Why become a member? ×

'Pistol'. A Danny Boyle series.

Maude

I've just heard that Danny Boyle is making a six part TV series based on Steve Jones' memoirs. 

I'm not not sure how I feel about it to be sure. 

I love the Sex Pistols and really hope it doesn't make a mockery of them. Although to be fair they did a fair job of that themselves. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Maude said:

My immediate reactions in chronological order were:

1. Why now?
  2. Cui bono?
  3. A creeping sense of mortality
  4. A desire for a nice cup of tea
  5. The view that such revelations as might be presented will not match those to be found in Mr Frank Harris's My Life and Loves
Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Maude said:

I've just heard that Danny Boyle is making a six part TV series based on Steve Jones' memoirs. 

I love the Sex Pistols and really hope it doesn't make a mockery of them. Although to be fair they did a fair job of that themselves. 

Given the cultural impact of punk I'm surprised its not been done sooner. 

I'm quite open minded about it to be honest. 

Wonder who's going to okay Bill Grundy? 

I think they should get Vic Reeves in for that.  😂

• Like 1

Could be interesting seeing as Danny Boyle seems to be a fan and has an enthusiastic opinion of the band. There's much humour to be mined in the Pistols' story and if it's done in roughly the same spirit as the Sky Arts Urban Myths episode which featured the Bill Grundy incident then it might be worth a viewing. 

42 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I just read about that, and given Sid & Nancy, have similar misgivings. 

Not sure how historically accurate it was, but I thought “Sid & Nancy” was a fantastically good and powerful film.

The Danny Boyle TV series should be good - Steve Jones always struck me as more of a level-headed musician than many of the original punks, and a very talented rhythm guitarist.   As someone who started his bass career in a gigging punk band in 1977, I’ll be watching with interest......

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Given the cultural impact of punk I'm surprised its not been done sooner. 

I'm quite open minded about it to be honest. 

Wonder who's going to okay Bill Grundy? 

I think they should get Vic Reeves in for that.  😂

I'm happy to keep an open mind, and hopefully Danny Boyle will do the story justice as he has the passion. 

The other thing is that everyone involved in The Sex Pistols has a different account of what happened and who did what. Mainly McClaren and Lydon's one upmanship though to be fair. I haven't read Jones' book 'Lonely Boy', which this is based on so maybe a new angle for me. 

Vic Reeves as Grundy would be inspired casting, "Go on, say another rude word". "Uvavu!" 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Little Dragon said:

Having read the book, quite a large part of it may not be directly Pistols related.

The article I read, when naming who's playing who only mentioned Steve Jones and Jordan, as if her role was a big one (or two....... Sorry). 

13 minutes ago, Maude said:

The article I read, when naming who's playing who only mentioned Steve Jones and Jordan, as if her role was a big one (or two....... Sorry). 

Jordan was quite heavily involved... 

Used to see her a lot as she was also very involved with early Adam & The Ants in '77 and' 78.. She was a really fearsome character! 

I'm also keen to know who's going to be playing Siouxsie..? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Used to see her a lot as she was also very involved with early Adam & The Ants in '77 and' 78.. She was a really fearsome character! 

Our drummers, who's from Bromley, older brother used to hang around with them all apparently. 

I've read the book....... and I think it has the potential for a really great series. Plenty of strands in there.

The following topics if covered thoughtfully would work really well: the punk scene, McLaren, the Pistols  explosion/implosion, the pistols creative process , an insight into the theft culture/lifestyle which Jones inhabited..... 

But most of all there is the titular 'lonely boy' aspect. Jones had (extremely) brief sexual encounters in massive quantity, but could never form a relationship with a woman. .And the childhood situations which probably led to that. That came across as the underlying thing in the book in my eyes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, silverfoxnik said:

Having worked on a few of the videos at the time - inc Adam and the Ants, Madness, human League, etc I am soooo looking forward to this...............

• Like 2

• 7 months later...