it's painted up, nobody would be able to tell whether something is mahogany/ash/basswood.  

It's all s big con, I tell ya!  😄

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I just don't get all this <insert year> reissue or Signature-range stuff.  I've played a handful of vintage instruments and to be honest they were nothing to write home about, age aside, I'd say they were probably worse than a new instrument.  Ponky. 

People seem too enamoured with colour/wood choices in the belief that this makes for a better instrument.  Once it's painted up, nobody would be able to tell whether something is mahogany/ash/basswood.  

It's all s big con, I tell ya!  😄

Your welcome to your opinion. I’ve not played a bad MIJ Fender yet and don’t see them as being particularly outrageous in terms of price. The signature models keep their value and from reviews I have read the Duff McKagan and Nate Mendel in particular are excellent. Though both are MIM.

Edited by tegs07

I can confirm that the MIJ Fender Boxer is a fantastic bass. Great quality, great looks and great sounds. I only sold mine as I am not a Jazz neck guy. I always think I will eventually get used to it but that somehow never seems to happen :-( 

4 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Your welcome to your opinion. I’ve not played a bad MIJ Fender yet and don’t see them as being particularly outrageous in terms of price. The signature models keep their value and from reviews I have read the Duff McKagan and Nate Mendel in particular are excellent. Though both are MIM.

Thank you for allowing me an opinion, otherwise I'd just be a sheep and follow the herd.

I note however, that you've 'not played a bad MIJ Fender', although you're not supporting that claim by giving comparison to anything else (for instance, a truly terrible MIJ may still be a country mile better than some of the kit I started out on).

Interestingly, you've not made any comment as to saying how these basses sound (*subjective), only mentioning initial pricing an the maintaining of their value in the secondhand market.  I'm sure the Duff and Nate models are decent enough, but just because someone's review opinion of something is 'excellent' doesn't make it a wonderful thing.

53 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Thank you for allowing me an opinion, otherwise I'd just be a sheep and follow the herd.

I note however, that you've 'not played a bad MIJ Fender', although you're not supporting that claim by giving comparison to anything else (for instance, a truly terrible MIJ may still be a country mile better than some of the kit I started out on).

Interestingly, you've not made any comment as to saying how these basses sound (*subjective), only mentioning initial pricing an the maintaining of their value in the secondhand market.  I'm sure the Duff and Nate models are decent enough, but just because someone's review opinion of something is 'excellent' doesn't make it a wonderful thing.

Well I have an aerodyne and geddy lee both MIJ both Fender. The reviews speak for themselves. I don’t need to defend what basses I choose nor would I discourage anyone else from buying whatever brand they like be it Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez or whatever.

You seem to have a bit of a bee on your bonnet about sheep and Fender. Fine they are not your cup of tea but I don’t get the hostility. 

Edit: On the resale this matters to me as I like to buy knackered parts (bodies, necks. Pickups etc) and strip them down, get them back working as Bitsa’s or complete basses. Some I keep, some I sell. Sometimes I get a small profit but nothing to justify the work that goes into them. I have tried this with other brands namely Schecter and Warmouth but they were hard to sell on even at a loss. Hence I look out for Fender, particularly the early MIJ ones as I have found them to be nicely put together with quality materials that have already lasted 30 years or more before I get hold of them.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Well I have an aerodyne and geddy lee both MIJ both Fender. The reviews speak for themselves. I don’t need to defend what basses I choose nor would I discourage anyone else from buying whatever brand they like be it Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez or whatever.

You seem to have a bit of a bee on your bonnet about sheep and Fender. Fine they are not your cup of tea but I don’t get the hostility. 

I've owned an Aerodyne Jazz and a Geddy Lee, no particular issues with them, but just not for me.  I also ran a truly terrible 1979 Precision for about ten years, so you could say I've at least worn the t-shirt. 

I can't best answer why I repeatedly went back to Fender, I'd say price was the overriding factor; the belief that you're getting a lot for your £££ I suppose.  I'm uninterested in reviews, mark that down as a personalty trait.  The Geddy was the last one, nice enough but a bit meh, I think I paid £650 for that.  I suppose I've never been a fan of playing what everyone else is playing either (there were two Flea basses at one gig I did), nor am I enamoured with the constant reissuing/repetitive manufacture of the handful of core models that Fender (etc.) make.

I'm lucky enough to have a half dozen basses, four of which are off makers who were/are known for smallish production numbers along with a couple of more mainstream models.  There's no bee in the bonnet thing going on; I've just reached a point where I've come to realise that people are fiercely defensive of their kit; 'My Epiphone/Squier is better than any Gibson/Fender I've played,' while at the same time they're putting Gibson trussrod covers on these or sanding off the Squier transfer for a Fender decal.

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

There's no bee in the bonnet thing going on; I

Fair enough just seems odd to hop on a thread where people are happily talking about basses they have just bought and then rain on their parade.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

There's no bee in the bonnet thing going on; I've just reached a point where I've come to realise that people are fiercely defensive of their kit; 'My Epiphone/Squier is better than any Gibson/Fender I've played,' while at the same time they're putting Gibson trussrod covers on these or sanding off the Squier transfer for a Fender decal.

I was going to jokingly suggest people shouldn't get you started on Epiphone/Gibson but you've saved me the bother 🤣

• Haha 1