Why become a member? ×

Fender 75th Anniversary Precision Basses

Eldon Tyrell

Did some googling, looking for the 70th anniversary P bass and found two Fender 75th anniversary P basses on the CME website. The first one is the "Fender 75th Anniversary Commemorative Precision Bass 2-Color Bourbon Burst" and the second one the "Fender 75th Anniversary Precision Bass Diamond Anniversary". Looking at the prices, I guess the first one is MIA and the second one MIM. You can find the specs here:

371531243_Fender75thAnniversaryCommemorativePrecisionBass2-ColorBourbonBurst.thumb.jpg.337c2e00c0ca96174b8629e66b61f8f5.jpg

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/fender-75th-anniversary-commemorative-precision-bass-1158098

964428700_Fender75thAnniversaryPrecisionBassDiamondAnniversary.thumb.jpg.678f9add9848e029b4400d3b9a2dc9c7.jpg

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/fender-75th-anniversary-precision-bass-diamond-anniversary-1158094

GG also lists them now:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/fender/fsr-and-limited-editions/?Ordering=2&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+Fenders+Released!&utm_campaign=EMAIL_FENDER_2021_01_12

I agree, I also expected something better for the 70th/75th anniversary. Both look a bit meh. Maybe there will be more? Will check out Fenders virtual booth at the virtual Winter Namm next week. 

10 minutes ago, gareth said:

Yes, for the 70th anniversary I also expected them to release something that looks more like a 51 (but with some modern elements). Well, maybe that will be released later in the year. The two new basses officially celebrate Fender's 75th anniversary. However, the P bass is also turning 70, so they may release (a) model(s) to celebrate that too. Maybe later in the year. I think last year's 60th anniversary Jazz basses (MIA and MIM) also got released in July or August. So, let's see. 

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the poor copywriter in their marketing department who has to repeatedly concoct something other than 'It's another Precision' every time one of these is released.

The thing is, I get that it's Fender and they can't stray too far from the formula, but why do come up with variants that are either hideous or dull?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Don’t know what model this is. Custom shop or something. I want this.

I corrected my earlier comment worries.

A20813D1-37DE-4DCE-BE3B-DA5E4E72FFD2.jpeg

Now we are talking. Flamed maple top and binding. Definitely more like an anniversary model. Would like that one in red, of course 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Now we are talking. Flamed maple top and binding. Definitely more like an anniversary model. Would like that one in red, of course 😎

Think this is some custom shop doofer - not necessarily an anniversary model.

I really want to slap Fender’s marketing and design team at times.

Anyhow. I’d get my mate Rog to make me a p/j of the above. Which I already sort of have. 

So I don’t want it.

Just now, FDC484950 said:

Is it just me or does that anniversary bass with the silver sparkle body and headstock look totally out of place with the pale, plain maple board?

Yes - it’s pretty much my golden rule. Maple fingerboards shouldn’t wear matching body colour headstocks.

Looks turd.

Used to own this.....

image.thumb.png.5b6e98cd4b8463cdf6ab6a894268c8ce.png

Fender 40th Anniversary Precision. Built like a tank, made my Wal feel flimsy. Without doubt the most rock solid bass I've ever played, beautifully engineered, the neck was extraordinary (there's nought better than an unmarked ebony neck after all). Seemed a nod to the future at the time, Fender don't seem to have got much further since.....?

• Like 1