Why become a member? ×

The bridge

straycat_88

I am having a problem with the Bridge collapsing. The store said that the feet are not perfectly fitting to the body. Should I get a new bridge? Also it seems when I try to tune he G string, I’m afraid of it getting too tight when I get close to being in tune. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance 

I had this issue previously with a new bridge. It means you need to get the bridge fitted to the bass front more closely. You could try this yourself with fine sandpaper if you’re brave. There are several YouTube videos on the topic.

The strings you are fitting might be higher tension if you’re fitting a new set. 

Good luck 

Edited by MJJS

As @MJJS suggests, you could try this yourself. Put a sheet of sandpaper over the position of the feet and rub each foot over where it should sit. I'd never tried this myself LOL but have heard it mentioned on luthier threads. A string shouldn't get too tight when it's tuned. Drop some graphite dust from a pencil into the groove on the bridge so that the string can move more freely in the slot, and hold the tip of the bridge when you tighten with the tuner, this might help.

Often the top of the bridge will tip forward a bit when a new set of strings is fitted and tightened. The trick is to get a paperback book between the D and A strings and give the bridge a whack. Seems a bit harsh but it works well. And as Pete says, rub a pencil in the grooves to give a bit of slip. I’ve got a 6B for that very purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly this issue recently when swapping from silver slaps (for which my bridge had been set up) to EP slaps.

I tried everything I could think of, and asked for help from all sorts of people.  I think it is down to the profile of the feet on the top. Also apply some pencil graphite around where the string notches on the bridge to lubricate the strings when you're tuning, so that they're not tending to pull the bridge forwards towards the nut.

In the end, for me at least, it required a new bridge, without adjusters.  It's really solid now and I don't miss the adjusters one bit.