Why become a member? ×

Thomann post Brexit?

xgsjx

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

And if selling your used gear to export you can claim back your VAT, widens your market for expensive stuff.

Individuals cannot claim back VAT when selling, ever. Businesses, yes, but not ornery folk.

Edited by Dad3353

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Individuals cannot claim back VAT when selling, ever. Businesses, yes, but not ornery folk.

The process of reclaiming the VAT on a return isn't clear either. I couldn't find a sensible explanation on HMRCs website, it was so slanted toward VAT-registered entities, not Joe Punter returning his faulty kit to a non-UK retailer.

On 13/04/2021 at 13:34, TheLowDown said:

When did the change from DPD to UPS happen for you?

And when did the change to UPS from being good to not being good happen? I've always used them when sending instruments etc as they used to provide very good service.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I think they are a bit overstretched

Could be a bit understaffed then,  their largest hub is a couple of miles up the road from me and a significant proportion of the workforce is (or was) Polish so they might have lost a lorra lorra staff after Brexit.

38 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Follow the arrows back from where you quoted me. They slip in export after all the return phaff. Exporting and returning is the same revenue process.

Al the 'link' stuff (on Page 2...) is for businesses. There is no provision in the UK for an individual to claim back VAT on exporting anything. -_-

• Like 1

Ordered a HB PSU (they really are good value and very compact!) from Thomann.

Under £135 so no additional charges to pay UPS. Arrived within a week and completely hassle free.

All good: somehow, despite you know what, the world is still turning 😊

I sent a package to Ireland on Wednesday with DPD through Parcel2go, it arrived yesterday morning

Package to the same Irish destination I sent out on the 13th with UPS is still at UPS LondonHub, finally cleared customs yesterday but no sign of it actually getting out of there and on its way to my customer; UPS international is a complete frustrating f-up, the only thing that works normally is the booking, giving them your money and collection, after that its a complete mess.

I've got 3 packages en-route from the US at the moment, for the business, and I am not expecting it to go any better than it did back in January, if anything recent experience says it will be a significantly worse outcome. All they do is waste resources answering the phone and email, laying platitudes on you, promising resolution and delivering diddley squat, in my experience. The fact that the country manager for UPS is based in Belgium says it all.

Edited by Aidan63
spelling

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

All good: somehow, despite you know what, the world is still turning 😊

If only. Having said that, now my wife's company has accepted the loss of all her European customers, it's only supplies that are the problem!

on the plus side, as you say, if you want something under £135, it is generally good. I got some wireless sensors from AliExpress. They also collected vat and came slightly faster than my last order from Germany!

Ali Express have joined the HMRC's VAT scheme and do collect the VAT on behalf of our government.I have also bought some PCBs forma Chinese company recently and they have also signed up. It cannot be beyond the wit of a German company to do the same.

I nearly ordered a pedal from Musique Shop in France who, with a 5% discount, were coming in just below £135 and seemed to be offering a free courier with UPS.

But I fell off my chair at PayPal's crap forex rate which effectively adds another 4.5% (i.e. back up to £137). HSBC & Mastercard between then are not much better at 4% combined "non-sterling" fees.

Then factor in possible loss-in-transit and difficulties with returning and paying just £1 more from DV247 (which is the UK branch of a German retailer, Music Store) was a no hassle, no brainer.

Be great if Thomann took a similar step and set up a UK branch - dunno if their market share and holding onto a loyal customer base over here would warrant it?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Be great if Thomann took a similar step and set up a UK branch - dunno if their market share and holding onto a loyal customer base over here would warrant it?

You would think that was a no-brainer too - the UK must have been their main market (or one of them) after Germany itself.  And it's not as if they had no notice.  Perhaps they're waiting it out in the hope that a more favurable trade deal comes along soon?

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

What do you mean? There's nothing unfavourable to EU merchants about the status quo except having to deal across tax regimes with documentation.

That's a huge exception.

I meant a more favourable (apologies for the previous typo) deal in terms of trade with UK private customers.  Do you imagine Thomann (or any other EU-based company with a formerly-significant customer base in the UK) prefers the current situation to what existed before?  I for one have been put off buying anything from them which costs more than £135 before VAT.  I'm sure I'm not the only  one here.

1 minute ago, petecarlton said:

That's a huge exception.

I meant a more favourable (apologies for the previous typo) deal in terms of trade with UK private customers.  Do you imagine Thomann (or any other EU-based company with a formerly-significant customer base in the UK) prefers the current situation to what existed before?  I for one have been put off buying anything from them which costs more than £135 before VAT.  I'm sure I'm not the only  one here.

Ain't nothing to be done about the current situation unless you mean undo Brexit. EU merchants have to jump through HM Customs hoops. No big deal. The only difference is the effort to do that.

UK customers pay them the same price as the EU customers with none of their sales tax. Customer pays for shipping and UK sales tax at the border.

What would you suggest is out of kilter that could be tweaked to make it more favourable to sell out of EU to UK?