Why become a member? ×

Charvel Basses!

Thunderpaws

Interesting .... and on the scale of Old School to Ultra Modern how would you describe the sound?  Played one briefly - fantastic neck, but couldn't really assess the tone etc (as it was a dreadful amp/combo). 

If it would do a bit of old school P on the neck pickup it'd be a winner (for me that is!) 

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I remember that YouTube demo of an early one, and had been wondering if they had sorted out the preamp and shielding – really pleased to hear it's all good now :)

I wish the issue had been addressed.

I really wanted this one.

ajcsqybjs8uhcb6ej5u1-1.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

5 hours ago, Cato said:

Pretty sure these are made in Fender's Mexican factory.

It's actually a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the nearest equivalent Fender branded active PJ bass from the same facility.

Yes, it is cheaper than the Precision Deluxe and it sounds a tad more "hot" . The body shape seems exactly like a Precision Bass.

I have a 5 string:IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.513010878cd99d27d37a05a7c8053e9d.jpeg

Mine was a display model from Andertons, which was on a deal.  I've had it for a month and a half now.

Mine had no shielding/noise issues like 'Low End Lobster' had on his review model.  They are expensive for a Mexican Fender but they aren't a standard Mexican Fender, they have a better quality bridge, Di Marzio noiseless pick ups, rolled fretboard edges and all the flash colours.

This was my first fiver and I bought it to coincide with a time I would be spending at home while work was being done on my house, so I've played it a lot.

I like mine. It's a good bass for the money and I like the sounds I get from the DiMarzio Jazz pick ups and the pre amp.  Mine weighs about 4.5 KG or a bit under, ok for a 3 hour rehearsal.

There only issue with mine is that it is a bit neck dive.  This is my 7th bass and 1st fiver; it's the first bass I've owned with neck dive and I found it irritating at first.  Fender spent all the extra on the bridge , pups, gold coloured bits etc, why didn't they put on ultra-light tuners?  That would help.  I have decent 4" straps so I can live with the neck dive and apart from that, I like it.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/03/2022 at 22:42, Geddys nose said:

Mine’s as good as any inside, shielding on cover and no missing paint anywhere.

Very neat actually, must have been the first batch which had problems.
01B11D04-DE32-4627-94DC-F24AFE674A5E.thumb.jpeg.b070af1d5efa346d446183fbad9597a9.jpeg

I've just returned one as it was really bad - Infact all of GAK's stock have the same issues! 

So got some money back and going to resolve it myself as it's too nice to let go for summit as "silly". The Pre-amp is getting ripped out straight away & replaced once I double check the cavity size.

I don't know how they can make something so nice and fail at this last part of shielding , grounding and a decent pre-amp.....  

• Like 2