Why become a member? ×

Visa free touring in EU.

Graulges

Regarding the original post, I've read the guidelines online which clearly state no visas are needed for less than 90 days touring in the EU (and likewise for those visiting the UK).  Quotes from various agents support this.  Not sure this is really a story or just a paper trying to stir up trouble.

Anyway, back to looking at pedals and stuff...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I suspect that was inevitable, what with the OP being about how the Government turned down visa-free touring for musicians during their Brexit negotiations!

OTOH...

25 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Regarding the original post, I've read the guidelines online which clearly state no visas are needed for less than 90 days touring in the EU (and likewise for those visiting the UK).  Quotes from various agents support this.  Not sure this is really a story or just a paper trying to stir up trouble.

Anyway, back to looking at pedals and stuff...

Hmmm - which is correct?

(A link to those specific guidelines would be handy!)

From HMRC

Entry requirements

If you’re travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for less than 90 days in a 180-day period, you may be able to do some things without getting a visa or work permit, for example going to a business meeting.

You may need a visa, work permit or other documentation if you’re planning to stay for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, or if you’ll be doing any of the following:

• transferring from the UK branch of a company to a branch in a different country (‘intra-corporate transfer’), even for a short period of time
  • carrying out contracts to provide a service to a client in another country in which your employer has no presence
  • providing services in another country as a self-employed person

For France (gateway to Europe for many)

• to stay longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the French government’s entry requirements. Check with the French Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit you may need

From French Embassy

UK citizens going to France to work for up to 90 days will not require a visa. They will need to obtain a temporary work permit unless travelling for a sporting, cultural or scientific event, a seminar or trade show, the production and broadcast of cinematographic and audiovisual works, modelling, IT/ asset management/ insurance/ finance/ design/ engineering audit or expertise missions.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

From HMRC

Entry requirements

If you’re travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for less than 90 days in a 180-day period, you may be able to do some things without getting a visa or work permit, for example going to a business meeting.

You may need a visa, work permit or other documentation if you’re planning to stay for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, or if you’ll be doing any of the following:

• transferring from the UK branch of a company to a branch in a different country (‘intra-corporate transfer’), even for a short period of time
  • carrying out contracts to provide a service to a client in another country in which your employer has no presence
  • providing services in another country as a self-employed person

For France (gateway to Europe for many)

• to stay longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the French government’s entry requirements. Check with the French Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit you may need

From French Embassy

UK citizens going to France to work for up to 90 days will not require a visa. They will need to obtain a temporary work permit unless travelling for a sporting, cultural or scientific event, a seminar or trade show, the production and broadcast of cinematographic and audiovisual works, modelling, IT/ asset management/ insurance/ finance/ design/ engineering audit or expertise missions.

So basically a business trip for a week is fine if you're an employee, but if you're a contractor or self-employed it might be tricky.

As if IR35 wasn't complicated enough!

18 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

So basically a business trip for a week is fine if you're an employee, but if you're a contractor or self-employed it might be tricky.

As if IR35 wasn't complicated enough!

France looks ok from this but I didn't look at other countries that you might go through to get anywhere.

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I suspect that was inevitable, what with the OP being about how the Government turned down visa-free touring for musicians during their Brexit negotiations!

Ironically, when I shared the petition on Facebook about half the people who signed or commented on it had openly voted Leave. This included the most vociferous supporters of the petition / critics of the Government’s handling of the issue. Of course, they all knew what they were voting for… 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Lol.

I'm going to resist re-listing the half dozen or so MAJOR benefits why 17M people voted for Brexit and why they are happy we have done so. (Yup it's a democracy and there was no voter fraud). Not least 'cos the mods have asked us not too for the past 350 threads.

I've agonised over posting this as I'm mostly sick of the subject but...I think it's only fair that you do. If it's ok for us to go on about the problems caused by Brexit then you should be allowed  to tell us what the benefits are. I'm not trying to get an argument going, I'd genuinely like to know.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

I've agonised over posting this as I'm mostly sick of the subject but...I think it's only fair that you do. If it's ok for us to go on about the problems caused by Brexit then you should be allowed  to tell us what the benefits are. I'm not trying to get an argument going, I'd genuinely like to know.

*munches Sovereignty-sprinkled popcorn*

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

Len is right. Let's keep on topic. Goodness knows the public mud slinging is one the mods have repeatedly asked us not to engage in, and I'm going to try harder to heed their requests although it's tricky when too often it's only side of the debate playing ball!

But I'm really happy to have a polite, private discussion on pro / cons of Brexit with a fellow BCer if you're really interested? PM me if you want to do that and I'll set up a private thread and we can add any others in if they want to join. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, petebassist said:

Was reading Tim Burgess' article about this in the Independent, along with this comment:

image.png.e60764b2ba356aa21c4644138fa45c79.png

The head of the CBSO was saying similar on TV a while ago. Of course a symphony orchestra doesn’t travel alone, like a rock band they have all manner of support staff travelling with them. There’s also opera companies, ballet companies too. They’re not sitting at home when they aren’t performing in London or Birmingham. These various cultural enterprises have a fantastic reputation abroad, they’re ambassadors for the country. What a sad loss if they’re prevented from continuing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Earbrass said:

Feel free to start your own thread about any of the benefits that Brexit has brought to the bass-playing community.

Feel free to start your own thread about how brexit has affected other areas than Visa-free touring in the EU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, prowla said:

Feel free to start your own thread about how brexit has affected other areas than Visa-free touring in the EU.

On 10/01/2021 at 18:55, Al Krow said: