Why become a member? ×

Interesting 'semi' isolated Joe Osborn track

Mykesbass

Really enjoyed hearing this. Wasn’t aware how busy the bassline was either TBH. Great to hear Karen’s voice without all the layered backing vocals which for me made a lot of The Carpenters stuff hard to listen to.

Thanks for posting., cheers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Heaven knows why?

I have a strange memory - remembers things it doesn't really need to, and you having cited JO several times is one of the things stuck in there. What I need in the supermarket, sadly, isn't!!

19 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

... you having cited JO several times ...

I was a teenager in the 1960s. At the time, I had no idea who the players were but Osborn was one of the bassists you heard constantly (without knowing it , of course) on much US pop music. Hence, even though I didn't take up bass playing until the early 1970s, JO had aleady influenced me. It is unfortunate that he didn't influence me more.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lowdown said:

I'm not sure who's leading who, or if it's just plain ol' musical intuition but, Bass and Voice at times, are phrasing together. Terrific stuff.

:D

Yes, a couple of interesting bass entries that are not the obvious choice but work really beautifully.

• Like 2

Very interesting to hear this. Thanks for posting @Mykesbass. Karen Carpenter's voice was incredible (she was a pretty decent drummer, too, of course) and certainly a personal favourite, only matched -- at least in the 'pop' world at the time -- by (imho) Mama Cass Elliot and Dusty Springfield.

• Like 1

There are a few players who were on ‘everthing’ back in the day  Jamerson/Babbit, Duck, JO. Their playing  has had an indelible impact on bass playing generally and how we define a style or fill the space.

There have been many great innovators since in various genres from funk to punk but there are ‘signposts’ in this and other classics which as a bassist we must have in our vocabulary. 

Finally what a magical thing to hear only bass, drums and in this case exquisite vocals. Something about the bass and how it flirts with melody, rhythm along with  the Vocal

• Like 2