Why become a member? ×

Charvel Basses 2021...

jimmy23cricket

6 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

They look OK, but I think, and it is just my opinion now I’ve seen the specs of both, the Jackson CBXM IV is a better spec’d, and better looking bass. 

DC00046E-C02F-4142-ABBB-F7B81854E9D2.jpeg

I don’t know if I “met” a bad batch - but couldn’t believe how ropey the finishing was on the neck of these...felt unfinished (not as in “without finish” as in ‘someone’s not finished sanding that...’)

There was a 4 & 5 string which felt the same.

Although...the pickguard looks decent - the question is, would that Jackson pickguard fit on the charvel...

Edit - Ah, 21 frets vs 20. Always makes more sense to me...

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Looks like they licensed the headstock shape, assume Charvel are owned by Fender (or by whoever owns Fender)? Made in Mexico so I guess if you joined the dots...

Quite like the look of this:

highlight_char_2965079518_overview.jpg

Yeah, that has a nice Alleva Coppolo/Olinto (Mas Hino) vibe about it. Would it work E-C (what a great excuse I’ve just invented).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I don’t know if I “met” a bad batch - but couldn’t believe how ropey the finishing was on the neck of these...felt unfinished (not as in “without finish” as in ‘someone’s not finished sanding that...’)

There was a 4 & 5 string which felt the same.

Although...the pickguard looks decent - the question is, would that Jackson pickguard fit on the charvel...

Edit - Ah, 21 frets vs 20. Always makes more sense to me...

I’ll be honest, I haven’t played one but I did hear the same thing as you just said about the feel of the necks, from a friend who had played one. It stopped me dropping the money on one. When I heard about the Charvel basses I did get a little excited as I know the guitars in this range, are amazing. Unfortunately, the colours aren’t to my taste, and I’d prefer a 21 fret, which as you say, just makes more sense. A pick guard would have been nice, as well. The Charvel necks do look lovely though. 

3 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t played one but I did hear the same thing as you just said about the feel of the necks, from a friend who had played one. It stopped me dropping the money on one. When I heard about the Charvel basses I did get a little excited as I know the guitars in this range, are amazing. Unfortunately, the colours aren’t to my taste, and I’d prefer a 21 fret, which as you say, just makes more sense. A pick guard would have been nice, as well. The Charvel necks do look lovely though. 

Just spotted the Charvel is reverse P as well. Noice.

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Looks like they licensed the headstock shape, assume Charvel are owned by Fender (or by whoever owns Fender)? Made in Mexico so I guess if you joined the dots...

Quite like the look of this:

highlight_char_2965079518_overview.jpg

Yup, Fender acquired Charvel in 2002!