Why become a member? ×

Visa free touring in EU.

Graulges

Just going to throw it in there...

you know that the touring companies that were UK based and hauling gear across the EU for a living are now going to be sat at home whilst an EU company takes over because it's easier for them to cross boundaries... right? It's not just the people on the stage that are impacted...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Just going to throw it in there...

you know that the touring companies that were UK based and hauling gear across the EU for a living are now going to be sat at home whilst an EU company takes over because it's easier for them to cross boundaries... right? It's not just the people on the stage that are impacted...

Exactly. Not sure if anyone read this blog that I also posted on P2 of this thread...?

http://www.timbrennan.co.uk/blog/visa-free-work-permits-for-the-eu27/uk-technical-crew-to-lose-out-in-work-permit-chaos/

56 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

obviously this post didn't appear in everybody's thread

So it would seem.

Final notice folks. Stick to the topic, cut out the irrelevant Brexit stuff and the political opinion, or the thread dies. Thank you.

• Like 2

One thing which I don’t know if anyone has considered, UK bands, certainly on some scenes pack in crowds in some EU countries where bands from that country might not. As such if those countries care about live music they might assist in this. After all it increases revenue for venues/businesses, gives their own bands an opportunity to play to the larger crowds generated and keeps live music going in their countries. Most of the venues we played in Germany had posters all over the place of past/future gigs and probably 80/85% of the headliners were UK acts. I can’t see Germany not wanting that to continue.

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah but that's kinda my point. This visa issue is still getting sorted and whilst there are no gigs for a while (as you know I really hope that changes soon) it's simply one that is lower down priority lists of ministers.

I know its a massive issue for us musicians. But right now the govt has got bigger things in its in box. If what @Lardy has just said is correct, that is great. The EU will reciprocate if they know what's good for them. As I mentioned previously, from an economic perspective its the countries where the bands play who are the main beneficiaries of tours and not the bands themselves (apart from the mega stars).

The thing is the changes need to be in place plenty of time before the Covid restrictions are lifted, so that everyone knows exactly what is required once gigging anywhere is possible again. 

Right now what I am being told is that given the current situation (pandemic restrictions not withstanding) it's simply too much effort to bring the support band as well as the headliner over from the UK. 

@Al Krow I admire your optimism, but right now I see a opportunity which we have spent the last 3 years working towards by delivering at the UK gigs in serious danger of slipping away.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

One thing which I don’t know if anyone has considered, UK bands, certainly on some scenes pack in crowds in some EU countries where bands from that country might not. As such if those countries care about live music they might assist in this. After all it increases revenue for venues/businesses, gives their own bands an opportunity to play to the larger crowds generated and keeps live music going in their countries. Most of the venues we played in Germany had posters all over the place of past/future gigs and probably 80/85% of the headliners were UK acts. I can’t see Germany not wanting that to continue.

British bands definitely have an allure for European audiences as many of the world's biggest bands came from these islands (from the Beatles to Black Sabbath to the Clash). However, support for live music is stronger in most European countries than in England these days (maybe not so much in Scotland & Ireland) and there are plenty of good bands over on the mainland. UK bands not getting gigs in the EU may well mean more gigs for them. 

I don't think that the EU wants to exclude British acts, hence the offer in the first place, but it will have to be reciprocal. I wish that UK Govt cared as much...! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

Oooh, fishy.

This guy is threatening to dump tonnes of rotten langoustines and other seafood outside the Houses of Parliament, unless the UK government solves the industry’s Brexit exports crisis.

It’s actually this kind of thing that might work to help everyone. With Covid restrictions in place, people are obviously limited to how they can protest.

Maybe when the restrictions are lifted, musicians could arrange for a hundred or so bagpipe players to play outside number 10 from 6am every day?

From 9am it’d be the bassist’s turn, 100 bassists joining in with a mass bass solo.

We’d keep the mass drum solo in reserve - kind of a nuclear option.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ambient said:

Oooh, fishy.

This guy is threatening to dump tonnes of rotten langoustines and other seafood outside the Houses of Parliament, unless the UK government solves the industry’s Brexit exports crisis.

It’s actually this kind of thing that might work to help everyone. With Covid restrictions in place, people are obviously limited to how they can protest.

Maybe when the restrictions are lifted, musicians could arrange for a hundred or so bagpipe players to play outside number 10 from 6am every day?

