Why become a member? ×

Do you play like a girl?

bass_ferret

I'm a lazy twat and use a [i]huge[/i] amount of compression to mask my pathetic attempts to keep to a consistent level. If I want more or less noize there's a knob behind me that will sort that out, and I'm not talking about our drummer. :)

I'm not sure I'd refer to it as 'playing like a girl', but I know a couple of players who just tickle the strings a bit and to be honest they look like they are going to doze off!

Generally I like to 'give it a bit of welly' as the technical term goes. AND I'M NOT REALLY ONE FOR STANDING STILL EITHER (oops, bloody caps lock!) I never practice sitting down.

EDIT: SteveO - LOL'd at your last sentence!

Edited by Golchen

Interesting one this, I always used to play way too hard, caused by years of practising without being plugged in. Consequently I needed a higher action to stop the strings "clacking" against the frets. I now have a Tascam thingy to practice with, which has really helped, but I think the main reason I can play lightly now, is that since building my BFM O10.5 cabs, I can hear myself perfectly on stage and I dont need to "dig in" to hear myself.

Unless I want to! :)

[quote name='andyonbass' post='440820' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:37 AM']Interesting one this, I always used to play way too hard, caused by years of practising without being plugged in.[/quote]

Just the same with me. As a result my right hand fingers land so hard on the next string up from the one I've played that insted of just damping it it makes a quacking,clicky sound. Pity because with a lighter touch it would form a brilliant natural damping technique.

In my earlier playing days , too , I often had (what I now realise to be) inadequate power on stage relative to my play mates and that made me hit harder too , to be heard.

I'm better practising or recording - though my playing's probably not as 'exciting' if that's the word. Once I get a gig sweat on though - back to bad habits.

Heavier guage strings help - they're tighter and the problem reduces a little.

Having said all that - I don't worry about it too much. I just crack on. Sure there's plenty of craftsman joiners hit a nail too hard , plenty of chefs chop a carrot too hard etc etc. You do the job - warts and all - make the cupboard,cook the casserole,play your gig - draw your wage - say thankyou and goodnight

[quote name='BigRedX' post='441006' date='Mar 21 2009, 12:03 PM']I don't understand what the difference is between the first two options.[/quote]

I assume the first option means playing so gently that you can't play a quiet passage any more gently.

I voted for the middle option but i certainly used to be the third option which I blame on too loud guitards!

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='441024' date='Mar 21 2009, 12:30 PM']you know what? if I was a girl, I wouldn't feel ashamed of playing like a girl.

with threads like this, is there any wonder that female bass players don't hang around the forum?[/quote]

Absolutely +100. Maybe we could poll the female subscibers to see if they can make stupid comments like an ignorant male?

[quote name='dood' post='441037' date='Mar 21 2009, 12:46 PM']Absolutely +100. Maybe we could poll the female subscibers to see if they can make stupid comments like an ignorant male?[/quote]

Where does that leave the Animals then...? :)

Garry

How one plays the bass, or the degree of attack, has nothing to do with gender specificity.

If you rephrased the question, it would better demonstrate that the real query is about dynamic control as a function of intensity of attack.

Playing through inadequate ampage/too low volume and attacking the bass to be heard is NOT dynamic control. In this scenario there is effectively no means by which to create an effective dynamic range (using fingers). If you are digging in like an animal just to be heard, that's a function of inefficient integration of bass volume/tone in a band context and has no relevance to dynamics whatsoever.

Playing with volume at an appropriate level whereby the bass can be heard with the lightest touch, affords a huge range of attack and dynamic control options.

Regards

AM