Why become a member? ×

Electric Drumkit Advise Please!

binky_bass

I've recently bought a cheap electric drumkit and am really enjoying playing! However, the cheapness of the kit is noticeable in almost every area, the feel, the sound, the pads, etc. 

I'm strongly debating a serious upgrade, I'd be looking at spending up to £1000 on something second hand, most likely something Roland. 

Does anyone have any experience with higher end electric drumkit? Any things I should look out for or particular models that are better than others?

Any advice would be very welcome! :)

Russ.

Upgrade your snare to one with a mesh head - arguably that’s the one you’ll be using most often, than think about your kick.

a better quality sound module will help too, but I think the feel of the snare is the most important thing.

Just now, paul_5 said:

Upgrade your snare to one with a mesh head - arguably that’s the one you’ll be using most often, than think about your kick.

a better quality sound module will help too, but I think the feel of the snare is the most important thing.

I'm looking at buying a full and complete kit, likely pre-owned to get the best bang for buck, rather than upgrade bits and pieces, so at my price point (circa £1000) I'm almost certain that would be mesh heads all round! I'm definitely only interested in a mesh head set up for sure. :)

Just now, paul_5 said:

Sound module is critical for sure. Snare perhaps depends on genre, for jazz I found with even a top end kit the cymbals were more the problem 

I'm currently trawling through the ads to see whats what! I think I've found one that appears to represent the best bang for buck, but there's a lot of similarly named variations under the Roland umbrella, so really need to truely understand whats the right set up for me before laying down a small fortune.

When I bought mine I spent a lot of time on drummist sites reading reviews and opinions, I was blown away by it when it arrived, sounded way better than I expected, felt like a real kit, and was so easy to record. Only thing I didn't like was the frame, still prefer traditional stands 

I'm a drummer, a real one 😱 The ONLY electric kit I've ever had that didn't BEND under normal use is a Roland TD-30KV

Anything that doesn't have a real rack and real stands is a bit of a challenge I'd say. Same as with a bass probably, get the best you can in your budget to avoid disappointment.

The problem with e-drums us that you start to resent the limitations of a kit very quickly, and the bit by bit improvements that can result end up way more costly than buying a great kit first time. You my not need a TD30, but if you do, not buying one is a false economy 

2 minutes ago, caitlin said:

Get an acoustic kit, you get a lot more for your money :D

All the stuff on ebay is local pickup :/ the VOLUME of boxes that a TD30-KV comes in is quite something.

True on both counts, I sold my TD30 because there is nothing better than real drums. 

And yes, the box count is ridiculous 

Don't get me wrong, an acoustic kit is definitely the way forward, but it just isn't viable for so many reasons... predominantly because I live in a terrace house and my neighbours would literally have me killed if I started bludgeoning their ears with the smashery of acoustic drums! 

@Bankai - that Millennium kits looks interesting... I'll have a good solid look at that, thanks! 

I got my TD30 because I couldn't afford the TD50 :P

I spent a year trying to work out how to build a sound proof studio either in my house or in my garden and after accepting that it was either impossibly expensive or would ultimately make my house collapse, or would spring a leak behind 4 layers of green glued sheet rock if built outside.

Given that the TD30 was 1/10 of the cost of TRYING to play my real kit on a shoestring it seemed a no brainer, as Beedster says there's no substitute for real drums, but I have not regretted getting the roland kit for a MOMENT. Of course it's my 'main' instrument so that possibly changes my investment in it.

Just now, binky_bass said:

Don't get me wrong, an acoustic kit is definitely the way forward, but it just isn't viable for so many reasons... predominantly because I live in a terrace house and my neighbours would literally have me killed if I started bludgeoning their ears with the smashery of acoustic drums! 

@Bankai - that Millennium kits looks interesting... I'll have a good solid look at that, thanks! 

1 minute ago, binky_bass said:

Bit old, not sure I'd be BOUNCING for less than a TD20 brain. no hihat, just a bouncy rubber pad.

what's your timescale, I'm a skinflint so i stick a saved search in ebay and steal the good one that eventually turns up that's in price :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, caitlin said:

I spent a year trying to work out how to build a sound proof studio either in my house or in my garden and after accepting that it was either impossibly expensive or would ultimately make my house collapse, or would spring a leak behind 4 layers of green glued sheet rock if built outside.

I had the same decision, but decided to go the other way. But if I had to have an electric kit, it’d be a Roland and the 30 or higher depending on budget at the time.

5213581D-F756-417D-97D9-5B0CD9A2DCC9.thumb.jpeg.92dc5bd961dabca5e0a8ee1ac8b167dc.jpeg

If anyone was wondering, it's not that the drums are small, it's that the cymbals are big. 

Edited by Bankai
  • Sad 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millenium-MPS-850-Electronic-E-Drum-Kit-/293947807710?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Think I'll keep an eye on this... 

They have got some excellent reviews, might be a good way in for less money, I can also shift it on an upgrade later. I am just starting my drumming journey after all! Just about able to play most of the Make Believe album by Weezer at the moment...