Jump to content
jimmy23cricket

Charvel Basses 2021...

Recommended Posts

They look OK, but I think, and it is just my opinion now I’ve seen the specs of both, the Jackson CBXM IV is a better spec’d, and better looking bass. 

DC00046E-C02F-4142-ABBB-F7B81854E9D2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

They look OK, but I think, and it is just my opinion now I’ve seen the specs of both, the Jackson CBXM IV is a better spec’d, and better looking bass. 

DC00046E-C02F-4142-ABBB-F7B81854E9D2.jpeg

I don’t know if I “met” a bad batch - but couldn’t believe how ropey the finishing was on the neck of these...felt unfinished (not as in “without finish” as in ‘someone’s not finished sanding that...’)

There was a 4 & 5 string which felt the same.

Although...the pickguard looks decent - the question is, would that Jackson pickguard fit on the charvel...

Edit - Ah, 21 frets vs 20. Always makes more sense to me...

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they licensed the headstock shape, assume Charvel are owned by Fender (or by whoever owns Fender)? Made in Mexico so I guess if you joined the dots...

 

Quite like the look of this:

highlight_char_2965079518_overview.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Looks like they licensed the headstock shape, assume Charvel are owned by Fender (or by whoever owns Fender)? Made in Mexico so I guess if you joined the dots...

 

Quite like the look of this:

highlight_char_2965079518_overview.jpg

Yeah, that has a nice Alleva Coppolo/Olinto (Mas Hino) vibe about it. Would it work E-C (what a great excuse I’ve just invented).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I don’t know if I “met” a bad batch - but couldn’t believe how ropey the finishing was on the neck of these...felt unfinished (not as in “without finish” as in ‘someone’s not finished sanding that...’)

There was a 4 & 5 string which felt the same.

Although...the pickguard looks decent - the question is, would that Jackson pickguard fit on the charvel...

Edit - Ah, 21 frets vs 20. Always makes more sense to me...

I’ll be honest, I haven’t played one but I did hear the same thing as you just said about the feel of the necks, from a friend who had played one. It stopped me dropping the money on one. When I heard about the Charvel basses I did get a little excited as I know the guitars in this range, are amazing. Unfortunately, the colours aren’t to my taste, and I’d prefer a 21 fret, which as you say, just makes more sense. A pick guard would have been nice, as well. The Charvel necks do look lovely though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t played one but I did hear the same thing as you just said about the feel of the necks, from a friend who had played one. It stopped me dropping the money on one. When I heard about the Charvel basses I did get a little excited as I know the guitars in this range, are amazing. Unfortunately, the colours aren’t to my taste, and I’d prefer a 21 fret, which as you say, just makes more sense. A pick guard would have been nice, as well. The Charvel necks do look lovely though. 

Just spotted the Charvel is reverse P as well. Noice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

They look OK, but I think, and it is just my opinion now I’ve seen the specs of both, the Jackson CBXM IV is a better spec’d, and better looking bass. 

DC00046E-C02F-4142-ABBB-F7B81854E9D2.jpeg

That looks a bit "over-knobbed" if that's a thing...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Just spotted the Charvel is reverse P as well. Noice.

Do you have a link for that, please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nilebodgers said:

That looks a bit "over-knobbed" if that's a thing...

My Vigier is the same. Either that or stack them knobs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

Do you have a link for that, please? 

It’s in the OP

 

000C1D6D-55FE-4BA7-B480-E46BB3B4E673.png

Edited by AndyTravis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s in the OP

 

000C1D6D-55FE-4BA7-B480-E46BB3B4E673.png

Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of something else. Obviously, I’d seen this, hence my post 🥴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of them seem to have a fantastic sparkle finish that you can’t quite see in the stock photos on the site. There are a few “live” photos being posed and the colour looks fan bloody tastic

 

that blue with the roast maple neck is the nuts....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mattbass6 said:

Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of something else. Obviously, I’d seen this, hence my post 🥴

Haha. I’m still reeling from the Rickenjacker 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Haha. I’m still reeling from the Rickenjacker 

I’ve just seen the green one. Interesting 🥴😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Looks like they licensed the headstock shape, assume Charvel are owned by Fender (or by whoever owns Fender)? Made in Mexico so I guess if you joined the dots...

 

Quite like the look of this:

highlight_char_2965079518_overview.jpg

Yup, Fender acquired Charvel in 2002!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...