Why become a member? ×

Cimar Grabber copy, low start

Paul S

38 minutes ago, Maude said:

That's why I didn't want to go to high as there's a lot of unknowns with it. 

The seller wanted less than what it sold for. After they mentioned there was issues with the neck, but couldn't tell me what as they're not musical, I declined to pursue. They also decided not to declare that info in the ad, or too lazy to, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The seller wanted less than what it sold for. After they mentioned there was issues with the neck, but couldn't tell me what as they're not musical, I declined to pursue. They also decided not to declare that info in the ad, or too lazy to, I'm not sure.

Maybe a lucky escape then. 👍

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Does anyone know what may have happened with the original bridge holes? Looks like they may have been filled? 

Looks to me like the threaded inserts have been removed & filler or maybe bits of dowel put in the holes. You'd maybe have to remove the inserts to fit a BBOT bridge if they stood proud from the body. I think I'm right that a BBOT's more similar to an original Grabber bridge than a 3-point anyway.

It's more the horrible refin that would've put me off this, rather than the bridge. And if it does have neck problems, it's not worth any £160.

9 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Looks to me like the threaded inserts have been removed & filler or maybe bits of dowel put in the holes. You'd maybe have to remove the inserts to fit a BBOT bridge if they stood proud from the body. I think I'm right that a BBOT's more similar to an original Grabber bridge than a 3-point anyway.

It's more the horrible refin that would've put me off this, rather than the bridge. And if it does have neck problems, it's not worth any £160.

Yes the Grabber bridge is a simple string through BBOT design. I have kept the metal ashtray cover on mine as the saddle grub screws are so tall they are likely to snag your hand brutally. 

12 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

My first bass was a Melody Grabber copy. Was actually pretty good,  though I recall that the sliding pickup was quite microphonic. Probably nothing that a good wax potting wouldn't fix though. The body did look more like a pine kitchen table than any other wood too.

Similarly my Grabber’s body looks like a 70’s Ercol coffee table 😁

610F53A2-D328-46E7-B1EA-A1719EF92AC8.jpeg