Why become a member? ×

Adding a new Cab

Guest BassAdder27

At present my rig is the Ashdown RM800 EVO II and a single Ampeg PF115LF 8ohm 400w cab 

Now in the future if I need more sound spread without PA support should I either

a) Add a second matching Ampeg 

b) Add an Ashdown ABM115 cab

c) Use a new 4x10 Ashdown cab as a single use cab 

I’ve not mentioned 210 cabs with the 115 but that’s an option too

What do folk think ?

Or do nothing use the PF115LF and find PA support when needed ?? 

On 12/01/2021 at 11:38, BassAdder27 said:

Yeah I guess it’s add to what I like or go for a cab that would be standalone but heavier to move etc etc 

I must admit the Ampeg cab is a full warm sound yet still punchy which i like 

A 4x10 would be lighter than two of the 1x15s. Add to that the 4x10 might open the door to new delights as yet unknown. :D

I think hauling a large 410 cab about is a step in the wrong direction 

Two lighter cabs is more practical I think and you can choose to gig one or both depending on venue etc 

Granted a 410 would sound great but I think the future is smaller and lighter cabs 

On 12/01/2021 at 15:01, BassAdder27 said:

At present my rig is the Ashdown RM800 EVO II and a single Ampeg PF115LF 8ohm 400w cab

IME if you like the sound of an amp through a cab and you want more, just get a second cab, the same as the first. Then again, I briefly had an Ampeg 115 and an Ampeg 210. I discovered it wasn't my sound, but the band liked it.

I think that cab would explode if you tried to put 400 watts into it. You'd max it out nearer 200 watts. IMO 1 better cab would get you a bigger sound than 2 of these.  I'd suggest @FinnDave has a Barefaced Super Twin 212 for sale, or even a single 112 Super Compact would bring another level of sound reproduction.

• Thanks 1

Well the Ampeg is rated to 400W and I can’t see me running it anywhere near its limit as being an 8ohm cab I would be running the RM800 flat out !!

Two together I could then get full amp output but unlikely I would need 800W 

Might just look to add a second PF115LF 

31 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

That's not how it works. How it does work is that by adding the second cab identical cab stacked on top of the first, with no changes to any of the amp settings, the output will go up by 6dB. That gives the same result as would quadrupling the power into the one cab, if it could take it.

I’m sure that’s correct and two matching cabs equalling 4ohms will give me rated amp output and that would be very loud 🤟

Edited by BassAdder27

At full power most amps don't put out twice the power into a halved impedance load due to power rail sag, but unless you've got a particularly anemic amp you'd seldom if ever push it at full power. At more reasonable levels the 6dB figure is spot on. The reason you get 6dB is because the amp puts out the same voltage into two speakers as it does into one. That results in doubling the system cone displacement, which gives 6dB additional output.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

19 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

The 6dB number is very dependent on how much power the amp can put out at 4 ohm vs 8 ohm, and of course the cabs must handle it all cleanly.

These days of class D amps it's often a lot less than double the power at 4 ohms.

Not only that, but you don't even get the theoretical 6dB at all frequencies.