Why become a member? ×

P-bass; new or vintage?

PsyBean

3 hours ago, ped said:

Also remember that Leo Fender only really got it right the third time, by then we was working at G&L 🤗

Technically the third time was 1960+ Fenders.

1st 1952-1956 design, 2nd 1957- 1959 design (split pup and maple neck) then 3rd was the good old Alder body with contours, Rosewood fingerboard, passive split pickup, saddle bridge design that’s been loved for decades. So you’re statement is correct, just not as you intended it 😜

By G&L he was senile and ready for retirement..... *runs and hides*

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Technically the third time was 1960+ Fenders.

1st 1952-1956 design, 2nd 1957- 1959 design (split pup and maple neck) then 3rd was the good old Alder body with contours, Rosewood fingerboard, passive split pickup, saddle bridge design that’s been loved for decades. So you’re statement is correct, just not as you intended it 😜

By G&L he was senile and ready for retirement..... *runs and hides*

I remember Leo telling me how much he hated the 1960s era designs, saying he made them 'for a laugh'

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think the S1 was up to 2006. The high mass bridges came in in 2008 and have been there ever since so a small gap between the two. 

I had a 1996 USA for many years as my main bass. Didn't have the S1 switching, but a chunky neck and hardware and bridge somewhere between hi-mass and BBOT. Good bass.

• Thanks 1

Build your own/put one together and you’ll get exactly what you want. I build them and also have 2 of @Beedster builds along with many, many other P basses 😂

If you want a decent P bass today that is excellent value and sounds and plays like a P Bass should, buy the Nate Mendel in the classifieds. I’ve had a few, still have one and they are exceptionally good. If you don’t like it, you’ll not lose money on them either. 

Edited by walshy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2021 at 12:00, NancyJohnson said:

Just from a curiousity perspective, what's the decision-making force at work here?

I'd side with @wateroftyne here, there's good ones and bad ones, so choose wisely and play a few before you pull the trigger.

Thanks all for some really good advice, the build your own is an attractive proposition, but probably for the future. My main driver is for recording work (precious little live work at the mo) and to see what I'm missing! I'm currently using Musicmans and a Jazz but want to dip into the fabled P-bass tone, not necessarily as my primary, go-to bass but to add the sound to my armoury. Who knows, I may get the bug but will take something to knock my USA Sterling off it's perch. Budget not really an issue providing I don't lumber myself with a dud so in this climate (buying blind), I agree with the advice that vintage is probs not the right option. @Lozz196 I saw the MIJs on Bass Direct and they might just fit the bill. Hmm, choices! 

5 minutes ago, PsyBean said:

Thanks all for some really good advice, the build your own is an attractive proposition, but probably for the future. My main driver is for recording work (precious little live work at the mo) and to see what I'm missing! I'm currently using Musicmans and a Jazz but want to dip into the fabled P-bass tone, not necessarily as my primary, go-to bass but to add the sound to my armoury. Who knows, I may get the bug but will take something to knock my USA Sterling off it's perch. Budget not really an issue providing I don't lumber myself with a dud so in this climate (buying blind), I agree with the advice that vintage is probs not the right option. @Lozz196 I saw the MIJs on Bass Direct and they might just fit the bill. Hmm, choices! 

Given what you’ve said I’d go MIJ, price:quality ratio is generally good and made better still by the overall consistency of quality by comparison with MIA and MIM (although the latter are catching up by all accounts). The closest instruments to 60s Precisions I’ve played have been 80s/90s MIJ, often better instruments than US Custom Shop (probably some cognitive dissonance in the mix however) :) 

• Thanks 1

I’m very lucky to have two pre-CBS Precisions, which have solved my old-school P gas pretty much completely. This is my 64, running DI through my Noble:

For a more modern P sound, my Dingwall Super P5, my Sadowsky NYC P/J and my recently acquired Yamaha TRB-5P all sound absolutely phenomenal. The first two have the Sadowsky pre, the Yamaha has a John East. The BB435 I sold recently also sounded incredible. 

Edited by therealting
  • Like 2

To be honest, I own an Aria Primary bass from 1978 that from a playability prespective is a country mile nicer that either of the Precisions I've owned.  Again, I'll insert a caveat here in that tone it subjective and the same bass can sound differently from player to player, but it's a bit of a bashed up bit of kit, Delano pickup.  It suits me if I need something that is more traditiobal in tone/looks.

20190406_102855.thumb.jpg.a6857e8db5a8c00172071dcd5a3419c3.jpg20190516_194721.thumb.jpg.a92c4c22627e679a7559b373c5fe06cb.jpg

• Like 2

So I absolutely love a P bass, this is the current crop with another incoming from @Beedster Some vintage ones (65 and 66 ) some bitsa, some custom builds and a couple of Lakland Bob Glaubs. I love them all! I mainly gig the Black Lakland and the 66 CAR but they all have their own personality.

Is 11 or 12 too many?  Thoughts of thinning the herd chill my blood 😂

5F0FC117-2ABB-463E-AD5F-FE9DF41ACA19.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, therealting said:

I’m very lucky to have two pre-CBS Precisions, which have solved my old-school P gas pretty much completely. This is my 64, running DI through my Noble:

For a more modern P sound, my Dingwall Super P5, my Sadowsky NYC P/J and my recently acquired Yamaha TRB-5P all sound absolutely phenomenal. The first two have the Sadowsky pre, the Yamaha has a John East. The BB435 I sold recently also sounded incredible. 

you are proper hiding in the shadows there... and then meantion a load of other lovely things ...
:useless:

• Haha 2