Why become a member? ×

Visa free touring in EU.

Graulges

2 minutes ago, peteb said:

That is arguably true, but I used to deal with those actually in government. They never used to be this amateurish (e.g. not reading a very important report related to their portfolio because they were organising a nativity play! That is inexcusable and would never have happened 20 years ago). 

No - and if it did, they wouldn't be in office the next day to tell the story.

4 minutes ago, prowla said:

I have to ask - are you actually trying to get this thread pulled?

In fairness, this is a discussion on politicians rather than politics. I think it's fair comment to say that politicians, these days, exhibit a marked tendency to stay in post when they have done things that would have been career-ending a few years ago.

I should add that this is not just the UK either. There was a time when openly mocking/imitating someone with a disability would have been the last time such a person was able to aspire to/hold any kind of political office.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, prowla said:

I have to ask - are you actually trying to get this thread pulled?

it's bound to happen sooner or later

Just now, Steve Browning said:

In fairness, this is a discussion on politicians rather than politics. I think it's fair comment to say that politicians, these days, exhibit a marked tendency to stay in post when they have done things that would have been career-ending a few years ago.

that maybe because they got away with stuff years ago because there wasn't the same media scrutiny, today every mistake is analysed intensely because of 24 hour rolling news, they've got to talk about something   

• Like 1

Just now, EBS_freak said:

< RESET >

So, touring in the EU.

The visa bit is an inconvenience for sure but, as I have said, if the carnet is required you're looking at significant cost. It would be dull to have to arrange visas but a bit of time spent on-line would take care of it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

The visa bit is an inconvenience for sure but, as I have said, if the carnet is required you're looking at significant cost. It would be dull to have to arrange visas but a bit of time spent on-line would take care of it.

Plus the VAT on the merchandise at each border. That would be quite an outlay, and probably the biggest financial drain on a tour. You pay it upfront on every t-shirt, CD, cassette, poster etc, then claim back what you haven’t sold at a later date. There was a time a few years ago, that the sale of merchandise was what ultimately made the tour financially viable. I don’t know if that’s still the case. The last time I performed in Paris I took cassettes with me, the sale of those paid for my Airbnb.

It mostly seems to be this and the carnet that artists - including well known artists - are complaining about. 

It’s not just the artist that I have sympathy for. There’s a few people I follow on social media, who are quite openly saying that it’s going to seriously impact their foreign touring - someone on Facebook shared a post from Fish, the ex-singer from Marillion. These artists have a very loyal fan base, the highlight of their year is often - for a variety of reasons - seeing their favourite artist on tour. It’s extremely upsetting for them too. So it’s not just us, the musician that’s affected by this.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

[Mod's Hat On]
It's too much of a hassle to tidy up topics of the sort. This one has had its say, and is now 'retired'. The political garbage will have to stay, but it's polluting an otherwise interesting topic. A shame, but there you go. Some folks just can't help it, it seems.
[/Mod's Hat On]

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 7

I must have been talking to myself earlier. Did anyone actually read my requests to quit the political stuff and return to the actual subject? Or could you just not be àrsed to? Either way, this interesting and useful thread is dead now, so well done. *slow handclap*

• Like 2