From 9am it’d be the bassist’s turn, 100 bassists joining in with a mass bass solo.

We’d keep the mass drum solo in reserve - kind of a nuclear option.

I wonder if they'll find anybody to clean it up... or whether the "stay at home" mantra will be more appealing to those in the frame?

• Like 1

When the minister for fish admits that she was too busy organising a nativity play to read the trade deal - bearing in mind that fishing was a big part of this whole malarkey - then what chance does an industry that they don’t care about got?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

When the minister for fish admits that she was too busy organising a nativity play to read the trade deal - bearing in mind that fishing was a big part of this whole malarkey - then what chance does an industry that they don’t care about got?

If she had bothered to read it she would have found that they had capitulated on fishing, even after all of the fuss that they made about it! 

The level of incompetence of government in this country over the past decade has been staggering. It never used to be like that (both parties were pretty capable at governing the country, whether you liked them or not).  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, peteb said:

If she had bothered to read it she would have found that they had capitulated on fishing, even after all of the fuss that they made about it! 

The level of incompetence of government in this country over the past decade has been staggering. It never used to be like that (both parties were pretty capable at governing the country, whether you liked them or not).  

That was to do with quotas and other things. The problem they’re facing now is selling what they catch - we sell 70% of our catch into Europe. It used to be that it was caught one day, and would be in the foreign fish market the following morning - all nice and fresh. Now it’s caught one day and spends the rest of the week sitting on a dock. If you see my post above suggesting a mass bass solo outside Parliament, that’s inspired by a guy who’s threatening to dump hundreds of tonnes of rotten langoustine outside parliament. Scottish trawlers aren’t leaving port, there’s no point.

nobody said there wouldn't be any short term disruption while everybody got used to new rules, some think it is worthwhile for the, hopefully,  long term benefits, others use any problems as proof that we shouldn't have left the EU

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, peteb said:

I wonder if that`s due to now many of them being career politicians, rather than people who went into politics for grass-roots genuine reasons, as you`re right, but I`d also include the levels of competence amongst the opposition parties as well, there`s not many politicians nowadays that inspire confidence.

3 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

nobody said there wouldn't be any short term disruption while everybody got used to new rules, some think it is worthwhile for the, hopefully,  long term benefits, others use any problems as proof that we shouldn't have left the EU

"short term" "long term benefits" - does that mean in our life time or not? Im sure we'll be able to look back in 150 years time from now and be commenting on a thread on bass chat how in hindsight, everything ran perfectly. :P

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, peteb said:

Rosie coloured spectacles there, when we look into the past we tend only remember the good stuff

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I wonder if that`s due to now many of them being career politicians, rather than people who went into politics for grass-roots genuine reasons, as you`re right, but I`d also include the levels of competence amongst the opposition parties as well, there`s not many politicians nowadays that inspire confidence.

To be fair, that isn't the reason. There were always career politicians, but the ones in power were more capable and got to where they were because they good rather than their connections or views on a single issue. 

I know a lot of people are very reluctant to accept this, but there are still plenty of capable politicians on both sides of the house, but unfortunately they are not in the cabinet now. 

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

Rosie coloured spectacles there, when we look into the past we tend only remember the good stuff

Not at all, I used to have to deal with politicians and can tell you that there has been a very definite decline. 

1 minute ago, peteb said:

To be fair, that isn't the reason. There were always career politicians, but the ones in power were more capable and got to where they were because they good rather than their connections or views on a single issue. 

I know a lot of people are very reluctant to accept this, but there are still plenty of capable politicians on both sides of the house, but unfortunately they are not in the cabinet now. 

Politian's appear very capable when they haven't actually got much power, it can all unravel when they have

3 minutes ago, peteb said:

Not at all, I used to have to deal with politicians and can tell you that there has been a very definite decline. 

there's a long list of political pink torpedo ups just from my memory, Wilson, devaluation, Heath, miners strike, Callahan had to go to the EMF to stop us going bankrupt, Thatcher, the Poll Tax, Blair, Iraq, the list goes on

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Politian's appear very capable when they haven't actually got much power, it can all unravel when they have

That is arguably true, but I used to deal with those actually in government. They never used to be this amateurish (e.g. not reading a very important report related to their portfolio because they were organising a nativity play! That is inexcusable and would never have happened 20 years ago). 

I am not talking about whether you liked the politicians or agreed with their policies, but how they implemented them. 

Edited by peteb